advertisement

Decent record cleaning brush?

I have used an SRM record brush since 2014 when my wife bought me an Okki Nokki RCM for my 65th birthday the Okki Nokki was shedding bristles, I therefore bought the SRM brush it had never ever shed a bristle & seems to get deep into the groves.

I have no connection whatsoever with SRM. Other than as a satisfied customer.

I have used an SRM record brush since 2014 when my wife bought me an Okki Nokki RCM for my 65th birthday the Okki Nokki was shedding bristles, I therefore bought the SRM brush it had never ever shed a bristle & seems to get deep into the groves.
They say that's a nail brush. Hard or soft bristles? Natural or plastic?

Years ago I was often in contact with Terry O'Sullivan of Loricraft and he swore by goat hair brushes.

Goat Hair!?! Jings! Bring back Watts Parastats, etc! Any patent must have lapsed by now and Watts vanished long ago.

I still use a Parastat and a Preener from ye olde days. Just occasionally add a tiny amount of water to make them humid.

Goat Hair!?! Jings! Bring back Watts Parastats, etc! Any patent must have lapsed by now and Watts vanished long ago.

I still use a Parastat and a Preener from ye olde days. Just occasionally add a tiny amount of water to make them humid.

The goat brush is used for proper wet-cleaning prior to vacuuming. It is ideal for this purpose IMO. A very good product.

FWIW I think the slightly damp Parastat approach, like slightly damp Dust Bugs, or any other slightly damp ‘70s techniques are dreadful. They basically just spread dirt around and then glue it into the bottom of the groove. Thankfully with a proper wet-vac RCM I can undo that and the results are transformative. So much crackle and pop just vanishes! Part of the advantage of owning a proper record cleaner is being able to undo past cleaning attempts. I can even fix disasters such as the dreaded LencoClean (a wet-play system)!

I use a Loricraft goat hair brush with "the right one" fluid, it's made by a guy who used to work for Loricraft and I found it to be a nice easy faff free ready mixed fluid.

I had the ProJect brushes - did not last long.

Have been using badger hair shaving brushes with great success.

FWIW I think the slightly damp Parastat approach, like slightly damp Dust Bugs, or any other slightly damp ‘70s techniques are dreadful. They basically just spread dirt around and then glue it into the bottom of the groove.

That's certainly NOT true of the Parastats/Preeners in my experience! I've used them for 40+ years and they work nicely. You do have to 'roll' them slightly 'against the movement' though to pick up any dust. Which is then visible on the cloth and can be removed. Any they have to only be very slightly damp to allow them to defeat static without making the disc actually wet.

Similar for the olde Dust Bugs. (I remove the brush.)

That's certainly NOT true of the Parastats/Preeners in my experience! I've used them for 40+ years and they work nicely. You do have to 'roll' them slightly 'against the movement' though to pick up any dust. Which is then visible on the cloth and can be removed. Any they have to only be very slightly damp to allow them to defeat static without making the disc actually wet.

Similar for the olde Dust Bugs. (I remove the brush.)

Send me one of your favourite most played/Parastat cleaned records. I’ll clean it properly, pop it in a clean inner, and send it back to you. If you were to rip it before and after you’ll hear just how much crap a good wet vacuum clean can remove! I’ll even pay return postage to prove the point!

advertisement

Back