advertisement

Dutch & Dutch 8C - Where are they?

What both the Kiis and Dutch&Dutch attempt is to emulate a soffit mount, flush mounting the speakers into a sufficiently massy wall absorbs all of the rear projected radiation, and the flush mounting guides off axis forward response along the front walls, hence you hear more direct sound.
This doesn't look like a wise statement since it will not only get the technically illiterate to argue against you but the technically literate as well.

Soffit mounting a low frequency driver will give a monopole radiation pattern (equal in all directions). A cardioid radiation pattern is directional and in many situations will be preferable.

Soffit mounting sends the low frequency radiation that would have gone backwards forwards. This raises the output enabling a particular driver to play louder before distorting. The cardioid radiation pattern is created by getting two sources to partially cancel. This reduces the sound level that could be achieved if the two sources acted together to create a monopole.

Soffit mounting removes the diffraction from the baffle edge. This is an improvement at higher frequencies so long as it is incorporated in the design. Better designed speakers will have incorporated the bumps and dips from baffle edge diffraction into the design of the crossover and so soffit mounting these will require more than just a correction for the changed boundary reinforcement.

For concerts, it's obviously excellent for less rearward bass noise pollution. The case from a concert SQ perspective is mixed - good for reducing feedback with on-stage equipment, not so good for maximising SPL of amp/subs. I'm sure you agree that some comments from your link make exactly these points. I think there's actually more about which to be positive indoors.

I agree it's an interesting topic.

Indeed Darren. This'll put a smile on anyones face;-)
http://www.dbaudio.com/en/systems/details/j-infra-subwoofer.html

You are right not a particularly good analogy, and rather pointless as I have yet to see a pair of soffit mounted speakers in a domestic environment althoughI am sure there are some around.
Keith

You’ve completely or intentionally missed the point.
Is there any kind of reflection cancellation or room compensation filtering (yes that’s it the digital fcukery both design elude to do) done in the recording process or in a live event? I’ll answer that for you...that’s a no.

Is there any such thing when listening to someone talk next to you... that’s also a no. So when would a well considered and setup system need such digital fcukery?
In general your answer is is a total non sequitur.
But in recording studios and live events the answer is often YES. Apparently you are unaware of them. Possibly you should look at pictures of recording studios and note that both the items you said no to are actually often used.
It's also highly likely music you enjoy listening to was recorded, mixed and mastered using such trickery. Are you not aware that one of the main markets for such equipment are people who record, mix, and master?

Or read about the electronic and physical correction used in modern concert halls and theatres for live amplification of performances. DSP is one of the many tools used.

Listening to someone talk next to you is a different phenomenon entirely. But even in that context there are situations where some kind of acoustic correction, whether physical or electronic, would help.

Dutch & Dutch owners are in for a treat this week. I just updated the firmware on my 8c and there are some nice little extras, including an extra 19 parametric EQ filter slots (24 in total per speaker), a night mode and the ability to turn off the informative but sometimes distracting illuminated logos.

advertisement

Back