1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Cool new Bessa w/ 50/2.0 Heliar

Discussion in 'photo' started by dan m, Mar 22, 2006.

1. matthewr

matthewr spɹɐʍʞɔɐq spɹoɔǝɹ ɹnoʎ sʎɐld

An FM3-A is your precision crafted sniper rifle, Joe. Your coolness is restored.

2. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

joe.

it's hard to believe that a flat earth namie like you continues to support nikon. after all this time, perhaps audio analogies are in order...

canon = arcam (occasional quality, general competency, overall compromises)

nikon = NAD (the half-informed think it's hi-fi; will deliver fundamentals although lacking in soul)

pentax = rega (afordable, competent and often giant-killing)

bessa/voigtlander = 47 labs (part mystery, part purism, generally good, possibly outstanding)

contax = linn (consistently passes tune dem but always seems to be missing detail)

leica = nothing this good in audio, although olive naim on properly set up mana hints at it

gold-plated point-and-shoot digital = krell, audio research

mirror tele-photo lenses = classe

pin-hole cameras and IR photography = tube/valve amps

any digital camera with zoom lens and excessive photoshopping = krell, audio research, wadia, etc.

vuk.

3. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

p.s. the red stripe on certain nikons is a tribute to bands like "aldo nova" and fuels the aesthetic vision of guys trying to emulate david niven in night-robe with ascot.

4. RJohan

RJohan pfm Member

I find it rather interesting how the onslaught of digital cameras gives a renewed interest in classic style analogue cameras. Compare to when CD was introduced...

JohanR

5. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

Vuk,

I'd rather take pictures than concern myself over what pretentious wankers may think of my camera.

Joe

6. guybat

guybat [+]

Comparing cameras to hi-fi is almost as bad as comparing hi-fi to cars.

7. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Can you hear Talvin Singh?

How about comparing cameras to cars?

8. guybat

guybat [+]

I used to own a Citroen Dyane.

9. Joe Hutch

The Citroen Dyane is the Hasselblad of cars.

10. guybat

guybat [+]

Yes, but the corners dent easier.

11. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

I didn't say that. He's beating Leica at their own game and for a lot less money.

However, bringing out a 250th anniversary limited edition model when the only thing that's 250 years old is a name is a bit cynical. The idea that there's even the remotest connection between Cosina and the old Voigtländer company is quite laughable.

Michael.

12. Joe Hutch

Especially since the camera was only invented 150 years ago!

13. dan m

dan m pfm Member

Michael - I see your point, though I feel Cosina have their heart in the right place. Limited editions are for collectors and not shooters - it's a pity they probably wont sell that lens on its own.

Dan

14. Artioneer

Artioneer tripath walker

What's this a Trabant or Wartburg ?
    [​IMG]
    and this a Moscovitch ?
    [​IMG]
    and this a Zil ?
    [​IMG]