1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Coen Bros tribute thread.

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Basil, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Basil

Basil Harbethian

Don't worry, checked the front page of IMDB and neither of them has died...

Just caught 'Romance and Cigarettes' on iPlayer...

Apart from 'Intolerable Cruelty' have these guys made a bad film?

Which is your fave?

Impossible to pick one, but if forced at gunpoint, I'd pick 'No Country for Old Men'

2. Wolfmancatsup

Wolfmancatsup Linn Lad

Wasn't too keen on The Ladykillers; pretty much love everything else they've done (not sure on IC though).

Mick

3. Basil

Basil Harbethian

True, I'd forgotten that one...

4. arthur

arthur Banned

'burn after reading' was pap beyond measure.

'..Old men' the best I think. Or 'fargo'. Daft as the proverbial that one and some excellent belly laughs.

5. TheDecameron

TheDecameron You're home early...

Fargo, it's the best. Sir, you have no call to get snippy with me......

6. TheDecameron

TheDecameron You're home early...

Or as the guy with his wife in front of me said, "two for Read After Burning" please.

7. arthur

arthur Banned

:D :D I do enjoy the very daft.

8. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

Of the Coen brothers films I've seen Raising Arizona, The Big Lebowski (well, duh!), Fargo and O Brother, Where Art Thou are my faves, man.

Intolerable Cruelty -- meh. Burn After Reading -- meh. Ladykillers -- what were they thinking?

Joe

9. muzzer

muzzer Numb Nut

Got to be the Big L for me, liked Old Men and A Serious Man a lot.

10. Basil

Basil Harbethian

I always forget 'O Brother, Where Art Thou' is a Coen film...

Don't get old Joe...

And hey, 'Romance and Cigarettes'... Steve Buscemi doesn't die in it...

And a wonderful call out to The Big lebowski when Elaine Stritch tell's his character to 'Shut up'...

11. blossomchris

blossomchris pfm Member

All films mentioned so far worth seeing again and again .
    I always liked Barton Fink, reminded me of my first attempt at wallpaper hanging, also Blood simple is worth catching

12. Interzone

Interzone pfm Member

Don't forget the hudsucker proxy; can't think of a better scene that the rolling hoop.......

13. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Can you hear Talvin Singh?

For some reason I always think The Shawshank Redemption (five quid HMV) is one of theirs. Fargo, Lebowski and Blood Simple for me. Anyone attempting a remake of an Ealing comedy without Alec Guinness is riding for a fall though.

14. Basil

Basil Harbethian

Ditto...

But I found my DVD at the supermarket for £3...

Not my best bargain, picked up 'Annie Hall' for a quid in Morrisons!

15. Greg

Greg 2t5b

I agree, though still have a soft spot for Barton Fink and Miller's Crossing.

16. Interzone

Interzone pfm Member

Agreed, both awesome.

17. Basil

Basil Harbethian

I think it's the attention to detail that give the Coen Bros films that... little something extra.

18. arthur

arthur Banned

Haven't seen either. On my list they go.

19. Richard S

Richard S pfm Member

Raising Arizona gets me every time, especially this exchange in a convenience store;

Evelle: [about the balloons he just bought] These blow up into funny shapes and all?
    Grocer: Well no... unless round is funny.

20. zener

zener fluff

I know which ones are not so good , which one is best ...are you kidding.