advertisement

Classical Bargain Box Sets

A new, budget repackaging of recent Brahms recordings by Nicholas Angelich. £17 for ten discs recorded between 2003 and 2009. It includes the following:

Piano Concertos, with Paavo Jarvi
Piano Trios, with the Capucon brothers
Piano Quartets, with the Capucons and Causse
Violin Sonatas, with Renaud Capucon
Hungarian Dances Four Hands, with Frank Braley
Three discs of solo piano music

Amazon UK link

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Generally, I buy physical media for most recordings, and the occasional high-res download. However, Musical Concepts has made some box sets available at bargain basement prices, though more so in the US than the UK. The below two sets are $0.99 in the US, so I bought them (the Taub immediately upon spotting it), even though they are MP3, which I tend to disfavor. They are pricier in the UK, but still cheap.

Beethoven, Complete String Quartets, Colorado Quartet. £8.09. Amazon UK link

Beethoven, Complete Piano Sonatas, Robert Taub. £8.99 Amazon UK link

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Under ‎£30 (or ‎£20 on the marketplace) for eight modern recordings by Herbert Schuch: Amazon UK link

I bought the discs as they came out, and have bought his two non-Oehms releases as well, including his most recent piano duo with his wife. Schuch is among my favorite living pianists, and I dearly hope to hear him in person one day.

The Julius Katchen - The Complete Decca Recordings box is still set at a nice price. The 36 discs (never mind the 35 listed, there's an extra one included) cover a wide array of repertoire. His famous Brahms solo recordings - all of them, mono and stereo - are included, but I don't know if that necessarily the highlight. Probably best suited to pianophiles, it's a nice way to get a lot of music for not a lot of money.

Amazon UK link

Amazon UK Link

A 23-disc collection of young Zubin Mehta's Decca recordings. A bit uneven, some of the recordings are ho-hum (Berlioz, Beethoven), but the best stuff is superb. The Tchaikovsky is high energy, the Schubert cycle much better than it has any right to be, the Strauss glorious in a movie soundtrack kind of way, and the Mahler 1-5 ranges from excellent (the Fourth) to downright great (the Second).

I'm probably alone but I liked the BBS thread as a single entity - gave me the opportunity to see bargains in all genres without having to look in 2 places.

I'm happy its in a separate thread as I generally wouldn't bother looking in the other thread, there's probably about one classical boxed set post to 20 jazz/pop/rock/whatever and they'd be too easily missed.

I mentioned the Steven Isserlis RCA recordings box previously, but will add the link here. I had middling to high-ish expectations, but all of the playing and most of the music is superb. (I can live without much Tavener in my life.) £21 for twelve discs.

Amazon UK link

advertisement

Back