advertisement

Decent record cleaning brush?

The brush that came with my Pro-Ject RCM is starting to fall apart. Can anyone recommend a replacement that won't fall apart please?

Also... it dries into a stiff clump and only really gets brushlike again when it's loaded with fluid after a few spins. Is this why it's falling apart and is there something I should be doing differently? Should I be cleaning it?

Should I be cleaning it? Yes
Buy 2 Brushes
1 x Wash with fluid & 1 x Rinse with Distilled water " Belt & Braces "

Everything falls apart: LINK
A silly reply! That’s not typically porcine 🧐

Not the same thing as Pauls brush with which I have no experience, but the centre is holding here with the anti-static carbon fibre brush I’ve used for more than 30 years. I think it’ll see me out.

Not the same thing as Pauls brush with which I have no experience, but the centre is holding here with the anti-static carbon fibre brush I’ve used for more than 30 years. I think it’ll see me out.
My bad. I should have said brush for use with a RCM in the thread title!

When I had a Pro-Ject VC-S (now use a HumminGuru) their supplied wood bodied brush started to show signs of mould and also moulted, so changed to using a pair of Tonar Wet Goat brushes. The Tonars were pretty cheap and very good, with the plastic bodies ensuring they didn't moult.
I later changed to using large Badger hair shaving brushes which were absolutely brilliant for the job.
As to Stiff brushes, I always pre-wet the brushes with either wash or rinse medium before use.

It’s ridiculously expensive for what it is, but I haven’t found a brush better suited to wet record cleaning than the rubber MoFi brush…..

I have a Hunt EDA brush (which a few people think is the best of it's type), which is probably over 30 years old and still going strong. Unfortunately, they have been unobtanium for years, but this looks identical or similar and worth a punt for the money.

Edit: ooops, ignore me, I missed the RCM bit!

I use this for the first wash:

I use this for second water only wash:

Also, try and get hold of an older Discwasher D3 velvet pad - they're perfect for applying fluid over the full record.

That is my current weapon of choice for wet brushing. Mine is branded Tonar, but is clearly the same item. Highly recommended.

I have a Hunt EDA brush (which a few people think is the best of it's type), which is probably over 30 years old and still going strong. Unfortunately, they have been unobtanium for years, but this looks identical or similar and worth a punt for the money.

The Hunt EDA is superb, I love mine, but don’t ever get one wet! That will ruin it.

PS FWIW the currently available Chinese clones, whilst they look the same, they are not. They missed the whole point of the design and cut the carbon bristles flush with the pad. This stops the brush working with the ‘flick’ that sticks the dust to the pad the way the original Hunt EDA manual described. I had a long rant about this on a thread somewhere. Can’t remember where, but here’s the pic I took:

26324104924_14f2622b1d_b.jpg

Original ‘80s UK made Hunt EDA left, new Chinese one right. They are still a perfectly decent dry brush in their own right, but the thing that made the Hunt EDA so much better than all the rest is lost.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I have. Project as well as HG machine. I bought a goat hair brush off amazon to scub my vinyl when using the project. Works very well.

Edit: ooops, ignore me, I missed the RCM bit!

Still have my Hunt, well two actually, god knows how old they are. That A.S. does indeed look like its equal, IIRC the price, allowing for inflation, is pretty similar as well.

On a side note, we purchased them off Veda back in the day. The rep. was affectionately known as "the bleeder from Veda" along with the quip, "thank goodness he doesn't work for Hunt".... 😉

advertisement

Back