advertisement

Designacable for XLR interconnects?

clogman

pfm Member
Does anyone have experience with this small company?
They mostly sell pro-audio leads and have XLR leads that review very well in Amazon (ahum). Including by people who seem to have decent kit they're using it on...
Considering 2 options:
- Belden 8412 with 4% silver-soldered Switchcraft connectors
- Van Damme STAR QUAD with Neutrik Gold connectors, soldered as above

Both a snip at just over 25 quid a pair.

Purpose: connection fully balanced DAC (Wyred4Sound DAC 1) to also fully balanced headphone amp (Arcam rHead).
Cans: my beloved venerable Beyer 531.

Alas RCA not an option - will explain more in my Primare thread once the story has been fully resolved...

If you think I should consider other (ideally reasonably affordable) options, tips would be very welcome!

Thanks!

Frank.

Thanks Cooky.
Did you compare to anything else?

The chaps themselves recommend the Belden version. Do you have any thoughts on that?

Mucho gracias!

I've used Designacable for XLR to RCA cables in multiple different colours, always found them to be reliable and the quality seems good.

Thanks Cooky.
Did you compare to anything else?

The chaps themselves recommend the Belden version. Do you have any thoughts on that?

Mucho gracias!

To be honest once you get into balance territory the differences are marginal but I've use mogami, belden and VD, the only step up in fidelity came from moving to star quad. That could very well be(I'd say has to be) down to a combination of better screening(Star quad) in my own environment, better termination and a better snugger fit from the gold-plated neutriks.

yes , i just bought some van damme 15 m xlr x2 from designacable . second time i have used . excellent service and quality

That sounds really encouraging - for my wallet!
By the sounds of it (pun intended) there's not much to be gained from going to the significantly more expensive "proper audio" brand cables.
Has anyone tried that and indeed found this to be the case?

I'm in the frustrating situation of having overspent on an upgrade and now would try to keep cable cost down - but knowing that I can't replace a dud purchase for a looong time...

Very good company, good value for money.

I make my own, using VD Starquad and Neutric connectors, though the prices DC charge you may as well pay them to make.

I've got some Mogami Neglex 2534 for sale. Just bumped them (along with a load of other cables). They are all you will ever need. Used them from DAC to pre and pre to power.

Brilliant stuff all!
These guys came across very well & always nice to buy buy local if possible.
Lived close to them for years without realising they even existed.
And low cost is crucial as in %age terms my budgeting has been rather too similar to your typical ministry of defence procurement...

Bought plenty of Van Damme from Designacable, replaced some Nordost foo for speaker cable and for XLRs I got the star quad to replace some expensive foo from another company. I've also used them for headphone extension cables. You don't need expensive cables; Van Damme are fine and Designacable are my "go to" seller for cables.

Actually just tried a demo Atlas XLR cable, which I can get at a good deal - originally £220 I believe. It's got the ivory cable, but the Neutrik connectors look a bit more utilitarian than the current model. More nickel than shiny silver/gold.
Not that that bithers me, but the sound does as it is pretty aneamic. Setup: Wyred4Sound DAC1 into Arcam rHead and on to Beyer 531 cans. Using same bits of kit, but now through Crosslink RCA sounds far superior. Alas I will need to use both XLR and RCA on the rHead. Should I just try the Designacable option, or am I likely to have a poor quality component elsewhere - in the DAC or rHead?
Anyone have any ideas?

Actually just tried a demo Atlas XLR cable, which I can get at a good deal - originally £220 I believe. It's got the ivory cable, but the Neutrik connectors look a bit more utilitarian than the current model. More nickel than shiny silver/gold.
Not that that bithers me, but the sound does as it is pretty aneamic. Setup: Wyred4Sound DAC1 into Arcam rHead and on to Beyer 531 cans. Using same bits of kit, but now through Crosslink RCA sounds far superior. Alas I will need to use both XLR and RCA on the rHead. Should I just try the Designacable option, or am I likely to have a poor quality component elsewhere - in the DAC or rHead?
Anyone have any ideas?

If a balanced connection, even with a totally basic XLR cable, sounds worse than the RCA connection, I would suggest there is something wrong with the XLR input or output (or possibly the way the cable is connected).

I have a pair of these connecting my Isis to Osiris. I wanted to try the balanced connection and tried these as a first, low cost option. Much preferred over rca. Also use it with my Stax amp and if anything even better. Can't fault designacable, excellent product, great price and service.

Let's not start that old argument. For me it was and I tend to approach all things Hi Fi with a fair degree of caution. The point of the thread is about the quality of the cable which, for the money, is extremely good.

Hi Julf,

Was wondering about that too!
rHead is brand new, DAC possibly still under warranty if same as in US (5 years)...
In any case that Atlas cable will have to go back. Might try to borrow an alternative - or could just try the Designacable I suppose.

Thinking about it, the DAC output is quoted at 2x voltage balanced compared to unbalanced. Yet don't think I get much difference in volume on my cans. And can't find anything in the rHead manual indicating lower sensitivity on XLR input.
Or am I missing a point?

Arkless / DCA:

Regardless, I would hope to get similar through both at least, given comparable price point of cable.
My Crosslink is pretty old by now, but was and in latest incarnation still is the most affordable Cardas interlink.
The Atlas XLR RRP and AFAIK are pretty similar.
So either the Atlas cable is not a very good cable - and I can't find any reviews at all on it so can only go by company and shop reputation - or there is something wrong with my kit, DAC or h.amp.

advertisement

Back