advertisement

Cirkus to karousel difference

I have used both In-Soles and AUDIO SILENTE Silicone Mushrooms on each of my LP12s. One has a Stack Audio Alto top plate, and the new Alto+ sub-chassis with mushrooms, arm board is Atlo Linn mount with Tiger Paw Javelin. The other with In-Soles has the Sole VIII sub-chassis with Rega mount board and a Roksan Sara tonearm Tiger Paw Khan top plate. Both sound great. I feel the mushrooms are a hair better but I will not ever go back to springs.
So do you now have mushrooms on both decks?

I have used both In-Soles and AUDIO SILENTE Silicone Mushrooms on each of my LP12s. One has a Stack Audio Alto top plate, and the new Alto+ sub-chassis with mushrooms, arm board is Atlo Linn mount with Tiger Paw Javelin. The other with In-Soles has the Sole VIII sub-chassis with Rega mount board and a Roksan Sara tonearm Tiger Paw Khan top plate. Both sound great. I feel the mushrooms are a hair better but I will not ever go back to springs.

Bit off topic, don't you think?

Wonderful intel! Appreciated.

Another two springless LP12s, joining the growing number of delighted springless owners! I'm in touch with loads of other LP12 owners across the globe - using PM to talk through the process - and have not known a single one to revert to the springs!

QUESTION: The one-piece STACK AUDIO sub-chassis pictured in your previous post: How is it used? Did you affix a STACK AUDIO (other?) armboard on top of it?

If the quality is anything like that of our own STACK AUDIO ALTO sub-chassis and bolt-on arm-board, it should be a very rigid and cost-effective sub-chassis solution - for not a lot of money.
(Compared to LINN Keel, etc.)

Can you share a bit more about your experience with it?

Also, do you run the LINN Karousel bearing in both tables?

I'm in touch with loads of other LP12 owners across the globe - using PM to talk through the process - and have not known a single one to revert to the springs!
Well, now you know one, me. A bit like the blue belt, OK for a little bit, but not a patch on the original. Mind you, I did make my own springs.

Make that two - I'm going to put the springs back in mine this weekend.

Different and not better IMO, but I can see that getting rid of footfall issues might be an understandably big attraction for some.

... but I can see that getting rid of footfall issues might be an understandably big attraction for some.

Why do you assume that installing silicone 'mushrooms' in place of springs ... gets rid of 'footfall issues'?

In my case - after installing the mushrooms I experienced the dreaded footfall issue - for the very first time! :(

As I didn't want to degrade the SQ by going back to springs ... I put the "mushroom'd deck" onto an air isolation platform.

I have never tried the mushrooms but did once use tape to secure the armboard to the plinth to suppress much of the lateral movement. Sounded worse.

I have never tried the mushrooms but did once use tape to secure the armboard to the plinth to suppress much of the lateral movement. Sounded worse.

Solving a different problem entirely, I suggest. 😮

One which would be solved if there was an "LP12+" - which had two motors, 180 degrees opposed (which would take away the sideways pull of one belt).

A bit like the blue belt, OK for a little bit, but not a patch on the original. Mind you, I did make my own springs.
I'm the same. While I could clearly hear what the blue belt improved I found that over time I preferred the stock item. It was the same with the Collaro mat. Very impressive but the Linn mat gets me exited about the music more.

Solving a different problem entirely, I suggest. 😮

One which would be solved if there was an "LP12+" - which had two motors, 180 degrees opposed (which would take away the sideways pull of one belt).
I think there was a Voyd with 2 motors? Perhaps called 'Valdi' ?
I had the three motor Reference in the late 90's.

So no news regarding availability of Insoles. Worrashame. Qué pena, penita, Quel dommage.
Glad I got mine in time.
Has anyone tried the pcb standoffs by Taica (RS catalogue) that some said were the same as the AudioSilente jobs ?

Why do you assume that installing silicone 'mushrooms' in place of springs ... gets rid of 'footfall issues'?

In my case - after installing the mushrooms I experienced the dreaded footfall issue - for the very first time! :(

As I didn't want to degrade the SQ by going back to springs ... I put the "mushroom'd deck" onto an air isolation platform.

I assumed it helped because that was what others have reported.

Personally, I never had any problems of that sort in the first place, as my rack is on a stone floor, it was never an issue. That was all I was saying.

I'm in touch with loads of other LP12 owners across the globe - using PM to talk through the process - and have not known a single one to revert to the springs!

Make that two - I'm going to put the springs back in mine this weekend.

Different and not better IMO, but I can see that getting rid of footfall issues might be an understandably big attraction for some.

So, it sounds like you guys removed the springs from your LP12 and took a listen.

Can I ask what you replaced them with?

...A bit like the blue belt, OK for a little bit, but not a patch on the original.

The jointless silicone BLUE BELT performs far better on a motor that does NOT need to be tilted to achieve optimal speed.

The silicone belt is a bit stickier than the original belt, which means it can be operated a lot looser than the original. This minimises (damaging) motor noise to the sub-platter, minimises (damaging) belt adhesion and also minimises (damaging) platter and motor-pulley tilt. But it also means that the stickier silicone belt does NOT like the belt "scuff" caused by a tilted motor.

So, I can appreciate why anyone with a slightly tilted AC motor on their LP12 might not be able to appreciate the best from the jointless silicone BLUE BELT.

One of the advantages of a DC motor - as we run - is the availability of a speed trim knob. This enables fine speed adjustments WITHOUT motor tilt. This means the motor - think belt pulley axle - to run perfectly parallel (plumb) to the sub-platter axle. This does great things for any belt-drive turntable, including the LP12.

So no news regarding availability of Insoles. Worrashame. Qué pena, penita, Quel dommage.
Glad I got mine in time.
Has anyone tried the pcb standoffs by Taica (RS catalogue) that some said were the same as the AudioSilente jobs ?

I tried the Taica ones, could not get hold of the audiosilentes. They look much the same, although obviously impossible to say for sure looking on a screen.

advertisement

Back