advertisement

Does connecting a streamer to Ethernet make much difference compared to wifi?

Most streamers use decent buffers so network performance is not a critical issue

No it is, any streamer performance is nowhere of its potential if you will not put a decent effort in upgrading network. Buffering doesn’t prevent high frequency noise impact via mains and ethernet networks.

So no useful info about properly designed streamer or dac? It’s a pity

Just no interest in a pissing contest or silly comments about how "your system isn't resolving enough for you to hear noise"

There won't be any really poorly designed DACs or streamers these days, even the cheap chinese ones will have suitable noise rejection.

It's a non issue that is promoted or perpetuated by foo peddlers or followers.

There won't be any really poorly designed DACs or streamers these days, even the cheap chinese ones will have suitable noise rejection.

So I see kind of a contradiction vs your previous comment above. Plus it means that ‘suitable noise rejection’ doesn’t prevent cheap chinese dacs to sound horribly (what they typically do).

I know only 2 systems that perform well enough without much attention to the ethernet stuff: Aurender N200 + Audio Note Dac 5 and Grimm Audio MU1 + Chord Dave.

So I see kind of a contradiction vs your previous comment above. Plus it means that ‘suitable noise rejection’ doesn’t prevent cheap chinese dacs to sound horribly (what they typically do).

No contradiction, I just said it won't be "an issue unless you have a badly designed streamer/dac" and that most dacs/streamers these days aren't badly designed, basically to reiterate that it's a non-issue.

Sounding horrible is a subjective thing and if you think they sound horrible am not challenging what you hear.

OTOH noise over IP networks WRT analogue has been scientifically measured and proven to be a non issue in most competently designed network or ADC/DAC devices.

In the case of transporting analogue over IP it is data.

But the term "sound quality" on forums is generally a subjective one, what is measured is how much the analogue signal is degraded during the conversion and transportation process. In modern and competently designed systems that equals zero.

If you use WiFi, every packet sent by the streamer back to the router is potentially interfering with the streamer/dac. This is a strong signal.
Ethernet has to be very quiet conducted RF to pass CE regulations. The zero error rate on a decent cable means that the streamer processor is not having to do extra processing to recover the missed data, so less disturbance to playing out the file to the dac

I think there might be a market for deliberately flawed products which can have their flaws solved by buying upgrades.
I have recently started using an Intona USB isolator between a Mac and a RME DAC. I wouldn't go as far as calling the RME flawed but its USB interface needs attention.

I could not tell the difference between wired and wifi when I owned my first streamer (Auralic Aries). My set up is towards the rear of the property so we purchased a wifi extender, this worked wonderfully well and still does now with my Eversolo. No worries with long runs of cable and switches.

Potentially all the noise on the World Wide Web can find it’s way into your hifi. To prove this you only need to change your DNS server from 8.8.8.8 to 8.8.8.0. I didn’t believe it would make a difference either, but unless you try first you should refrain from both criticism and scepticism. Bits are indeed bits. But some bits are Marks and Spencers’ bits.

Potentially all the noise on the World Wide Web can find it’s way into your hifi. To prove this you only need to change your DNS server from 8.8.8.8 to 8.8.8.0. I didn’t believe it would make a difference either, but unless you try first you should refrain from both criticism and scepticism. Bits are indeed bits. But some bits are Marks and Spencers’ bits.
I didn't know of 8.8.8.0, just the 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 when it comes to Google.

It isolates the streamer from the router.

I’m not sure what this means. If you connect an Ethernet plug to a device, Unless your streamer is running on PoE, it is astronomically unlikely to be picking up electrical noise via an Ethernet connection unless something is actually broken.

When I have had electrical noise on an ethernet connected streamer, this has always been a ground loop via a bnc or rca SPDIF connector or usb plug, not via Ethernet.
If you plan just connect simple ethernet cable from the router without any other significant upgrades (power supply, switch etc.) the result may be worse than a simple wi-fi connection.
Absolute blather. What nonsense are you selling?

advertisement

Back