advertisement

CD treatments. Any recommendations?

Well, perhaps. But why on earth would I do that? And, if I were going to go to that sort of trouble, presumably I'd want some sort of protocol, which means I'd need some sort of way to check whether the surface of each disc was the same degree of contamination beforehand. Otherwise, the measurists would be all over me like a rash.

Too complicated. Happy to take things as they are and just get on with doing stuff I want to do.

You'd do that because you wanted meaningful, measurable results? Your other arguments are entirely specious.

You'd do that because you wanted meaningful, measurable results? Your other arguments are entirely specious.

And getting meaningful measurable results is why I'd need a protocol, surely? Otherwise the internet would just explode in fury and mirth at my unscientific attempts, obviously. So in what way specious?

And given that I'm not in the slightest bit interested in setting up a blind test just to please some bloke I've never met, on the internet, I really don't see why I should.

I'd say the best treatment was to invest in a bin, or a set of cardboard document boxes for the loft, or a charity shop to taste. Add a hard disc drive/server, a verifiable ripping programme such as dbpoweramp and you're done. Still waiting for a Bedini for the Seagate so we can see the data change and be convinced.

I generally clean mine by spinning them at high speed in a purpose built device called a CD player.

It seems to work quite well and even makes a nice sound, so long as the music on the disc is half decent.

The Green ink round the rim seemed to make a difference in certain CD transports and not others. Back in the day (2001/2) it made a difference with a very early Wadia player from about 1991, curing a degree of 'splashiness' in the treble with cymbals and hi-hats but made bugger-all difference in the Naim CDX that I had at the time.

The objectivist types naturally jumped all over it at the time, as I remember.

CD/Disc Rot does not appear on the outer disc.
Its inside.
No soap or water will remove it.
Have you ever snapped a CD in half?
Google CD Rot.
I have had several discs rot, snail tracks growing across the silver layer. These start from the edge or pinhole defects in the polycarbonate. I have found that keeping the outside surface of the disc clean, free from acidic finger prints, helps prevent it starting

I bought my first CD around 1992. J Warnes. Famous Blue Raincoat ( I needed to establish my audiophile pretensions. It's also a damned fine CD.)

Anyway.. it, and every other CD I have bought since, sounds absolutely fine and has no surface dirt, fingerprints, scratches etc. It's not difficult.

Mull

Fungus!
Where do some of you guys live?

Tried all sorts of stuff
Treatments like ReVeel, permaclean etc., green pens, black pens, CDs that put a cacophony through the system, even had a CD washing machine (!).

Never noticed any audible differences.

The only thing that works is a squirt of Mr Sheen and wipe off on the odd mistreated CDs to get them to track.

You don't live in a tropical city with 35C, humid and polluted air?

Nope, but does that really have so much effect on CDs properly kept in their cases, or in the CDP?

TBH, after enduring an average 12 Deg C and overcast since last Sept, I could do with a bit of tropical discomfort. :(

Mull

Just wondering if anyone has had any positive experiences with CD treatment before playing. Whether it be cleaning the disc, using mats such as Marigo, Statmat and the like. Fancy green pens, freezing discs, shaving the edges and practices I haven't even yet heard of.

A complete waste of time or a worthwhile preparation before listening commences?

A complete waste of time. If the disc's dirty just wipe it across with a soft cloth.

Exactly.

Anything else is just foo or pseudo.

Peter

advertisement

Back