advertisement

DAC / Streamer better than SBT / EE Minimax DAC?

malcesine

pfm Member
Hi PFM experts,

Love my Squeezebox Touch, upgraded EE Minimax Sac but the LMS server reliability is becoming increasing irritating. Especially on Qobuz hi-res audio.

Is there a significant upgrade out there for both sound quality and reliability?
Some of the one box streamer/DAC look pretty slick from NAD, Cambridge Audio etc but less sure about sound quality tbh.

Any suggestions/experience?
Budget is £1k (used) - never buy new, far too tight!

Hi PFM experts,

Love my Squeezebox Touch, upgraded EE Minimax Sac but the LMS server reliability is becoming increasing irritating. Especially on Qobuz hi-res audio.

Is there a significant upgrade out there for both sound quality and reliability?
Some of the one box streamer/DAC look pretty slick from NAD, Cambridge Audio etc but less sure about sound quality tbh.

Not an expert but the latest comparison we did between a WiiM pro with a Rega dac R vs a Linn klimax ds0 reneew indicates that the Rega dac R with the WiiM is an incredible bargain that mirrors the Klimax DS sound If using digital filter nr.2.

If you want to keep your external dac, a WiiM pro is a good successor to the SB touch

Thanks all for replies.
On LMS, I am running v8.3.1, auto update to latest.
My buffering, track jumping etc issues may also be PC, WiFi, Qobuz plugin etc - but I just don't have the appetite after 10+ years to continually troubleshoot problems, it's time for a change!!!
I'm only looking for non LMS solution, thanks.

I've recently got around to listening to my Wiim Pro Plus. So far I've only listened to the analogue output, streaming Tidal and as a DAC for the TV. I'd say it's broadly comparable to the Bluesound Node 2i we have in the bedroom, maybe even a little clearer and livelier. The software seems fine. So far, so good- it seems to be excellent value for money. [Edit] I recommended the Wiim to my brother-in-law, and he's been running his since XMas. For simplicity he's using it as a preamp into the amplifier/ active crossover of a pair of Munro Egg 150s and enjoying it enormously, along with his Rega Planar 2/ AT440ML, which doesn't seem to suffer much going through the Wiim's ADC, apparently.

Last edited:
Thanks all for replies.
On LMS, I am running v8.3.1, auto update to latest.
My buffering, track jumping etc issues may also be PC, WiFi, Qobuz plugin etc - but I just don't have the appetite after 10+ years to continually troubleshoot problems, it's time for a change!!!
I'm only looking for non LMS solution, thanks.
For what it’s worth, buffering, stuttering etc. would be infrastructure related. No matter the streaming solution you opt for, WIRE the server and endpoints to the LAN and use WiFi only to serve as connectivity for the remote. The only exception is if you were using enterprise grade WiFi e.g. Ubiquiti, Ruckus etc., and even then you'd be better off wiring server and endpoints rather than relying on WiFi.

I’ve had an EE minimax plus dac, and I’d suggest looking at both the matrix audio streamers (element I should be in budget) or something like an auralic altair, which should also be in budget.

The former for a more detailed and clean sound close to your EE dac and the latter for a smoother more laid back approach

I replaced by Squeezebox Touch with a Melco server (controlled via a Linn Music App on an iPad). The Melco has the advantage of local hard drive(s) for storing music (as well as the usual streaming options) and a usb output for direct connection to a DAC of your choice. It wasn't cheaper even though I bought it second hand but I don't miss the SB now...

I "upgraded" from a SBT to RPi and Digione, and from that to iFi ZenStream.

TBH, I found very little sonic difference between any of them; all digital out into Kii Threes using the integrated Kii DACS.
So, you might want to have a little listen before spending 1k?

Hi PFM experts,

I'd expect the Minimax to have a lot of 'own sound', if you like its presentation it won't be easy to propose a replacement; you'll have to go out and listen to a bunch.
Maybe iFi w/ valves? 🤷‍♂️

I'd expect the Minimax to have a lot of 'own sound', if you like its presentation it won't be easy to propose a replacement; you'll have to go out and listen to a bunch.
Maybe iFi w/ valves? 🤷‍♂️
I’ve owned the minimax, it sounds much like most ESS based Dacs, even the Dac plus with the valve didn’t really do much to change this. It’s a perfectly competent bit of kit but not one I’d suggest had a lot of “character”

If the issue is with buffering, track jumping etc, and particularly bad with hi-res, it sounds like it might be more of a networking issue than the need to buy a new streamer box?

Edited to add ...this maybe worth a read:

On the EE Minimax, I don't use the valve output and have upgraded the op amps - I think the sound is pretty clean/neutral.
It does feed an all valve pre/pro into QuadESL63 so don't need to soften anything at source.

On streaming bandwidth, I get UHD 4K Movie streams in same room flawlessly, so hi res audio should be a breeze.
I think is more around PC/LMS/SBT/Plugin etc.

advertisement

Back