advertisement

Dac nearly caught fire… soncoz

It was an eBay sale Keith second hand from a dealer, regardless I’ll contact soncoz and if they won’t help I’ll pay to get it repaired.

Cheers Tim

Tim first step must be to contact the seller, and the seller should, reimburse/replace/repair and return the unit to the manufacturer for inspection.
Keith

It was too long ago, I’ve used it rarely but probably around a year ago now (bit of a guess).

If a person crosses the road over legitimate questions about an issue that they would have 'expert' insight into, that says more about them than anyone else. So this is, very,

I was saying I would cross the road to avoid (what I perceive) to be someone bursting to pick a fight with a neighbour who sells cars because someone he doesn’t know personally has had an issue with one of the brands he sells.

.sjb

So there's no info regarding this voltage discrepancy others have mentioned? (out of my knowledge base but others have mentioned it a few times so thought it worth input from the expert)

Given that Keith has offered to send the faulty unit to the manufacturer to have the problem looked at, even though he didn't sell it in the first place, I don't think it's fair to bait him or blame him. Seems like excellent service to me. I've never bought anything from Keith, but good on him.

I was saying I would cross the road to avoid (what I perceive) to be someone bursting to pick a fight with a neighbour who sells cars because someone he doesn’t know personally has had an issue with one of the brands he sells.

.sjb

Of course, in the street, not really something to approach as one could be taking nice mindful walk, however on a forum, which is based on community knowledge and sharing of experience, I would expect an active trader who participates regularly, even if with circular rhetoric, and creates financial revenue from to offer some (self classed) expert insight into the products in question. Of course, they have the choice to engage, or not, the same way I, and others, have the option to ask the question or not.

While I accept this is outside his usual rhetoric of 'all dacs sound the same' and 'you are delusional' etc , there have been some interesting questions posed about CE certification, voltage etc which as someone who imports the units will have done due diligence on, I am sure it would not be too tasking to put minds at rest with some info. Again though, their choice. If there is some UK spec unit that was different the OP's , then it would be fairly easy to identify presumably? Or maybe I am delusional to expect that level of safeguarding from a dealer, maybe there is more delusion in that rather than the difference in USB cables.

So there's no info regarding this voltage discrepancy others have mentioned? (out of my knowledge base but others have mentioned it a few times so thought it worth input from the expert)
This shows that you really have no idea. The whole EU Voltage unification is just like most things in the EU a fudge. This means that the buyer really has no idea from a nominal 230V EU rating on a device whether it was destined for a 220V, a 230V or a 240V country grid. Most sellers have no idea either as I have experienced over the years with various devices (including a range cooker installed by the builder of our house) failing after a very short life. They see a cheap supply of kit not realising for which EU country it was originally built.

Quality HiFi kit should be able to handle all ranges of voltage. As a kid I remember the first thing we did with new kit was to set the mains input jumper to the correct mains voltage - essential for valves as if I remember correctly the heater voltage was 6.3V with a 5% tolerance. TVs were different as the 'P' series valves had heaters designed for serial connection. It was a pain trying to find which valve had a broken heater when a TV failed to work.

DV

This shows that you really have no idea. The whole EU Voltage unification is just like most things in the EU a fudge. This means that the buyer really has no idea from a nominal 230V EU rating on a device whether it was destined for a 220V, a 230V or a 240V country grid. Most sellers have no idea either as I have experienced over the years with various devices (including a range cooker installed by the builder of our house) failing after a very short life. They see a cheap supply of kit not realising for which EU country it was originally built.

Quality HiFi kit should be able to handle all ranges of voltage. As a kid I remember the first thing we did with new kit was to set the mains input jumper to the correct mains voltage - essential for valves as if I remember correctly the heater voltage was 6.3V with a 5% tolerance. TVs were different as the 'P' series valves had heaters designed for serial connection. It was a pain trying to find which valve had a broken heater when a TV failed to work.

DV

I never confessed to, in fact, I actually stated 'outside of my knowledge base' - theres a clue there!

How one defines 'quality' could be interesting though.

But it seems like you are referring to the posters who made the various claims/statements not me, probably best to quote them, not me, you may get further dialogue if you do. Reading from the start might help.

If you send the unit to me I will return it to the manufacturer, it needs investigation.
Keith
You absolutely cannot say fairer than that. After all the unit in question could be from anywhere or suffered anything (I'm talking about before Tim owned it)
My own Soncoz has been faultless and sounds utterly fantastic. In fairness, Keith is also very pleasant to deal with. There's just something about internet forums that brings out the worst in him.... mind you, he's hardly alone in that.

Of course, in the street, not really something to approach as one could be taking nice mindful walk, however on a forum, which is based on community knowledge and sharing of experience, I would expect an active trader who participates regularly, even if with circular rhetoric, and creates financial revenue from to offer some (self classed) expert insight into the products in question. Of course, they have the choice to engage, or not, the same way I, and others, have the option to ask the question or not.

If I'd bought a Ford motor car from a Ford dealer, and it developed a fault, I'd take it up with the dealer I'd bought it from. If I'd bought a secondhand Ford from someone who'd advertised it on eBay, I'd take it up with the seller and/or eBay. What I wouldn't do in either situation is approach another Ford dealer, who hadn't sold me a car, and demand that they explain why my car had developed a fault.

While I accept this is outside his usual rhetoric of 'all dacs sound the same' and 'you are delusional' etc , there have been some interesting questions posed about CE certification, voltage etc which as someone who imports the units will have done due diligence on, I am sure it would not be too tasking to put minds at rest with some info. Again though, their choice. If there is some UK spec unit that was different the OP's , then it would be fairly easy to identify presumably? Or maybe I am delusional to expect that level of safeguarding from a dealer, maybe there is more delusion in that rather than the difference in USB cables.

If I replied to this post with what I want to say I would undoubtedly be referenced towards the AUP.

I’ll just use the forum equivalent of walking across the road.

.sjb

I just tell the truth Darren, and the truth often hurts.
Keith
There are ways and means Keith, we all need to make a little space for people who think differently. There also comes a time when a man should know that he has said his piece. Like my dear Mum you have a tendency to bang on.
On a brighter note: Any idea when the Soncoz power amp will appear?

If I'd bought a Ford motor car from a Ford dealer, and it developed a fault, I'd take it up with the dealer I'd bought it from. If I'd bought a secondhand Ford from someone who'd advertised it on eBay, I'd take it up with the seller and/or eBay. What I wouldn't do in either situation is approach another Ford dealer, who hadn't sold me a car, and demand that they explain why my car had developed a fault.

I agree completely to your entire statement, but there is no harm in asking a regular forum expert who stocks the item in question to chime in with some answers to questions posed by other forum members. That's what forums are for right?

If I replied to this post with what I want to say I would undoubtedly be referenced towards the AUP.

I’ll just use the forum equivalent of walking across the road.

.sjb

You are more than welcome to PM me or pop over for a beverage at a local establishment. I prefer direct talk myself, no time for passive aggressive innuendo's really.

advertisement

Back