advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XXII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Matt,

Perhaps that wasn't helpful, but there's not much anyone can say to convince hardcore anti-vaxxers to get vaccinated. I have to say that now that I've seen the full clip I think what Trudeau said has been misrepresented by people with an agenda.

Joe

There's certainly a hardcore. More worringly there are many who believe a small part of the misinformation because they're simply not well informed enough to have an opinion. That is a growing issue in our society that has always placed Shakespeare above science and maths in its culture.

Gav,

It's odd isn't it? It's like when climate change deniers use the fact that the climate has always changed as evidence that we have nothing to worry about. Ah, but how do we know that the climate has always changed? Turns out that conclusion is the result of decades of hard work by legions of climate scientists ... the same scientists who say we have a problem.

Joe

162 572 cases and 158 deaths. These figures are England only. Nevertheless, England has broken its record again for confirmed new Covid infections...

I have been thinking in this direction for a few days now as the figures filter out. For example, ICU bed usage has gone down slightly across the UK whereas it went up a lot at the same time last year, again supporting the view and data that shows that Omicron is less severe.

There is no doubt that it is less severe - the modelling suggests a worse peak than last year all the same at 70% less severity though. The boosters seem to be protecting the aged, and thank goodness, because these people would be DNRs.

Currently too little information regarding Omicron amongst the over 50's who have received a booster. Levels of Omicron are still relatively low to come to any concrete opinion. The next couple of months will determine where we stand as a country regarding this variant.

Currently too little information regarding Omicron amongst the over 50's who have received a booster. Levels of Omicron are still relatively low to come to any concrete opinion. The next couple of months will determine where we stand as a country regarding this variant.

There's quite a lot known now.

"1. Severity analysis is settling around 60-70% reduced risk of hospitalisation with Omicron vs Delta Regardless of variant, a booster/3rd dose significantly reduces the risk of hospitalisation (85-90% vs unvaxxed)"

https://twitter.com/kallmemeg/status/1476932349694775303

There's quite a lot known now.

"1. Severity analysis is settling around 60-70% reduced risk of hospitalisation with Omicron vs Delta Regardless of variant, a booster/3rd dose significantly reduces the risk of hospitalisation (85-90% vs unvaxxed)"

https://twitter.com/kallmemeg/status/1476932349694775303
We will know for sure in a few months but the over 50's, where the virus has hit hardest, is still untested with this variant. Omicron is still low in society to determine the outcome.

We will know for sure in a few months but the over 50's, where the virus has hit hardest, is still untested with this variant. Omicron is still low in society to determine the outcome.

Yes we will more but we know quite a lot now to make some good estimations now. Omicron is everywhere and in the millions. That is enough to say that forcing parents to send unvaccinated childeren with no masks to primary schools next week for example is dangerous.

I’ve had three Jabs and currently have the virus to be honest at the moment I feel as if this isn’t the worst viral infection or seasonal flu/cold I’ve ever had. I am in my 50s and hage health complaints such as hypertension which currently isn’t controlled that well. But I feel this particular variant isn’t as bad as I felt January 2020 when I came back from a trip to Belgium just before Covid raised its head. I’m pretty sure I must have had it then as I felt lousy and lethargic and three times as bad as I do with this.

Currently isolating with this,wouldn't know I had it until I tested myself at home and it was positive. Had a proper test-came back positive, just like a cold, no temperature no other symptoms no bother apart from boredom. I'm triple jabbed. Vaccine clearly doing the job it was designed for.

Had my third jab last Wednesday, apart from a sore arm no other side effects, first two were Pfizer this was Moderna I have been lucky the only side effect I had from the vaccines was feeling a bit of tired after the second Pfizer, so that’s me “vaxxed to the max”.

Thoughtful thread on the politics of exiting the pandemic. Key point is that a lighter touch WRT restrictions can erode trust in government further, even when it’s justified from a public health perspective. We’re obviously seeing that here and given the UK government’s track record it’s understandable - but it’s interesting that it’s happening in Denmark too, where mutual trust between government and public has been very high.

https://twitter.com/m_b_petersen/status/1477409916214255619?s=21

“2022 is the 3rd year of COVID & perhaps the last: who.int/news-room/comm…

The end will not be easy. Moving a public out of a crisis demands as much leadership as activating the initial crisis response

A research-driven on a key challenge of 2022 & how to deal with it”

Interesting too on the importance of communication and “talking conflict down” - especially in relation to the shaming of the unvaxxed - that’s getting worse here for sure.

Thoughtful thread on the politics of exiting the pandemic. Key point is that a lighter touch WRT restrictions can erode trust in government further, even when it’s justified from a public health perspective. We’re obviously seeing that here and given the UK government’s track record it’s understandable - but it’s interesting that it’s happening in Denmark too, where mutual trust between government and public has been very high.

https://twitter.com/m_b_petersen/status/1477409916214255619?s=21

“2022 is the 3rd year of COVID & perhaps the last: who.int/news-room/comm…

The end will not be easy. Moving a public out of a crisis demands as much leadership as activating the initial crisis response

A research-driven on a key challenge of 2022 & how to deal with it”

Interesting too on the importance of communication and “talking conflict down” - especially in relation to the shaming of the unvaxxed - that’s getting worse here for sure.
I've been trying to make my peace with the anti-vaxxers in my life since Boxing Day, when I had dinner with my unvaxxed ex and my double jabbed stepdaughter. No one mentioned the war and we all had a great time.

I'll still have trouble with anti-maskers and those who refuse to scan or sign in.

Fundamentally, if/when Omicron makes a serious incursion here, we double jabbed are just as likely to get sick (if less so) & pass the damn virus on. I only hope we can buy enough time for third jabs to become widespread.

I'll still have trouble with anti-maskers and those who refuse to scan or sign in..
Vaccination does something, other people masking does nothing. So not sure you're quite there yet.

The way the covid vaccination has worked out is that is has insignificant impact on infection or transmission and significant impact on the consequences of infection. So in a social setting it's neither here nor there.

If you want to protect yourself learn how to use high quality respirators and live with the oxygen reduction and the expense. Everything else is just pandering to the ignorant and fearful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back
Top Bottom