advertisement

Cirkus to karousel difference

Wonderful intel! Appreciated.

Another two springless LP12s, joining the growing number of delighted springless owners! I'm in touch with loads of other LP12 owners across the globe - using PM to talk through the process - and have not known a single one to revert to the springs!

QUESTION: The one-piece STACK AUDIO sub-chassis pictured in your previous post: How is it used? Did you affix a STACK AUDIO (other?) armboard on top of it?

If the quality is anything like that of our own STACK AUDIO ALTO sub-chassis and bolt-on arm-board, it should be a very rigid and cost-effective sub-chassis solution - for not a lot of money.
(Compared to LINN Keel, etc.)

Can you share a bit more about your experience with it?

Also, do you run the LINN Karousel bearing in both tables?
Yes, you bolt a Stack Audio arm board to it. I have Karousel on the one with Stack parts the other has Cirkus with Tiger Paw Tranquility. Both LP12s were built by me from parts over the last 13 or so years. So I have never had a Linn-built LP12. Power supplies are outboard Zues on the Stack table and the other has Mober DC. I feel the Zues is better in speed and timing, is just closer to being perfect. I'm very happy with both playback music the way I feel it should be played.

Power supplies are outboard Zues on the Stack table and the other has Mober DC. I feel the Zues is better in speed and timing, is just closer to being perfect.

I have the Minos and I'm looking at upgrading to the Zeus just now. I need another PSU for my other LP12 so looking to see what I can do.

I have the Minos and I'm looking at upgrading to the Zeus just now. I need another PSU for my other LP12 so looking to see what I can do.

I understand that the ZEUS and the MINOS are identical - excepting for some pretty cool extra features on the ZEUS.

So, notwithstanding the added features, I'd expect the two PSUs to sound the same, once spinning.

Would you agree?

[On that basis, the MINOS is a steal...]

Last edited:
I tried the Taica ones, could not get hold of the audiosilentes. They look much the same, although obviously impossible to say for sure looking on a screen.

TAICA. That's new name to me. I'll need to do some research!

The next time I have my LP12 in bits - my new STACK AUDIO Armboard has arrived, so there's the chance 🤗 - I will take some in-depth photos of the AUDIOSILENTE Silicone Mushrooms...

Yes, you bolt a Stack Audio arm board to it. I have Karousel on the one with Stack parts the other has Cirkus with Tiger Paw Tranquility. Both LP12s were built by me from parts over the last 13 or so years. So I have never had a Linn-built LP12. Power supplies are outboard Zues on the Stack table and the other has Mober DC. I feel the Zues is better in speed and timing, is just closer to being perfect. I'm very happy with both playback music the way I feel it should be played.

Very interesting rigs. It must be fascinating to compare the two.

I've heard very good things about the TIGER PAW Tranquillity, but never heard one.

Building-up an LP12 from various parts is a VFM no-brainer IMHO, but I'm curious to know where you managed to source the LP12 "bits" like screws and bolts?

Also, did you buy brand-new new plinths? I've often wondered how those gorgeous 3rd party plinths actually fit...

I understand that the ZEUS and the MINOS are identical - excepting for some pretty cool extra features on the ZEUS.

So, notwithstanding the added features, I'd expect the two PSUs to sound the same, once spinning.

Would you agree?
Yes. However the kit to convert the Minos to Zeus is only a couple of hundred pounds and it's alleged to make a difference. From what I can see, the only change is that the Zeus is monitoring the speed of the platter but it only samples once every revolution so I can't see how it's going to make any difference to speed stability. Maybe there is more to it than I understand.

You also get a digital display which replaces the switch on the deck but I'm not interested in that. I only care about how it sounds. I'm really happy with the Minos. The longer I use it the more I realize how good it is. If the Zeus is even slightly better I'll be happy enough.

It's kinda cool that you can buy this supply in stages. The Minos is an absolute bargain but it's great that you can upgrade it rather than having to replace the whole thing as you do with Linn supplies. I want to keep the supply inside the deck but you can also go another step and have it in a separate box.

Building-up an LP12 from various parts is a VFM no-brainer IMHO, but I'm curious to know where you managed to source the LP12 "bits" like screws and bolts?

Also, did you buy brand-new new plinths? I've often wondered how those gorgeous 3rd party plinths actually fit...
Excuse me for answering. Yes, it can be very good value but it depends. You do need to be careful and do your sums properly. LP12 parts are going up in price and some bits are very hard to source cheaply.

You can buy screws on eBay. The only ones you really need to watch is the lock-nuts for the hanger bolts. Those guys vary in quality enormously and I've had big problems with bad ones.

Aftermarket plinths vary in quality too. Actually, even genuine Linn plinths do but you'll never get a Linn plinth that's as bad as some of the aftermarket ones. A tidy used Linn plinth doesn't cost that much more than a new aftermarket one and is a safer bet. Just make sure that whatever you buy is flat. Lay it on a glass table or something. A very slight twist is acceptable but more than a couple of mm is a headache.

Excuse me for answering. Yes, it can be very good value but it depends. You do need to be careful and do your sums properly. LP12 parts are going up in price and some bits are very hard to source cheaply.

You can buy screws on eBay. The only ones you really need to watch is the lock-nuts for the hanger bolts. Those guys vary in quality enormously and I've had big problems with bad ones.

Aftermarket plinths vary in quality too. Actually, even genuine Linn plinths do but you'll never get a Linn plinth that's as bad as some of the aftermarket ones. A tidy used Linn plinth doesn't cost that much more than a new aftermarket one and is a safer bet. Just make sure that whatever you buy is flat. Lay it on a glass table or something. A very slight twist is acceptable but more than a couple of mm is a headache.
Generally agree here with the PiggyWiggy. A plug though for Solid Sounds https://www.solid-sounds.co.uk/. I was very lucky and contacted them and they had an ordered and reneged upon Wenge plinth - it's gorgeous and as true as a true thing and was a great price. I think he has an ebay shop.

Generally agree here with the PiggyWiggy. A plug though for Solid Sounds https://www.solid-sounds.co.uk/. I was very lucky and contacted them and they had an ordered and reneged upon Wenge plinth - it's gorgeous and as true as a true thing and was a great price. I think he has an ebay shop.
Solid Sounds kit is very high quality but aftermarket plinths can vary a lot. At least with Linn plinths you know it is going to be at least ok.

Solid Sounds kit is very high quality but aftermarket plinths can vary a lot.

Agreed; some years ago there was a US guy who was making plinths out of a variety of superb woods - he was a master craftsman ... unfortunately, he seems to no longer be around. :(

At least with Linn plinths you know it is going to be at least ok.

As you can with the 'Keel' and the 'Kore'; I wonder how good-sounding - relatively - all the other subchassis kits are?

As you can with the 'Keel' and the 'Kore'; I wonder how good-sounding - relatively - all the other subchassis kits are?
I'm sure they'll vary but the fact is that CNCing alloy is actually a lot simpler than making a plinth. Yeah, ok you need a feck-off expensive machine to do it but once set up every sub-chassis will be identical. Years ago I read a review of different LP12 alloy sub-chassis. The takeway was that they all sounded quite similar, all were good but there were differences. That's exactly what I would expect.

Agreed; some years ago there was a US guy who was making plinths out of a variety of superb woods - he was a master craftsman ... unfortunately, he seems to no longer be around. :(

This has been done to death. I've used loads before I found one that worked for me at a price I liked. I could find no difference between the Linn Keel for Aro and Edmunds offering, maybe I'm cloth eared. Only difference was the massive price differential.

You are thinking of Chris Harban of Woodsong Audio. He's moved from making LP12 plinths to making plinths for, and doing complete restorations of, Garrard and Thorens idler turntables. I suspect it was getting harder to find quality hardwood planks to make the LP12 plinths but Garrard/Thorens plinths are made with a plywood core so there's less of problem with material scarcity. And the complete rebuilds probably give more return for his time.

You are thinking of Chris Harban of Woodsong Audio. He's moved from making LP12 plinths to making plinths for, and doing complete restorations of, Garrard and Thorens idler turntables. I suspect it was getting harder to find quality hardwood planks to make the LP12 plinths but Garrard/Thorens plinths are made with a plywood core so there's less of problem with material scarcity. And the complete rebuilds probably give more return for his time.

That's the guy! đź‘Ť

An absolute master craftsman - his plinths were works of art.

I think I read somewhere, that he was very seriously ill. He got some lung disease because of years of working with wood (dust) unprotected.
So he no longer does any woodworking.

He probably had enough of hardwood in stock so that wouldn't be a problem.

Shortage of wood wouldn't be the issue. There isn't a lot of wood in an LP12 plinth and it's quite thin so it's easy to find.

advertisement

Back
Top Bottom