advertisement

DIY Tonearm

Not sure I agree with that, as they are equivalent in my mind. As far as I can tell, all that matters is how far the centre of mass is below the pivot point. Basically, the bearing housing cup and counter weight system is like a pendulum, driven by the stylus moving through the groove on the record. For it to be stable, you want the natural frequency of oscillation to be lower than the lowest frequency note you want to be able to reproduce. For small displacements, the time period of oscillation is
5aa04824df4e09c1ae352502bdee9c92.png

That is, it depends only on length of the pendulum and we are fairly tightly constrained by just how far the centre of mass can be from the pivot point, unless you raise it well above the surface of the record which generally is not done. Might be worth trying though!

I did have a very similar thought about making the cup hang below the arm board that would be a challenge.
The only other option to increase the height would be to crank or step the head shell down.

I think that the pivot point should be as close to the plane of the record as possible, otherwise any movement around the pivot will exert a lateral stress on the stylus.

I think that the pivot point should be as close to the plane of the record as possible, otherwise any movement around the pivot will exert a lateral stress on the stylus.

Not sure how that works, but I know generally the pivot point is kept close to the plane of the record.

I did a quick calculation and the Aro pendulum natural frequency is well below 10hz, so the basic mechanics would suggest the design is stable in the audio spectrum already.

Hi

Sorry for loaning topic. I almost finished my first DIY Naim Aro Look-A-Like today. I had problems with counterweight so finally it got kind of ugly. :) But at least now I can finally listen NOFX. ;)

Pictures:

15200827275_94faa19959_c.jpg

15197790541_7e67ba49b4_c.jpg

15200444252_230985bf0d_c.jpg

15014248357_55ceb21242_c.jpg

13245288715_069ca80e2c_c.jpg

13220155144_f217cbfa25_c.jpg

13176334825_31764fdce1_c.jpg

13195250064_2eed3322f0_c.jpg

Regards

Jake

Great work there Jake, you've got further than we managed. Care to share your thoughts on some if the points we discussed here?

Stefan

Great work there Jake, you've got further than we managed. Care to share your thoughts on some if the points we discussed here?

Stefan

Hi

Of course I'll share if I got something to share. I haven't follow this thread but I'll read this and post my thoughts. :)

Regards

Jake

That's a pretty decent arm you've made there kropo. Not sure about the finger lift though I'm assuming that's just a temporary thing?

Hi

I looked this topic and I ended up with the result that I need to make another one with arrow as arm tube.

My DIY Aro was made of aluminium and steel. Counterweight, "pivot stick" plus bearing assembly and arm cup pivot was made from steel, other parts are made from aluminium.

This thread has same thoughts that I had.

First I was thinking materials, and ended to aluminium. Second was the arm tube dumbing. I haven't dumbed yet the arm tube, but have thought it. Also covering the hole at the end of the arm tube on the headshell end. At now I have clear hole there, but I was thinking to cover that with some foam or something light material. The arm tube is 10 mm aluminium tube with 12 mm aluminium tubes at the both end.

Arm cup has through and through hole for arm tube and one hole for counterweight tube. Arm tube has aperture at the bottom inside the arm cup and there is mounted the pivot and near that a hole where the inner cabling goes through.

The azimuth setting was easy to decide, eccentric counterweight.

Regards

Jake

That's a pretty decent arm you've made there kropo. Not sure about the finger lift though I'm assuming that's just a temporary thing?

Hi

Thanks, yes the finger lift is temporary, this arm is not going to stay at this setup long time. I'm building another turntable to that arm. I noticed yeasterday that this kind of "big/long" finger lift is much harder to use than smaller one, needs to change that.

On the list is:
1. New lift
2. New counterweight

3. New arm with arrow/or something as arm tube

Regards

Jake

advertisement

Back