advertisement

Cirkus to karousel difference

You are thinking of Chris Harban of Woodsong Audio. He's moved from making LP12 plinths to making plinths for, and doing complete restorations of, Garrard and Thorens idler turntables. I suspect it was getting harder to find quality hardwood planks to make the LP12 plinths but Garrard/Thorens plinths are made with a plywood core so there's less of problem with material scarcity. And the complete rebuilds probably give more return for his time.
I appreciate the workmanship of his plinths but most of them looked garish to me.

What sort of wood is it?
Fresh, New Plinth .... It's been so long I can't remember the name of the wood.

Aged Plinth, some 10 - 15 years....

I'm the same. While I could clearly hear what the blue belt improved I found that over time I preferred the stock item. It was the same with the Collaro mat. Very impressive but the Linn mat gets me exited about the music more.
Would you recommend the Collaro mat for a rega p6?
(I can also eventually see the problem that the Collaro is much thinner than the p6 mat so could eventually lead to vta problem )

Would you recommend the Collaro mat for a rega p6?
(I can also eventually See the Problem that the Collaro is mich thinner than the p6/p6 mat so could eventually lead to vta problem )
I wouldn't worry about the VTA. The mat on the P10 is thinner than a standard Rega mat and the thickness of records varies too.

The Collaro mat is not magic, it just sounds a certain way. It does some cool things, yes it's plainly audible, and a lot of people like it. I felt I was gaining and losing with it and end up deciding I preferred the standard Linn mat. A Rega is different and I suspect it might suit a Rega very well. The only way to find out is to try one. Does it actually make a difference? Yes. Is it expensive for what it is? Also yes.

I wouldn't worry about the VTA. The mat on the P10 is thinner than a standard Rega mat and the thickness of records varies too.

The Collaro mat is not magic, it just sounds a certain way. It does some cool things, yes it's plainly audible, and a lot of people like it. I felt I was gaining and losing with it and end up deciding I preferred the standard Linn mat. A Rega is different and I suspect it might suit a Rega very well. The only way to find out is to try one. Does it actually make a difference? Yes. Is it expensive for what it is? Also yes.

There is also the 'Spec' mat - which I am currently using.

I recommend it - although for an LP12 outer platter ... you need to give it to a craftsman with a lathe who can shave its diameter by 5mm, so it will no longer rest on the outer lip of the Linn platter.

Ok I’ll try to test one at some point!

In wich way do you think it will fit a rega p6 well ?

How does it compare to the standard rega felt mat ?

What sound characteristics would you give to the the collaro ?

Thanks 🙏

Ok I’ll try to test one at some point!

In wich way do you think it will fit a rega p6 well ?
It has a warmer, fuller sound than the standard Linn or Rega mat with more body and tone. Rega turntables are on the lean side so I think this might be a good thing.

I thought it sounded impressive on the LP12 for the above reasons but I found that I wasn't getting into the groove as well.

advertisement

Back