advertisement

Classical Bargain Box Sets

I'm happy its in a separate thread as I generally wouldn't bother looking in the other thread, there's probably about one classical boxed set post to 20 jazz/pop/rock/whatever and they'd be too easily missed.

Not sure why they would be more likely to be missed. The last post in the 'other thread' is from the 28th August - hardly the fastest moving.

Personally prefer one thread, and am far more likely to miss the separate one.

A couple items of note that I do not own:

1.) Dana Ciocarlie's new complete Schumann piano music on 13 CDs set for £4.04. Could be a pricing error, but I saw one report of a person receiving it at £3.97. I ordered a copy and already received an updated delivery date message, so hopefully I receive it. URL: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0742WNHPC/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

2.) From Amazon France, a 39 CD, 3 DVD Harmonia Mundi baroque opera box set for €36.90. URL: https://www.amazon.fr/Opéra-Baroque...?_encoding=UTF8&__mk_fr_FR=&ref_=mp_s_a_1_250

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Amazon UK Link

A 23-disc collection of young Zubin Mehta's Decca recordings. A bit uneven, some of the recordings are ho-hum (Berlioz, Beethoven), but the best stuff is superb. The Tchaikovsky is high energy, the Schubert cycle much better than it has any right to be, the Strauss glorious in a movie soundtrack kind of way, and the Mahler 1-5 ranges from excellent (the Fourth) to downright great (the Second).
His Bruckner 8 is also well worth hearing.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
A couple items of note that I do not own:

1.) Dana Ciocarlie's new complete Schumann piano music on 13 CDs set for £4.04. Could be a pricing error, but I saw one report of a person receiving it at £3.97. I ordered a copy and already received an updated delivery date message, so hopefully I receive it. URL: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0742WNHPC/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Arrived today and sounding very good for under a fiver for 13 discs!

Now £17.

Arrived today and sounding very good for under a fiver for 13 discs!

Mine shipped last week, so I should get it this week. Adjusting for exchange rate, it's a whopping $8.78 for me, or about $0.67/disc. Even if it's a flop, at that price one can't really kvetch.

Right, it's time this splinter group/faction thread came to an end and classical bargain box set deals were posted within the main BBS thread. It's just too inorganic. Call yourselves the People's Front of Judea? Come back home to the Judean People's Front :)

Right, it's time this splinter group/faction thread came to an end and classical bargain box set deals were posted within the main BBS thread. It's just too inorganic. Call yourselves the People's Front of Judea? Come back home to the Judean People's Front :)

This remains my opinion, Derek. But the mod team as a whole think the current situation is the right thing to do in order to give the classical room more traffic and to appeal to the members who listen to classical only. My own view is that the original integrated thread helped propagate musical discovery both ways.

I'm sure Tony and the guys will happily look at this again but there needs to be a strong preference from the majority. As things stand opinion seems divided.

Nic [moderating]

This remains my opinion, Derek. But the mod team as a whole think the current situation is the right thing to do in order to give the classical room more traffic and to appeal to the members who listen to classical only. My own view is that the original integrated thread helped propagate musical discovery both ways.

I'm sure Tony and the guys will happily look at this again but there needs to be a strong preference from the majority. As things stand opinion seems divided.

Nic [moderating]

I also have a foot in each camp and believe cross-fertilisation will bring more benefit than isolation does.

Brother.

Nic [moderating]

This and thanks.

I'd be surprised if there were many people who love classical music to the exclusion of every other genre: on the other hand, given that there's a separate 'Classical Music' section it seems logical for it to have its own 'Bargain Box' topic. It's a shortcut for some, and surely not that hard to deal with for the rest?

I am one of those who love classical to the exclusion of all others. I can listen to pop, rock, jazz etc., but I don't love them at all. None of these others engender the emotional response that classical music does for me. The others just don't get under my skin, make the hairs on the back of my neck rise, or move me to tears. There are in fact some genres: heavy metal, rap, house etc., that I find utterly repellent.

As a consumer of music from a wide range of genres, a one-click option to see what's on offer is preferable to having to click into the Music BBS thread then clicking back, then clicking into Classical and then clicking into the other BBS thread and then from there clicking back to the main board or whatever. This happened the other night when each thread was updated and both threads were at the top of their respective pages at the same time.

From my perspective, the threads are about expanding my experiential enlightenment and joy apropos music whilst simultaneously spending small to save big so I can spend some more on enlightening my experiential enlightenment and joy apropos music.

Combining threads means I can spend less time and effort having a look to see whether I might buy something. In the BBS thread(s), the genre is unimportant: quality, quantity and cost - by which I mean value - matter most of all.

About 99% of my listening is to classical music, and it is very unlikely I'd ever buy a non-classical boxed-set, so I'm quite happy with the separate classical BBS thread.

However, I do feel quite evangelical about classical music! In the past people not particularly interested in classical music might have been unlikely to buy a boxed-set, but that may have changed now the prices have become so low, and some of these sets (e.g. the big-box compilations from likes of Decca, Mercury, Philips, or the Rattle set on Warner) make a great introduction to classical music.

Having said that, as long as the rate of postings stays relatively low, it doesn't really bother me either way.

I much prefer the separate thread - I am pretty much only going to buy classical and for me the other thread was barely worth looking at. I like the idea that people may be attracted to music they otherwise wouldn`t know of but I doubt it happens very often.

My own view is that the original integrated thread helped propagate musical discovery both ways.

Nic [moderating]

I agree with this, my 'classical music' includes Stockhausen, Schoenberg, Xenakis, Glass etc, which may upset some in either of any classical/non classical forums. Today I also have also been listening to Jack Bruce and Coltrane, so must keep them separate to find something interesting?. Two threads are confusing:confused:

advertisement

Back