advertisement

Does connecting a streamer to Ethernet make much difference compared to wifi?

JezmondTutu

pfm Member
My music room is in a different part of the house hence wondering if it might be worth trying to run a cable from my router. Internet is fibre and I use BT Discs to relay the signal currently.

Thanks

Jez

It will sound exactly the same, but stuff like library updates may take a bit longer.

It would have to be a very poor Wi-Fi signal if you’re getting buffering when streaming, in which case a cable would be better. Personally, if I was going to run a cable I’d stick a Wireless Access Point on the end of it and connect to that.

If you plan just connect simple ethernet cable from the router without any other significant upgrades (power supply, switch etc.) the result may be worse than a simple wi-fi connection.

Thanks, signal is fine, nearest wifi disc is in the kitchen.

I was under the impression that streaming would sound better if you hard wired to your router. Forgive my lack of knowledge but I primarily play vinyl on my main system and digital music files but do stream from time to time.

If you plan just connect simple ethernet cable from the router without any other significant upgrades (power supply, switch etc.) the result may be worse than a simple wi-fi connection.
I have been meaning to ask for ages. What is the purpose of a network switch in an audio setup? Besides adding a few ports if you don’t have enough on your router that is?

I have been meaning to ask for ages. What is the purpose of a network switch in an audio setup? Besides adding a few ports if you don’t have enough on your router that is?

Switch is a lower-noise device compared to the router + offers re-clocking.

There are other threads that talk about this. Very contentious!

Wasn’t there a company (*) making streamers that preferred wifi?

I seem to remember something about “less noise sans wires”.

…but then again I have been running a slight fever and may be remembering things that never happened.

For the sake of discussion - I run one streamer wired, the other wireless only due to the fact one doesn’t have wifi and the other no free cable socket in the vicinity.

EDIT: That company seems to have been Auralic. :)

Wasn’t there a company (*) making streamers that preferred wifi?

I seem to remember something about “less noise sans wires”.

…but then again I have been running a slight fever and may be remembering things that never happened.

For the sake of discussion - I run one streamer wired, the other wireless only due to the fact one doesn’t have wifi and the other no free cable socket in the vicinity.

EDIT: That company seems to have been Auralic. :)
The boss of Auralic is on record as saying he prefers the use of a wireless network rather than cabled into their streamers - his name is Xuanqian Wang.

As an IT bod we always go with cabled if possible - stability/reliability, recent wireless kit is so good it makes little difference unless in a challenging environment these days. Most jobs I’m involved in now are using fibre instead of copper.

I find Wi-Fi terrible since it makes my £2500 Ethernet switches and cables redundant.
My Wi-Fi sounded terrible until I upgraded the aerial on my router. But bear in mind I live in a Faraday cage filled with state of the art ether which was blessed by a shaman from Bingley, and I have a very resolving system, so ymmv.

It isolates the streamer from the router.

advertisement

Back