advertisement

DAC Bake-off III: Electric Boogaloo (Midlands) Oct 11th, 2014

Steven Toy

Accuphase newbie
 I could arrange one of these around my work pattern (it is difficult to get additional time off because we're rather busy of late).

Best for me is Monday evening after 6.30 pm, all day Tuesday, all day Wednesday and Saturday daytime until 6pm.

I could get my pre upgraded to accept 3 line level inputs with identical sockets. I'm not sure how we could accurately level match without buggering up the sources in some way.

We could ask Mark/Item very nicely as well as Larry from Audioworks for some extra bits of acrylic to accommodate multiple sources.

Look forward to reading of what is agreed as the way to hold the session and then the experiences of all who attend as with Vitals other efforts.

It may not be fun but it could be informative. Did you hear that , what?

Look forward to reading of what is agreed as the way to hold the session and then the experiences of all who attend as with Vitals other efforts.

It may not be fun but it could be informative. Did you hear that , what?

It will be fun you surly old bugger! ;)

I am open to suggestions as to how we can level match. The problem I have is a stepped attenuator with 24 steps
However, I could maybe get this upgraded to 48.

I am open to suggestions as to how we can level match. The problem I have is a stepped attenuator with 24 steps

Vitals last do thought they matched to 0.1 db which is pretty tight. If to within +- 0.5 is possibly maybe viable otherwise it is just a social event

If you wanted to compare different digital sources/cables/connection methods into a dac (or supports?) this could probably be made to work as the dac output should probably remain at the same level (you could verify even if you can't correct)

Different analog outputs are pretty much bound to be at different levels.

Mr T

I tried to borrow a B&K meter from work that would allow someone to determine how much change in level happens with your existing SA steps but all meters have all been farmed out to third party service providers (no longer got them). Getting one to your dwelling might have been a challenge anyway

If your existing steps are not toooo great Vital and Co may be happy to work with that.

Hope this isn't deemed thread crapping and stiring it by Tony and his Team

If your 24 steps are anything like those on my Vibe they'll be about 2db increments in the likely required volume range. We got lucky with adjacent steps that brought the Young and Sonos within 0.1db.

It's fundamental to get this close, otherwise we WILL likely hear differences that are simply caused by the volume discrepancy.

I'm hoping we can choose a DAC(s) with 24 or even 32 bit digital volume control in 100 steps or more (as we did in DBO1 with the Auralic Vega) which makes life somewhat easier.

Steven, you could always ask Mark to provide a small selection and try out the various possibilities? It's something that we really need to sort out before the day I think.

I guess small corrections with the DAC's digital volume control are permissible but ideally I would want to bypass this altogether.

I agree that level matching is important in order to eliminate the effect of level changes on overall sound quality.

Dac meet up today (just cant use that bake off word sounds like a bunch of guys learning to make bread) Hugo,Lampi L4,Meitner MA1, borrowed DCS Eigar & Purcell and the matchbox thingy yoke oh yeah Chord Hugo. Quad 989's and Jadis DA88S. Owner only uses CD's but superdouper CA being brought to convince this luddite he needs to move with the times!
JK bringing level matching testing equipment stuff and I will bring a lie detector.
Sure we will post our findings but only if they suit our party position.

We discovered that level testing using even a decent SPL meter in room makes matching levels tricky. If you can measure output at the pre amp that's the way to go, and it's actually quite easy using a laptop and a free SPL app. Try this:

http://www.roomeqwizard.com

If you don't your findings (either way) will be open to debate on a very basic level, which after the effort you're going to would be a shame.

Have fun.

We discovered that level testing using even a decent SPL meter in room makes matching levels tricky. If you can measure output at the pre amp that's the way to go, and it's actually quite easy using a laptop and a free SPL app.

Have fun.

Ian that will be John's task I am keen to hear the Jadis into those Quads.
Owner is keen on Dacs one in particular but nice opportunity to hear a variety in one space.

advertisement

Back