advertisement

Cheap SACD player?

Are there any players that you know, for a fact, do this? AFAIK it would be contrary to the terms of the Scarlet Book license, to which all SACD players must conform. Those terms prohibit any digital output beyond 16/48.

There are many devices (e.g. Oppo) that output converted PCM via the HDMI route. But DSD?

Sony's XD5400ES will do this. I believe that the restrictions on the digital output of DSD only apply to unprotected/unencrypted output. HDMI provides copy protection, so it's OK for it to carry DSD.

HDMI requires handshaking between sender and receiver.

In the case of dsd, many "receivers" do not have the capability to handshake with the sender, Sony designed a propriety protocol for use with the 5400es series.

The ability is built into a number of AV products from the majors who can afford to pay the licence, but smaller companies simply cannot. Look at the NAD M51 as an example which features HDMI but sadly can only receive PCM signals.

I don't get the desire for an off board dac anyway. Naim went decades suggesting they sounded inferior and SACD from a £90 BluRay player sounds better than most CD's through a £2K Dac more often than not.

Sony's XD5400ES will do this. I believe that the restrictions on the digital output of DSD only apply to unprotected/unencrypted output

Thanks for that - though I actually meant to enquire about unencrypted DSD. You are quite correct about the license not permitting unencrypted digital outputs.

Given the new level of interest in DSD, combined with the fact that hi-rez PCM files are become more common by the day, you would think that Sony might have the vision to relax some of these archaic restrictions.

Another workaround to routing SACD content to an external DAC is to get the player to output PCM via HDMI, which when connected to a HDMI Audio De-Embedder such as this Monoprice one, will output 24/88.2 audio via Optical, which you can connect to your external DAC for conversion to analogue. I do this and prefer it to my player's onboard DAC.

I was wondering if you had been able to test that the Monoprice De-Embedder will output at 192kHz (at least via the coax SPDIF)? According to the specs - it should.

I was wondering if you had been able to test that the Monoprice De-Embedder will output at 192kHz (at least via the coax SPDIF)? According to the specs - it should.

I think it does that for standard PCM content ripped at those specs, but when it comes to outputting SACD converted to PCM from my OPPO 103D, it definitely outputs it at 88.2/24, as confirmed by my DAC.

It is. I use a sony blue ray player for sacd and also the new high definition format for classical. Mine cost 90€ here and the analogue out is fine.

yes good suggestion , been testing mine against an msb transport and its good but not as good as the msb but then there is 2900 pounds difference !!

Another workaround to routing SACD content to an external DAC is to get the player to output PCM via HDMI, which when connected to a HDMI Audio De-Embedder such as this Monoprice one, will output 24/88.2 audio via Optical, which you can connect to your external DAC for conversion to analogue. I do this and prefer it to my player's onboard DAC.

The chain going from disc to DAC looks like this: Disc>PCM>HDMI>Audio De-Embedder>Optical>DAC.

There's another gadget available on Amazon which might work as a HDMI de-embedder, but I can't remember what it's called. I think I've bookmarked it on my desktop PC, so might be able to find out what it's called later if needed. I do remember however, it costs about £50.
However that defeats the purpose of listening to DSD

However that defeats the purpose of listening to DSD

True (but only if listening to SACDs with conversion from DSD direct to analogue is preferred), but this method allows conversion to analogue to be done by a DAC of your choice. I prefer the sound of my Lavry DA11 DAC to the OPPO 105 and 103D's DAC and using the Monoprice makes this possible. It also means, as I said previously, PCM SACD content can be ripped at 88.2/24. :)

Good dacs don't really have a sound - or at least they shouldn't.

It amazes me that this topic can generate so much discussion. Apart from some lucky classical fans like myself, most people have 3 or 4 SACDs at most.

If you want to listen to SACD, get an SACD player. What is this obsession with ripping?

You can get DSD downloads from some sources that can be played via DSD capable dacs - but of the ones I have seen, it cost more to buy the download files than to buy the same material on the SACD disc - absolutely crackers!

Good dacs don't really have a sound - or at least they shouldn't.

Thanks for pointing to that. What I meant is I prefer listening to SACDs when my Lavry DAC does the conversion to analogue rather than listening to the same SACDs using my player's onboard DAC.

Happy with my Sony DVP-S9000ES, does DVD, SACD etc. :)
Lovely machine too, epic build!

Now you're talking - always buy one of these if they come up at the right price. State of the art bargain.

However, no SACD player (apart from specific early PS3s) is useable for digital output.

Again, though, you have to say: why not a computer? Native DSD playback over USB: the cheapest, most versatile infinite jukebox in existence.

DACs are like preamps - in fact, in many ways DACs are preamps - they all have a sound.

Good ones? Not when level matched and compared under controlled conditions they don't ;)

Certainly I'll add the caveat IME.

And huge differences have disappeared completely when unaware of the device being used.

...However, no SACD player (apart from specific early PS3s) is useable for digital output.
Mine is. It has HDMI, S/PDIF coax and optical. It's a Sony, and as far as I know all Sony players have these outputs.

Mine is. It has HDMI, S/PDIF coax and optical. It's a Sony, and as far as I know all Sony players have these outputs.

If you played a single-layer SACD, will your player output digital? My guess is that it'll output the redbook layer of hybrid SACDs, but not the hi-res layer.

advertisement

Back