advertisement

DIY Tonearm

The first PDF shows up as totally blank when I downloaded it. As for cloning an ARO, it is out of production now, so if you can put together an arm that performs similarly, you will probably get some interest. Not sure how much legal bother you might be in from Naim if you decide to sell it.

You probably know that Naim used competition grade arrow shafts for the armtube. You can probably copy this approach if you find an arrow of appropriate diameter, and even experiment with carbon instead of aluminium:
http://www.eastonarchery.com/products/arrows

I'm not messing with files that ask me to download stuff. That way lies pain.

As others have said, why not? One source of tapered shafts is cheap golf clubs, some may have carbon shafts, others metal. Go for it, it sounds like fun.

I once hacked a tonearm out of my broken, expensive, carbon badminton racket - sawed the shattered hoop off about 1" either side of the main stem, removed handle = nice stiff lightweight/stiff/damped 10" arm basis for an experimental gimballed arm.

- heck these days you could just buy a new carbon raquet well under 20quid just to play with...

The problem with the first file is that Mediafire wants to download a bit of 'download manager' software first - and I don't want it to so don't get to see the PDF :(. Can't you just save it as a JPG and link to Photobucket or similar?

Oddly, I can see the second file fine on my phone and iPad but not the first.

You can buy carbon fibre tubes on a certain online auction site if that's the material you wish to use for it. Good luck with it, sounds like a fun project!

The problem with the first file is that Mediafire wants to download a bit of 'download manager' software first - and I don't want it to so don't get to see the PDF :(. Can't you just save it as a JPG and link to Photobucket or similar?

Oddly, I can see the second file fine on my phone and iPad but not the first.
It never asked me to download and file manager software. Maybe try a different browser, I used Chrome.

Stefan

Hi Mark,
The first file should be a cad generated 3D pdf file (Naim Aro Clone Assembly 16012014-3D Model.pdf) I'm not sure if the Mac pc/Ipad needs to load a drive to display the 3D file. If you get the file up loaded you should be able to zoom in rotate it and turn on and off the levels. I'll try and uploaded it on google documents.

Sharif.

There are lots of retailers of titanium, aluminium alloy and carbon fibre tubing which would be suitable for making tonearms. Aluminium alloy tubes tend to be only a few pounds for a 9"-12" length, titanium is a bit more expensive, maybe £10. You can also get a suitable jewelled bearing from, for example, True Point.

There are lots of retailers of titanium, aluminium alloy and carbon fibre tubing which would be suitable for making tonearms. Aluminium alloy tubes tend to be only a few pounds for a 9"-12" length, titanium is a bit more expensive, maybe £10. You can also get a suitable jewelled bearing from, for example, True Point.

I was going to have the pivot machined up use them for the bearing cup, I may also try there jeweled bearing.

It's interesting regarding arm tube materials I will try with an arrow shaft first as I'm lead to believe that the shaft are machine to a very fine tolerance.

advertisement

Back