advertisement

Class "D" amplification with Shahinian Obelisks...

I had thought one could get an all-black version? Maybe just dreaming. I am the same way, wouldn't want the bling/chrome.

Jason, is the internal DAC upgradeable at all as things progress? A great single box is a nice way to go as long as internal bits are upgradeable, something a lot of companies promise, but rarely deliver long term.

Interesting piece of gear though. Keep us posted Jason, especially if/when you have time with your Obs. Would love to hear your take on it. Tim

You could with the original D Premier. I think the 240 effectively replaces the D premier now and should be available in the black finish. Shame about the rest of the range as i'd prefer black to chrome, but the chrome is still rather nice. The internal DAC section is not upgradeable but the DSP section in front of it is via future firmware updates.

Okay, good info. on the DSP section anyway. I have seen some internal pics, but did not know how modular the thing is in regards to specific sections of the unit. Still, a great all-in-one is good to me. Will be a long time before I get to listen to one however, maybe that is a good thing. Thanks, Tim

You could with the original D Premier. I think the 240 effectively replaces the D premier now and should be available in the black finish. Shame about the rest of the range as i'd prefer black to chrome, but the chrome is still rather nice. The internal DAC section is not upgradeable but the DSP section in front of it is via future firmware updates.

From the website for ALL models "Dark Chrome Finish".

Cheers (or should I say sh1t!),

DV

I think you are supposed to listen to it.

Jason

Jason if you ever get a chance to audition one I'd be interested in your findings. If the colour comes out more like gunmetal then I might get away with it as 7Kg is very appealing.

Cheers,

DV

We had one here for a month, it is a perfectly competent amp, easy to set up, doesn't get warm, light weight used a Weiss MAN301 as streamer very elegant system.
Keith.

We had one here for a month, it is a perfectly competent amp, easy to set up, doesn't get warm, light weight used a Weiss MAN301 as streamer very elegant system.
Keith.

Keith did you play through the internal DAC and if so is it as good as the Weiss DAC202?

Will you be a supplier of this amp?

Cheers,

DV

DV hard to compare ,you can't bypass the internal dac of the DVLA it is very much a one box solution.
At the time I preferred my hybrid amps and the Medea Plus , but as I said difficult to compare like for like.
I think there are enough DVLA retailers.
KR Keith.

Many thanks Keith. My worries are for my wife when that big gig in the sky calls.

I will be 69 this year and my two closest friends died at 50 and 52 so you just don't know when your number comes up. My dad went at 56 just 8 months after retiring.

FYI the vinyl and digital are superb. Of course you know that!

Cheers,

DV

Heard the original Devialet, fed by a Klimax streamer, driving Obs and it sounded superb. But no comparisons so probably not much help.

Many thanks Keith. My worries are for my wife when that big gig in the sky calls.

I will be 69 this year and my two closest friends died at 50 and 52 so you just don't know when your number comes up. My dad went at 56 just 8 months after retiring.

FYI the vinyl and digital are superb. Of course you know that!

Cheers,

DV

DV you seemed pretty fit to me!
To be candid I wouldn't expect any improvement in sound quality to your current set up, but i can see the appeal of a one box system, as I mentioned it worked very well with the Weiss MAN network player, using an Ipad to control everything.
Keith.

Keith.

Hi Keith,
have you compared the Air input of the DVLA (using a PC/Macbook) with the MAN301? any significant difference in sound quality?
Thanks
JC

Tof Hi, I don't think there was an air app when we had the DVLA, Ricardo ( Absolute Sounds) bought a Weiss INT202 ( FireWire to AES converter) and that became the standard recommendation.
Keith.

Tof - i've found my preference to be in this order - S/PDIF (Naim NDX as network source), USB (Mac mini, bit perfect), Air (Devialet app). The Air and USB sound good but lack involvement compared to the S/PDIF input. Maybe this will change as the Devialet update firmware.

Keith - is the Man301 just a server or does it rip as well ?

James

James Hi, the MAN rip catalogues, finds album artwork, fully fledged preamp,with variable analogue output and properly dithered digital attenuation .
Plays podcasts,Internet radio etc, plays CDs directly ,plays every type of file from any wired or wireless storage.
One on/off button on the unit itself ,everything else controlled by its own software. via IPad.
Inbuilt dac and transport only versions available! room correction soon!
Kr Keith.

James Hi, it is a good bit of kit, I have rather lost track of the Naim streamers the NDS is the top of their line?
What can it do?
Kr Keith.

The Weiss MAN301 is great I have had one for six months now easy to use and having come from a fairly high end Naim CD system the sound quality is superb.

I drive my nominally 4 Ohm Totem Arros with a Primare A34.2 without a hint of an issue. You want bass control? I have that!

advertisement

Back