advertisement

Digital source for Dynavector/Shahinian

Son_of_Thor

pfm Member
Hi folks,

I'm using a Young DAC with L200/HX75/Obelisk Mk1's at the moment and considering what else is out there. Anyone else using/had a similar setup in the past and changed digital source? If so, what did you consider/go for in the end?

Cheers

Si

I used a Densen 440xs/ Dnrg - and it is an excellent player . The only other source i tried was Rega Isis - to me this was Better mainly due to its presentation ie it has a fully warmer sound . Both are excellent
Now venturing down a different path:rolleyes:

Thanks for the reply, but I should have clarified that I use a media PC and the Young via USB and my collection is CD's ripped to FLAC/hi-rez downloads, haven't used CD's or vinyl for years! So essentially I'm just looking for a DAC or streaming solution..

I use a Weiss DAC2 with amarra works excellent, had a Naim CDX previous but prefer the Weiss.

L300mk2/HX1.2mk2/Obelisks2

Hi

I use a linn akurate ds mk1 with a similar system to yours (l100 instead of l
200).

It sounds great to me, definitely better than the sb touch, ifi I usb power supply and m-dac I use for my headphones.

It's brilliant with acoustic music but still rocks when called for. The only reservation would be if you prefer a more in your face sound one of the naim streamers might be better.

Cheers

Chris

Sorry to be off topic, but I'm trying to decide between the l200 and l300 pre's. Have never heard the 300 and wonder how it differs from the 200, aside from the phono stage. Use an Hx 100 with obs2. Unfortunately I'm unable to comment on the Dac question as I use a CD player and tt.
Thanks

Sorry to be off topic, but I'm trying to decide between the l200 and l300 pre's. Have never heard the 300 and wonder how it differs from the 200, aside from the phono stage. Use an Hx 100 with obs2. Unfortunately I'm unable to comment on the Dac question as I use a CD player and tt.
Thanks
With a HX100 and Obs2 it's worth the extra. I've done the dem. The L300 has more of the L200's qualities (open and clean) and it does it with more ease.

I've used a number of digital sources with my Arcs over the years. Arcam/Rega/Technics CD players. JRiver via ultrabook/Bitperfect via MacMini both into DPA DAC. Most of them good, although I think the Rega or the JRiver tied for the best of bunch. However, I now just use Sonos which I greatly prefer, with a Deezer premium subscription or .flac files which represent my ripped CD library. If I absolutely had to have a CD player again, I'd go for the Rega Isis, I think. However, I love the convenience of having a massive music library available to me all the time. If I love what I'm listening to, I go and buy the vinyl. If I don't, then I continue to stream it.

As ever it depends on your budget. This is where I have ended up with CA - Weiss DAC202=> Meridian 559*2 => Shahinian Obeilsk 2. I also have a tt setup but we'll skip that for now.

If you bought a s/h DAC202 ~£2.5/3K you can sell your L200 to release funds as the Weiss has its own volume control and pre-amplification built in.

Next upgrade to the Obs 2. The change is not subtle and its like a complete upgrade to the next model up the Shahinian range. Finally replace your power amp. If you like DV then an HX1.2/HX100 but the 559s are steal at the s/h price. I have two each in bridged mode.

The thing is buying s/h is that if its not your cup of tea you can move things on for little if any loss. Mind you I paid full price for my Ob2s but I did get a jolly good trade in agains the Mk1s.

Cheers,

DV

Thanks Darth,
The 300 is at least twice the price so I would hope
For a major improvement. It seems you viewit as better all around but not necessarily a huge improvement.

I went from CDX2 555PS to a MAC/Amarra then finally to the Weiss MAN301. It is great I use the volume control via IPad music library so easy to access. Give Keith at Purite audio a ring best dealer I have come across.

Thanks Rob, I guess both you and Darthv see it as worthwhile even at twice the price of the 200.
L

Thanks for the replies folks. I've owned or spent hours listening to CDP's by a lot of the vendors suggested albeit > 10 years ago in most instances. Never got on with Linn digital sources (although I had an LP12 for a few years and loved it!) as I found them a little too laid back and found Rega a bit too 'warm' sounding for my tastes. I've also owned Naim CDP's in the past - CDX which I didn't get on with and CD3.5 which I loved so they're a possible option. I have a friend with one of the Naim streamers so might see if I can try that with my kit...

Wouldn't mind a listen to a Weiss, but I fear they are likely to be out of my price range (less than £1.5k realistically). I think the L200 is going to have to stay so I can use an input for the telly/Blueray player...

Anyone tried a Teddy-DAC with anything approaching my setup?

Si

I'm now using my Squeezebox Touch into a Naim DAC into my L300, and I'm over the moon with it. Incredible what the SBT can do given a good DAC and a bit of attention to setup. It's displaced my Audiolab 8200CDQ which was no slouch itself but no signs of law of diminishing returns kicking in.

So many choices . . .

Good time to be shopping though. It's dead important to set and stick to a budget for the whole source, and make a decision early about SPDIF v USB.

Before that, though, your biggest decision is whether to keep the L200, or shop for a DAC/Pre: even an all-digital DAC will happily field inputs from the TV and BluRay, but there are a few models around that behave like true preamps, with analog as well as digital inputs (ie, Benchmark DAC2, SoTM, etc). That might radically reset your DAC budget. Crucial, too, to listen around before committing your cash: I find there's a similar characteristic to the Linn, Weiss - and higher up the food chain - dCS - products, which some love and others find 'glassy'.

DAC/pre's have definitely got better in the last 18 months: they're not now all 'thin and transparent'.

Interesting to see suggestions around DAC/digital pre's with analogue inputs as well - I'll have a look at what is available.

Also interesting to see comparisons suggesting Linn and Weiss components sound similar. Years ago I didn't get on with the Linn sound as it was a little too laid back for me and I just didn't find it engaging so I went down the Naim route - these day's I find I can't listen to Naim for more than an hour or two (serious listener fatigue!) so I may well get on with more of a Linn sound...

Have you heard a Densen 440xs Thor? Great synergy with DV and SH. Less listening fatigue than a CDS3 IMO and still very involving.

Interesting to see suggestions around DAC/digital pre's with analogue inputs as well - I'll have a look at what is available.

Also interesting to see comparisons suggesting Linn and Weiss components sound similar. Years ago I didn't get on with the Linn sound as it was a little too laid back for me and I just didn't find it engaging so I went down the Naim route - these day's I find I can't listen to Naim for more than an hour or two (serious listener fatigue!) so I may well get on with more of a Linn sound...

The Benchmark DAC1 Pre, DAC2 and SoTM DAC/Pre all fit the bill: you're welcome to borrow all three to compare if you iike. If you can live without the analog input, the choices are much wider, though . . .

If your budget is up to £1500, I'd look for a second hand Weiss Dac2 which you should get for around £1k.

I heard a Teddydac but with async FireWire the Dac2 was well ahead. I now have a Dac 202 like DV and although it is better, the difference isn't massive.

Jez

advertisement

Back