advertisement

Cheap SACD player?

One other wrinkle worth mentioning that isn't in every guide: if you're shopping for a PS3 for this job, they all tell you to get one with firmware pre 3.55 - so you can run sacd_ripper. But what they don't always tell you is that once upgraded past 3.55, there's no going back. So it really does matter.

One other wrinkle worth mentioning that isn't in every guide: if you're shopping for a PS3 for this job, they all tell you to get one with firmware pre 3.55 - so you can run sacd_ripper. But what they don't always tell you is that once upgraded past 3.55, there's no going back. So it really does matter.

This is true - it's either fw3.55 (or less) or bust!

I was in town this morning and happened to walk past a Cash Convertors and guess what they had on sale in their window display...yep you guessed it, a 60GB PS3 for the very affordable price of £60.

I asked if they would check the FW but they were too busy but did say if it wasn't suitable, I could return it within seven days for a no quibble refund, so I bought it.

I'm just home and damn, it's running FW 4.5. This might not be too problematic however, because as strocky said, it's possible to downgrade FW using this guide. The question is; have I got the balls to do it? Or do I take it back for a refund? I'm gonna have some lunch and think about it.

The question is; have I got the balls to do it? Or do I take it back for a refund?

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. The jailbreak post you refer to has been in place since October and the comments appear generally positive.

But first, check that it really does have a working SACD drive by checking that the unit recognises the SACD layer of a suitable disc.

I can confirm it CAN play SACDs! I popped in a single-layer SACD and it played it no probs.

ItemAudio said in Post #81 it needs to be one of the following serial numbers CECHA, CECHAB, CECHC or CECHE, but mine ends in CECH03. Is that likely to mean it isn't compatible even if I'm able to roll back the FW?

mmm, that sort of makes sense. I'll try looking for more info on the web before committing to the hack.

I tried to download the update software used in the FW downgrade guide strocky mentioned, but I keep being asked to take part in surveys/ promotions or buy an unspecified amount of credits to unlock the download. Although I've no objection to the monetisation of the programme by the author, it has to be simple, because as it is, it just looks like a list of things to get my personal data and money and I'm not buying it.

I looked at a few other guides out there and they all seem to say don't trust any other guide as they're just after money. I bought the PS3 on the premiss that if it wasn't running FW 3.555, it wouldn't be difficult to downgrade, but so far, it's been a pain in the .... and I haven't even got round to installing and using the SACD ripping programme! And I now wonder, what the hell am I supposed to do with the ripped files anyway? Burn them to a disc and play them on my OPPO?

OK, I'll hold my hand up and say I'm getting a bit frustrated here and maybe I need to leave it for a while and see if i can discover a simpler solution (other than returning the PS3 for a refund).

Update: I returned the PS3 for a refund this morning as getting it rolled back to FW3.55 was more trouble than I could bear. Backing up my SACDs will just have to wait :)

advertisement

Back