advertisement

Directional cables. Explain??

And just to take us full circle, I feel obliged to point out that the Van Damme shotgun cables are DIRECTIONAL !
Yes, the everyman's cable that goes against all the supposed hifi tosh & foo have directional cables, interesting eh.

Either you have to believe the direction thing is bull or van damme have sunk to the level of hifi hype as most here state where directional cables are concerned

I did say this in an much earlier post regarding van damme, I'm afraid they are not immune to marketing hype as some believe they are.

Sorry all you van dammers out there.

Van damme cables were designed for studio use & concert venues, mainly the latter where durability is of most importance, hifi is not it's intended target for good reason, when your at an AC/DC concert, the last thing you care about is imaging, bass depth, clarity & detail, energy & volume is all that's needed, studio's purchase this cable for very long runs & cost saving, it does enough to be able to send a signal from a to b when monitoring or blasting out at concert levels, it's an average cable that does enough for where it is required.

It has reached mythic proportions amongst some circles because it looks & feels basic so most think it can't be adding or taking away from the signal, if only it were that simple, oh & it's dead cheap.

Check the website, it's all there.

Tripe based on what exactly? That's just thread crapping without an explanation.

A couple of disgruntled van dammers I presume.

This link does a pretty good job of explaining “electricity” and some of the wrong definitions. It’s quite verbose but explains a lot in laymen’s terms ... http://www.eskimo.com/~billb/miscon/eleca.html

THE "ELECTRICITY" INSIDE OF WIRES MOVES AT THE SPEED OF LIGHT? Wrong.
In metals, electric current is a flow of electrons. Many books claim that these electrons flow at the speed of light. This is incorrect. Electrons in an electric current actually flow quite slowly; at speeds on the order of centimeters per minute. And in AC circuits the electrons don't really "flow" much at all, instead they sit in place and vibrate. It's the energy in the circuit which flows fast, not the electrons.

ELECTRIC CURRENT IS A FLOW OF ENERGY? Wrong.
Electric current is not a flow of energy; it's a flow of charge. Charge and energy are two very different things. To separate them in your mind, see this list of differences... http://amasci.com/elect/elefaq1.html#aelist

An electric current is a flowing motion of charged particles, and the particles do not carry energy along with them as they move. A current is defined as a flow of charge by I=Q/T; amperes are coulombs of charge flowing per unit time. The term "Electric Current" means the same thing as "charge flow." Electric current is a very slow flow of charges, while energy flows fast. Also, during AC alternating current the charges move slightly back and forth while the energy moves rapidly forward.

Have a look at this link, also... http://amasci.com/amateur/transis.html

Check the website, it's all there.

Tripe based on what exactly? That's just thread crapping without an explanation.

A couple of disgruntled van dammers I presume.

Nonsense about loud concerts, AC/DC, studio monitors at high levels and all other trolling shite designed to provoke. Lots of members have been around the hifi world a long time and your posts and posting style resembles a 14 yr old.
They print directional on those cable BECAUSE they are for the hifi market and gullible suckers won't entertain them without their little arrows, people who know just buy them based on the LCR figures they include in the specification and couldn't give a flying f*** about arrows.

No-one observed that having all cables uniformly marked from source to destination makes the maintenance of complex systems (studios, venues) a tad easier?

No-one observed that having all cables uniformly marked from source to destination makes the maintenance of complex systems (studios, venues) a tad easier?

Does it, though? Balanced connections only fit one way round anyway, and I'd have thought the requirement to orient your single-ended, marked cables according to the arrows would be a pain if you had them coiled up the wrong end first, for example.

How long does it take to burn a cable in then? Seeing as they aren't directional until to you use them.

Also, if there's money to be made and shareholders to hang on to, then anyone will say anything that looks like it drives sales. I must admit I bought some Chord cables with little arrows on and had to make sure they were the right way round.

I think that, for whatever reason, companies are aware that with the right tactics you can even scare a sceptic into believing in the super natural for a moment. Otherwise we wouldn't get scared by horror films.

Does it, though? Balanced connections only fit one way round anyway, and I'd have thought the requirement to orient your single-ended, marked cables according to the arrows would be a pain if you had them coiled up the wrong end first, for example.

I suspect Werner may have meant in large installed studio looms and such.
It`s always handy to to know what is coming and what is going, so to speak, especially if your main studio cable loom is eaten through by rats, as once happened to a former colleague of mine when he was working for an African broadcasting organisation.

Oh no! what if they go into an xlr patchbay, they, they, they could be coming and going at the same time!

i am there now. I have never heard of such a thing. XLR cables only fit one way around and the guys that make them do not look for arrows because they do not exist on grown up cable. jack bays would be connected with jack to jack leads called double enders, they would connect everything from mic amp the transmitter and they did not have arrows on them. That was some years before people grew ears and could hear these esoteric effects so maybe not a useful point to make!
If I was producing a product for the hi-fi market and could increase sales or hi-fi credentials by getting my cable manufacturer to print arrows on the sheath I might well do so.

i am there now. I have never heard of such a thing. XLR cables only fit one way around and the guys that make them do not look for arrows because they do not exist on grown up cable. jack bays would be connected with jack to jack leads called double enders, they would connect everything from mic amp the transmitter and they did not have arrows on them. That was some years before people grew ears and could hear these esoteric effects so maybe not a useful point to make!
If I was producing a product for the hi-fi market and could increase sales or hi-fi credentials by getting my cable manufacturer to print arrows on the sheath I might well do so.

+1;)

advertisement

Back
Top Bottom