advertisement

Conclusions!

I doubt there are any audible improvements between the DAC 2 and 3 versions, the latest version may measure fractionally better but I doubt whether the measured improvement would translate into audible improvement .

Keith

I doubt there are any audible improvements between the DAC 2 and 3 versions, the latest version may measure fractionally better but I doubt whether the measured improvement would translate into audible improvement .

Keith

You have both products in stock? Have you compared them or are you just guessing?
Do you predict any audible differences between what you stock & the $79 Behringer UMC204HD which has exemplary measurements ala AMir

I only have the DAC3 in stock, I like Benchmark because they are completely bullshit free, they publish their measurements on their site and in their instruction manuals , and those measurements are corroborated independently.
The DAC3 has a really full feature set, including variable analogue output and even an analogue input I see it as a 21st century equivalent to the traditional preamp.
I will speak to Amir regarding the Behringer if he rates I will compare one here,level matched and unsighted.
Keith

If I could find a £200 DAC that had all the features and measured as well as the DAC 3 I would certainly consider it, why not?
Do you know of one Muzzer does Colin from Chevron audio make one?
Keith
The $79 Behringer is the answer to the question you posed earlier in the thread.

As you well know, it's measurements & listening review is already posted on ASR https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ds/budget-dac-review-behringer-umc204hd.1658/

And according to you this will sound the same as every other competently designed DAC so why the kicking to touch?

Your categorising Benchmark as "bullshit free" seems way off the mark - every DAC they have launched is claimed to be the best & no improvement can be made - bullshit? - you bet

Reading the review is a good thing, because Benchmark believe the the DAC2 doesn't sound any different than the DAC3, I had the HDR version and like everything it seems the DAC3 is more than twice the price of the HDR.

I think there are some options out there that are as good as it gets, i was reading in Stereophile that a Marantz (a fairly nice Marantz though!) network player/DAC was virtually impossible to distinguish from a MSB Diamond DAC at $40K, this can't can't be a bad thing especially coming from the editor of Stereophile.

Not really very surprising is you set aside the marketing BS, why wouldn’t two competently designed DACs sound similar, the MSB is a ladder DAC, less accurate than Sigma-Delta so may well sound ‘different’.
Keith

Reading the review is a good thing, because Benchmark believe the the DAC2 doesn't sound any different than the DAC3, I had the HDR version and like everything it seems the DAC3 is more than twice the price of the HDR.

I think there are some options out there that are as good as it gets, i was reading in Stereophile that a Marantz (a fairly nice Marantz though!) network player/DAC was virtually impossible to distinguish from a MSB Diamond DAC at $40K, this can't can't be a bad thing especially coming from the editor of Stereophile.

I think you got it wrong - the quote I read was that they claimed the DAC1 didn't sound any different to DAC2 (except in exceptional circumstances) Pretty much the sam eclaims they made about the DAC1 being immune to the upstream device feeding it - all BS from a company that Keith find is BS-free :)
"Application Note titled "Benchmark DAC2 vs. DAC1—Is There an Audible Difference?" Their answer: "The noise and distortion produced by [the DAC1 and the new DAC2] is well below audibility in normal operating conditions. Nevertheless, there are some situations where the DAC2 can provide an audible improvement."

This was/is not Keith's opinion of the DAC1 - "which was poor" - I wonder what he found in the measurements which showed the DAC1 was poor?

Is this an advert for your USB ‘cleaner’ John?
Show us the measurements taken at the DACs output which show the efficacy of your device.
Keith

Is this an advert for your USB ‘cleaner’ John?
You are th eonly one mentioning my devices here, Keith. Unlike you my every post is not about trying to sell. If anyone who owns a DAC3 wants to try my ISO-HUB (USB cleaner) & report here it's effectiveness with the DAC3, I will happily oblige

Th rest of your post is boringly predictable. For someone so invested in measurements you refuse to answer how the DAC1 measures audibly different Vs the DAC2 - two DACs you said sounded different.

If you want people to believe your mantra then demonstrate this

Cool can I try one John, I have two identical Benchmark’s DACs I will place your device before one and compare unsighted.
Do you have my address?
Keith

Cool can I try one John, I have two identical Benchmark’s DACs I will place your device before one and compare unsighted.
Do you have my address?
Keith

I doubt your ability to be objective, Keith - blind tests do not control the bias from which you suffer - that all DACs sound the same & in this particular case you are out to prove my ISO-HUB does nothing - it would be a waste of time & stupid for me to send you one.

When you show how the measurements of Benchmark DAC1 (which you consider poor) differ in audible ways from DAC2, your credibility would increase

If it would help I could compare them sighted so I would know which one is supposed to make a difference.
Or you could show me your measurements made at the output of the dac which as a responsible manufacturer you are bound to have made ?
Keith

If it would help I could compare them sighted so I would know which one is supposed to make a difference.
No, nothing you do can make a difference to your particular bias except stocking it when we all know that it then becomes a perfectly flawless device
Or you could show me your measurements made at the output of the dac which as a responsible manufacturer you are bound to have made ?
Keith
You have no clue about measurements which you repeatedly demonstrate so again you're wasting everybody's time with your mantra.

Enough of your attempted dick waving with your "show me the measurements" - it really is just a further demonstration that you don't understand what you quoted in the o/p - get a room & measure your own

But John some measurements would seperate you from the chancers who just re-box proper engineers designs on their kitchen tables.
Keith

Thanks to this thread I have come to some conclusions, though probably best I keep them to myself!

I've swopped my ISO-HUB in and out again a number of times today. I won't be selling it, that's for sure.

Keith if you'd like to send me a mic I'd be pleased to make some recordings and share them here.

advertisement

Back