advertisement

Designacable for XLR interconnects?

Makes you wonder whether the significantly more expensive to make XLR input into my rHead is just not of sufficient quality to give the same (or better) SQ as the RCA...
Especially considering the price point of the rHead of 200 squids (down from an original RRP of double that).
Such a pain that I have to use it for my digital sources as the Primare i32 has no headphones out and digital input does not feed through to tape out :-(
FWIW flat to 20kHz is sufficient for analogue but I'd avoid star quad for digital interconnect. AIUI low capacitance is key for digital because of the high frequencies.

Also, in the pro world they'd say star quad is only for noisy environments. Only audiofools (like me) would think about them for home.

Arguably the Grimm TPM and TPR cables are the technically most advanced, using basic engineering principles rather than foo.
Basic engineering and non-foo should be inexpensive IMO.

See Benchmark explaining about star quad (versus twisted pair): https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/ap...-the-importance-of-star-quad-microphone-cable. But they actually promote the Canare which I referred to earlier, not just for mic feeds but line level. In summary, shielding does nothing to stop EMI. For EMI, balanced twisted pair helps and star quad geometry helps further. Shielding helps with RFI.

As I mentioned I've not heard anything yet so this could be all smoke, for me anyway.

Basic engineering and non-foo should be inexpensive IMO.

Basic engineering, yes.
Non-basic engineering will cost more.

Search out Bruno Putzeys document on cable design - I'm not in a position to find it ATM. The Grimm cable is one of his designs, hence the reason why I don't believe it to be foo but to be fully engineered.

Iirc the design principles are about symmetry, full screening, and microphonics.

As with all things, whether it delivers anything above an alternatively implemented cable is the unanswered question.

Chris, now I think about it more, "basic engineering principles" doesn't necessarily mean "basic engineering". Fair enough.

@ darrenyeats , many thanks for the informative link.

I think anyone who has an interest in audio should watch the included video, especially those who say that 'balanced' is only necessary in noisy studio/live environments.

Also an RCA cable has even less immunity than a 2core balanced cable..

https://vimeo.com/155057552

Cool - bit extreme to put transformers straight onto a mic cable, but get the point.
Never have any charger near my audio gear, but of course can't avoid mains and associated transformers and switching power supplies.
If only all manufacturers would have mains plugs at the same side, it would be so much easier to route signal and mains cables well away from each other...
Certainly makes the point for star quad if XLR cables are used - even if for higher voltage sources than mics.

I have a very lazy equipment arrangement.

A mini PC and 2 other streaming devices (squeezebox and Chromecast) together with a few switch mode power supplies are scattered in among the audio equipment and by the signal cables.

A router, a hub (switch), a fibre modern, another mini PC and a dect base station are nearby. And to one side and slightly in front is a bench with a TV, another PC (media centre), another hub and an AV amp. This connects back into the hifi to use as the front speakers.

Why wouldn't I want as many of the interconnections as possible to be balanced? ;)

Or in my case all of them, even the phono stage though a single ended design utilises XLR shielded interconnects. My phono to pre. is a 4.5M run, imagine how many £ 00 or 000 I would have spent on RCA cables obsessing over which may sound better.

4.5M XLR hand made for less than £ 30.

Interestingly I took my 'balanced' beliefs to the extent of buying a balanced mains transformer (it came up on the classifieds) so now I have 115 V on both live and neutral phases, with some interesting results. I have 17 mains transformers in my system, so had a slight background hum.
The balanced mains has reduced that to near zero and lowered the noise floor of the system.

I have made up some cables with Van Damme Star quad XKE and Neutrik silver plated XLR`s.
Superb sound for £1.70 per M + the plugs cost £3.00 ish each.

Going back to the original query - whilst of course acknowledging all the great stuff that's been shared on this thread - 't plot thickens:
Arcam indicate that the hot and cold pins differ on their rHead compared to my DAC:
Wyred4Sound DAC-1: "standard Pin 2 hot configuration"
rHead: 1=GND, 2=cold, 3=hot

Question is: would this be expected to make a difference given that the differential signal is used? And could that explain my earlier observations of somewhat distant and rather aneamic sound compared to RCA?

Going back to the original query - whilst of course acknowledging all the great stuff that's been shared on this thread - 't plot thickens:
Arcam indicate that the hot and cold pins differ on their rHead compared to my DAC:
Wyred4Sound DAC-1: "standard Pin 2 hot configuration"
rHead: 1=GND, 2=cold, 3=hot

Question is: would this be expected to make a difference given that the differential signal is used? And could that explain my earlier observations of somewhat distant and rather aneamic sound compared to RCA?

Only difference is a reverse absolute phase, but sound quality shouldn't be affected as long as both channels are the same.

I have a very lazy equipment arrangement.

A mini PC and 2 other streaming devices (squeezebox and Chromecast) together with a few switch mode power supplies are scattered in among the audio equipment and by the signal cables.

A router, a hub (switch), a fibre modern, another mini PC and a dect base station are nearby. And to one side and slightly in front is a bench with a TV, another PC (media centre), another hub and an AV amp. This connects back into the hifi to use as the front speakers.

Why wouldn't I want as many of the interconnections as possible to be balanced? ;)
very fair point. FWIW I think that you may need balanced analogue connections to achieve real hi rez. See eg the difference between rca outputs and xlr of 5-10dB
http://archimago.blogspot.co.uk/2017/06/measurements-oppo-sonica-dac-ess-sabre.html

I also seem to remember that when xlr was used by Archimago in earlier tests apparent differences upstream have disappeared (IIRC using really crap digital cable which acted as an rfi transmitter)

Basically why wouldn't you?

Adam, with common gain structures, with XLR you effectively lose approx 6dB to the ether. This is because the line level signal tends to double (e.g. if RCA is 2VRMS the XLR is 4VRMS). You can use attenuators to compensate but then that impacts impedance relationship.

Neither the 6dB less dynamic range nor the impedance change is very significant, I know. And impedance is not a factor at all if you have a good active preamp. But you asked "why wouldn't you?" and that is a TECHNICAL answer, for DAC-pre use case. Justified or not, it's a fact that SOTA last 6dB of SNR *with* naturally low output level *with* that "proper preamp-like" low output impedance *via XLR* - getting all that simultanously, off the shelf, is still actually very expensive in DAC-land (I can only think of Weiss and dCS that do it all).

PRACTICALLY any potential downside is not important - plus sometimes more digital attenuation sounds better (I'm not sure why). I'd still always choose balanced connections myself, because of noise rejection.

Last edited:
Adam, with common gain structures, with XLR you effectively lose approx 6dB to the ether. This is because the line level signal tends to double (e.g. if RCA is 2VRMS the XLR is 4VRMS). You can use attenuators to compensate but then that impacts impedance relationship.

That is of course assuming the input sensitivity is the same on the RCA and XLR inputs. Often amp manufacturers compensate for the level difference, so that there is no difference in SNR.

Justified or not, it's a fact that SOTA last 6dB of SNR *with* naturally low output level *with* that "proper preamp-like" low output impedance *via XLR* - getting all that simultanously, off the shelf, is still actually very expensive in DAC-land (I can only think of Weiss and dCS that do it all).

As I keep pointing out, you get most of the benefits (especially the common mode rejection ratio and avoidance of ground loops) even without a balanced output on the source, as long as the input stage of the amp is differential and the cable is balanced.

Hi all,
Latest news on developments relating to the original question.
It turns out that the switch to change between XLR and RCA input is the culprit, as things slowly improved upon repeated switch-flicking at the suggestion of a very helpful customer Services guy at Arcam.
Did a thorough comparison yesterday and found a basic Atlas XLR cable of a few years old (star quad with Neutriks) now works fine - in my comparison pretty much on a par with an Atlas Mavros RCA cable of similar age. Swapping for an Ascent XLR cable did not alter things much. On balance I just about preferred the XLR input (I think - very close) so bought the more basic Atlas cable when offered at a good discount.
Probably should have tried the Designacable first instead given lack of difference between cables, but the discount was good and I just want to go on and enjoy listening to my new kit!

Saying that, Darrenyates I would love to hear the outcome of your comparison!

As for XLR better than RCA: perhaps just a little for my case, using my kit and my ears.
Which I find rather surprising given the modest price point of an Arcam rHead - how did they manage to include XLR and RCA for 399 squids - and then drop the price to £200 - and still make a profit???

Which I find rather surprising given the modest price point of an Arcam rHead - how did they manage to include XLR and RCA for 399 squids - and then drop the price to £200 - and still make a profit???

The major part of the extra cost would be the connectors - I doubt the manufacturer pays more than £5 for them.

Does anyone have experience with this small company?

Frank.

Yes bought from them many times, ran my Resonessence MIRUS/ATC etc type systems with their cables a few years back. Good build and materials, good service and prices. Nothing to not like about the place.

advertisement

Back