advertisement

Christmas Wine III

I like our Chardonnays. I have my favourite, have had it for 30 years. Mâcon Lugny Les Charmes. Cheap (here) and reliable.
Whose do you get? Cave de Lugny?

Yes. But that’s because my wife’s grandfather was a viticulteur there. The village is not far.

Last edited:
Reactions: PsB
Had a beautiful bottle of Kleine Zalze Family Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon (2017) on Friday. I’m rubbish at describing wine, but there was lots going on, and the tannins were helpful rather than intrusive. Went really well with the slow cooked beef cheeks we were eating. I have one bottle left. Will definitely look to get more. It’s pricier than I remember, though.
They have a lovely golf course at De Zalze. Gorgeous wine estate with wine tasting afterwards:)

20240423214722-a496faea-me.jpg

What it is: 2019 Clos de Mosny, Montlouis, by the late Jacky Blot.

More details please: Glorious, off-dry Chenin Blanc. Best Chenin ever for me aside from Gaston Huet’s sweet numbers.

Purchase details: Bought spring 2022 for £18.75 during a Waitrose promo. Good luck with ever seeing that again, though.

Tonight being paired with: The Bridge, by Sonny Rollins. £3.99 at Bezos World. Daft not to buy it at that price if you don’t have a copy already.

Not to be confused with: Clos Michot (similar, another of Jacky’s), Clos de Gat (from a different continent), Clos des Papes (closer, but still very different), Clodagh Rodgers (on whom I had a crush, aged 13 or so.)

i.php

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
The moment that you realise that you've opened a bottle of Guigal Cote-Rotie and not a midweek bottle of Guigal Cotes du Rhone!
An upgrade that needs to be paired with The Fall and their version of Lost in Music. No Clodagh Rogers but there is a mention of Lulu just after the first tune. I recently met a youngster called Clodaghmiere, she was amazed that I was able to pronounce her name. Generational thing.

After much discussion and back and forth at this place called wine time when I asked for sparkling wine he eventually produced s bottle of Pommery.
Not bad 7 euros a glass.

The moment that you realise that you've opened a bottle of Guigal Cote-Rotie and not a midweek bottle of Guigal Cotes du Rhone!
An upgrade that needs to be paired with The Fall and their version of Lost in Music. No Clodagh Rogers but there is a mention of Lulu just after the first tune. I recently met a youngster called Clodaghmiere, she was amazed that I was able to pronounce her name. Generational thing.

Which year was it and how was it. Someone said to me that they don't really need so much bottle age so I'm curious.

Would normally open a chardonnay with the roast chicken tonight but Mrs W doesn't want wine today. Luckily there are a couple of glasses of Leeuwin Art Shiraz 2017 loitering in the fridge that will do.
edit another red that, IMO, improved on the second day.

Last edited:
Brun L'Ancien 2019 drinking really nicely now. Brun's Beaujolais may have been designed for early consumption, but a bit of bottle age (like 5 years) does them good in my experience.

i.php

After a number of over-hyped, underwhelming, never-mind-the-taste-it’s-got-90-whatever-points-from-some-bloke disappointments recently it was a joy to taste something really, really good. Class will out, etc.

Brun L'Ancien 2019 drinking really nicely now. Brun's Beaujolais may have been designed for early consumption, but a bit of bottle age (like 5 years) does them good in my experience.

That’s good news. I’ve only got one 2018 left, then I’ll be onto my half-doz 2019s. IMHO Brun’s stuff isn’t really designed for early consumption, bar the alcopoppy (in a good way) Ronsay - none of his Cru stuff that I have (2018 onwards) seems to be ready yet. l’Ancien is still my favourite by miles (so far.)

Not looking for anything special today so rummaged around and found a nice one I hadn't even bothered to put on Cellartracker: Guigal CdR 2019. "Nice" is faint praise for one of the best value reds on the planet. Perfect for left-over lamb, aubergine...

As I was dragged around Costco the other day, I escaped to the wine section to buy a box or two of Sauvignon blanc. I then turned my attention to their loose wine display, a lot of which I know nothing about. Does anyone have any recommendations please?

Urziger is a bargain but you'll need to be around in 20yrs to drink it.
They've got Guigal,Macon-Lugny ,Rioja etc.
If you like BBQ wines they've got Montlandrie.
Also toilet paper

Wish I'd bought a stash of l' ancien when TWS had it.I had a 2014 Moulin a Vent Boillot ,while it was good not sure I'd buy again at 24 ducats.
Think I prefer l'Ancien or Ronsay or Rhone!

No, I’ve never seen the Moulin-à-Vent before. Of his Crus I have Côte de Brouilly, Morgon and Fleurie from 2018-2020. But a run of l’Ancien from 18-21! I think a chilled Ronsay might be a good choice tonight on what should be a warm evening.
I have a bunch of Ronsays and two L'Ancien 2019 and two L'Ancien 2021. I might buy some 2022 and stash.

The one I didn't care for was the white chardonnay - I know you liked it but I thought it was too meh to buy again.

If I go with De Burgh I'll buy a bottle of Moulin-à-Vent. I don't know what to think of the the Saint Amour after reading this on CT - it could be very good! Burgundy wine is really an acquired taste! Presumably @chartz has it built in his DNA.

I've never been to Beaujeu - I should make an effort I guess, it comes up in the last Houellebecq novel a lot.

8/17/2022 - BEN CHRISTIANSEN WROTE:

Smells like concrete and black pepper. Lighter on the palate and a darker structure to it as well. With some grip. Not the friendliest thing.

advertisement

Back