advertisement

Directional cables. Explain??

Maybe its the arrows and/or the direction of the manufacturers logo's and lettering that make the cable directional .... Just saying.

If we removed all marking from cables then the world would be a much simpler place.:D

LPSpinner.

It seems that all you have to do is reverse your cables and see if it makes any difference. Russ Andrews thinks it does.
I haven't tried it myself so I can't comment. Has anyone got experience of trying this experiment?
I haven't tried it, but I think one problem is that it would be very system dependant (that is if it exists at all). I HAVE heard absolute phase make an audible difference. With one system and with one particular record. I no longer have that system, and haven't heard it again. But it was real and repeatable and audible to others, but if I tried it now I would think it was inaudible. I fear this would be the same.
EDIT.
I have just (re)read Russ Andrews' tips on directionalising* cables. Funnily enough that is pretty much how I assess changes in my system; play something nasty and see what makes it less nasty.
* He needs shooting for that word alone!

It's funny that people on pfm are simultaneously getting all het up about whether cables are directional and whether life has a meaning. As above, so below. Or maybe the meaning of life is in some way connected to cable directionality? (Considers composing long analogy about cables and the path of a person's life and whether either or both need arrows to show them the way, but thinks better of it).

It's funny that people on pfm are simultaneously getting all het up about whether cables are directional and whether life has a meaning. As above, so below. Or maybe the meaning of life is in some way connected to cable directionality? (Considers composing long analogy about cables and the path of a person's life and whether either or both need arrows to show them the way, but thinks better of it).

What's funny is that my factual posts about absolute phase have been deleted. Must have stepped over an invisible and irrelevant line.

Not that it matters.

Sorry, didn't notice any facts, only some tedious personal squabbles that were clearly in breach of the AUP.

Sorry, didn't notice any facts, only some tedious personal squabbles that were clearly in breach of the AUP.

It's been shown that we can't hear absolute phase. I have absolutely nothing personal against awkwardbydesign. In fact, I have no idea who he is.

Feeling a bit bullied, here, Tony. But I guess I'll live. ;-)

Why do Naim insist on direction, I suppose they must have some reason for this as there seems no marketing benefit from it, they always state to place the green logo of the grey cable at the cd player end & their nac a5, which seems to get the thumbs up by many here & on many other forums, is also marked for direction.

Can't see why any cable manufacturer would offer this advice unless there is some benefit as there is no financial gain.

It's all part of the mystique. Other people do it so you have to fall in step as a manufacturer. Remember that hifi manufacturers live and die on the basis of selling things that are special. Really special. You can't do this if you let people think that it's just a bit of wire.

It's all part of the mystique. Other people do it so you have to fall in step as a manufacturer. Remember that hifi manufacturers live and die on the basis of selling things that are special. Really special. You can't do this if you let people think that it's just a bit of wire.
I don't buy that.

I've Googled cable directionality, and the first five pages are all hi-fi or home cinema sites.

Can anyone find anything from outside "audio circles" which shows cable directionality is anything other than imaginary? If they can, we'll eat our hats.

Just can't see why they do it, don't buy the "mystique" theory, I have met many a hifi & music lover in my 40 years listening to music & buying hifi equipment & are yet to come across one with the lack of intelligence to fall for such a mind bogglingly stupid reason as adding mystique to a cable, I'm sure most don't even think of this when buying a cable or even check which way round they put them.

It's not just me who thinks it's marketing driven:

I know of at least one cable manufacturer who is obliged to mark his cables for directionality as the market expects it.

Just can't see why they do it, don't buy the "mystique" theory, I have met many a hifi & music lover in my 40 years listening to music & buying hifi equipment & are yet to come across one with the lack of intelligence to fall for such a mind bogglingly stupid reason as adding mystique to a cable,
Just like you've never met a woman with the lack of intelligence to fall for such a mind bogglingly stupid reason as "Provitamin Q" or "serum extracts" in a bottle of bloody hair shampoo? We all know these things don't exist.

I'm sure most don't even think of this when buying a cable or even check which way round they put them.
Now there I am sure that you are wrong. If someone marks a cable then all but the most dyed-in-the-wool cable sceptics will follow the arrows. Just like we always put the trace side to positive. If we didn't then audiophilia nervosa would cripple us.

I dont dress my cables yet I am a dressed slob.

Seems to have been some thread. Having reversed arrowed cables, mixed directions for left and right it is good to see all POV coming out.

Just can't see why they do it, don't buy the "mystique" theory, I have met many a hifi & music lover in my 40 years listening to music & buying hifi equipment & are yet to come across one with the lack of intelligence to fall for such a mind bogglingly stupid reason as adding mystique to a cable, I'm sure most don't even think of this when buying a cable or even check which way round they put them.

Cables don't come with technical explanations consisting of 'added mystique' that's why people don't fall for it - what they do often come with is technical explanations consisting of pseudo science and people (not just audiophiles) are well documented as accepting explanations they don't really understand.

Can anyone find anything from outside "audio circles" which shows cable directionality is anything other than imaginary? If they can, we'll eat our hats.

I've also looked and can't find anything. Quote from Russ Andrews,

"I have since discovered that the telecommunications industry is well aware of cable directionality and applies this knowledge when laying cables".

Not enough evidence for hat eating though!

advertisement

Back