advertisement

China Crisis

philsparks

pfm Member
Went to see Gary and Ed in the half moon in Putney last night with the missus and my 16 year old.

Why on earth were/are this band not huge - they played two sets of over an hour and there wasn't a single weak song. Gary could have done stand-up such was his rapport with the 100 or so punters.

It's the mark of a great gig if you spend the bus journey home trawling Spotify for all their forgotten gems.

Any other fans?

Phil

Yeah count me as a fan, I've got a mix of vinyl and CD of most of their albums as well as one or two 12"/special edition 7" singles.

'Working With Fire & Steel' is a cracker on 12" btw!

Yep, great albums "Difficult Shapes", "Working With Fire & Steel" and "Flaunt The Imperfection" I also picked up some mini CDs at gigs. Great music and reminds me of some very happy times.

Good to see them still at it. I’ve got a few of their albums and saw them very early on at Bradys in Matthew St when it was just the two of them and a tape deck.

They played a couple of tracks of their newish album which were v. Strong. Buying the cd at the door felt like a school fair rather than a 'big band's though. They really should be playing the O2 rather than the half moon.

The Bible and then China Crisis - wow! I saw China Crisis at our local venue and they were great. Superb songs played very well.

First proper band I ever saw live, after The Bible who supported them.

Another great band - Boo Hewerdine is a fine songwriter and a nice bloke - I saw him live in a small coffee shop/café a few years back on one of his acoustic tours....I asked him to sign my vinyl copy of 'Walking The Ghost Back Home', he couldn't get over the condition of the record and sleeve!

Never really got into them back in the day apart from African And White which to this day I think is a classic single.

chinacrisisl_fba0308f7f7ec885ba27ede9cea6.jpg

"Flaunt the Imperfection" produced by Walter - I like it when my heroes produce favourite bands; here's Todd with XTC -
A relationship not without friction I believe, but it created the wonderful "Skylarking".

Anyone tried the new Deluxe Editions? Look to have a fair bit of additional material. The China Crisis I have is all on vinyl.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Saw / supported them at Brady's back in the day. They had lots of A & R men up from the big smoke watching them. Seem to recall that their most recent offering via Pledge Music is sought after.

Same gig, I was doing the desk as I recall! I ended up teaching Gary COBOL at a later point too!

China Crisis were one of my favourite bands of the 80s. Absolutely loved Difficult Shapes and Passive Rhythms, Working with Fire and Steel and Flaunt the Imperfection among others. Christian still brings shivers to my spine after all these years, and the Difficult Shapes and Passive Rhythms album it comes from is (IMO) one of the best albums of the time. So glad to hear that they are still performing.

Went to see them Friday night at Hertford Corn Exchange with my 14 year old son.

As you say Gary has a great stage personality. Had a nice chat with Eddie after the gig and the pair of them signed a copy of their "Autumn in the Neighbourhood" CD.

BTW I have all the original 80s CDs which sound really great. So I approached these new 2CD sets with some trepidation - but believe it or not they have been really nicely mastered. Not loud at all - are the Loudness Wars finally over ?

Last edited:
Saw them at the Manchester Appollo about 30 years ago....they were superb. Tracks: 'working with fire and steel' (actually I use this as a test track on my hifi...the drumming/bass guitar is so fast and rhythmic, not all systems can do it justice or separate the various drums), black man ray and African and white are my favs.

advertisement

Back