advertisement

DAC Bake-off III: Electric Boogaloo (Midlands) Oct 11th, 2014

Ian that will be John's task I am keen to hear the Jadis into those Quads.
Owner is keen on Dacs one in particular but nice opportunity to hear a variety in one space.

As you'll see I amended my post with some details.

I don't wish to spoil your fun at all, so ignore me by all means! However, I'd appreciate it if John does go to the trouble being as we seemed to find it was slight volume mismatches that seemed to be responsible for the possible differences that were noted (i.e. We had the odd "hmm" moment, but not when under exact - within 0.1db - matching). It's all potentially very useful input to the debate.

I assume you're doing this sighted?

Most definitely sighted can you imagine the hassle connecting all this gear etc!
John intends doing the stuff you mentioned and Dave the owner is very techie lad(electronic engineering I think) so a decent effort will be put in to level match.
Running out the door but sure will let you lads know how it went. Very curious to hear the dcs against my lampi and also how hugo/meitner compare. Hopefully a nice day. Enjoy yours as well

Maybe I shouldn't post this here? But Tony can delete if necessary. Dac test or listening session which is what it was really. 4 dacs one transport(Meridian 596) Hugo,Lamp 4.5,Meitner MA1 and Chord Hugo. Variety of listening stuff but settled on Caetano Veloso live with my luv David Byrne singing some tracks for comparison. Sound equalization was done in the end with sound meters on a phone.No pc brought so Johns idea of pink noise track and whatever else to level match was not usuable.
Chord as per lots of other forums delicate, some warmth and body and best value in terms of bang for buck. Lamp wide soundstage,warmth and detail but regarded as not as good/clear as Hugo or Meitner on that aspect. Meitner sounded poor surprisingly but change of rca to nordost heimdall which was used by all the other dacs cured that issue. My view not necessarily shared by others is Meitner has it over hugo in terms of warmth/body and detail. Lamp has soundstage and warmth of sound over Meitner and Hugo but not as clear in the detail. Some people preferred different dacs depending on the tracks(used some beethoven 5th and Cassandra Wilson stuff for variety) Great enjoyable day.The jadis is really very big in the flesh and the Quads while very big due to the scale of the room worked really well. Would have liked to have tried a CA set up but didn't happen just to let Dave (host) hear and make a judgement on what it was like.
Dave doing the same again tomorrow with another group but minus hugo and DCS. I think there will be a bat cd player and homemade dac there this time. We have an L7 due into the family shortly so looking forward to hearing that. (fingers crossed it sounds sxxt compared to L4.5) One suggestion I would make to you guys is try and ensure that you use the same type of interconnects for each component.Level playing field. The 'rogue' interconnects where 2m atlas somethings and they managed to make a Meitner sound poor enough.

Hi, I am the author of MQn player and would be interested in coming along to the DAC bakeoff, would be able to demonstrate how the program code can affect the sound, if people are interested.

Cheers

Hi, I am the author of MQn player and would be interested in coming along to the DAC bakeoff, would be able to demonstrate how the program code can affect the sound, if people are interested.

Would *love* a controlled, double-blind, independent verification of the effect of MQn.

as usual, off topic and irrelevant

Uh, OK, if you say so... But this thread is about organizing a level-matched blind listening session. You stated that you wanted to contribute your software to the test, and I agreed that that would be a great idea.

Just for my edification, could you please explain what was so off topic and irrelevant about it? And while you are at it, why the "as usual" ad hominem?

Uh, OK, if you say so... But this thread is about organizing a level-matched blind listening session. You stated that you wanted to contribute your software to the test, and I agreed that that would be a great idea.

Just for my edification, could you please explain what was so off topic and irrelevant about it? And while you are at it, why the "as usual" ad hominem?

can't find anything in you words that means you think it would be a great idea or
in any way connected to the topic. You've recently been warned about your posting habits and banned from 2 forums that I know of, so something isn't quite right.

as usual, we are now talking about you.

so we have off topic, irrelevant post followed by a misdirection post followed by ad hominem post, why ?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...r-trolling-include-boredom-and-amusement.html

Here are the top seven reasons for trolling and why they are so effective:
1: Digressing from the topic at hand, especially onto sensitive topics.
Not necessarily overtly argumentative, this tactic frustrates its targets with its pointlessness and circularity. Digression onto sensitive topics triggers the strongest reactions.
2: Being hypocritical, especially for a fault that the critic then displays themselves.
A simple tactic, often this is pedantic criticism of grammar, spelling or punctuation in a post which itself contains proof-reading errors to provoke exasperated responses from others.
3: Displaying antipathy, by taking up an alienating position, asking pseudo-naïve questions.
This tactic is heavily reliant on deceiving the group it is aimed at and covertly manipulates egos, sensitivities, morals and feelings of guilt, usually to trigger emotional responses. It can also create moral dilemmas.

No it isn't. It is about a level matched sighted listen (I know what you think of those and don't care...) because a null result was obtained in Bake-off 2 which was also sighted..

Just a clarification from my earlier post about the dcs purcell/Eigar. It turned out the DCS was not set up right and as a result ended up sounding as described. Heard it again today when collecting my Dac from Dave's and it sounds really good on a very brief listen. It seems it was playing either mono or half capacity as some locking set up did not happen on the day. Probably not the clearest of explanations but hopefully it clears up concerns people might have if they read a review on it. will edit my comment above also to remove reference of it.

Just a clarification from my earlier post about the dcs purcell/Eigar. It turned out the DCS was not set up right and as a result ended up sounding as described. Heard it again today when collecting my Dac from Dave's and it sounds really good on a very brief listen. It seems it was playing either mono or half capacity as some locking set up did not happen on the day. Probably not the clearest of explanations but hopefully it clears up concerns people might have if they read a review on it. will edit my comment above also to remove reference of it.

I thought something was amiss because dCS kit when set up right sounds stunning.

advertisement

Back