advertisement

Cd Ripper

beduch

What is the best cd ripper, I have tried EAC and DB Poweramp but sound quality does not compare to original

Are you seriously suggesting that the ripping software makes a difference to the sound quality of your rips, when compared to the original CD?

Forgive the scepticism.

IMHO you are either imagining something, or you have a seriously good sounding CD player

Hi I bought Media monkey gold on Friday and so far it sounds very good, there is a difference in volume levels, ie the computor output is down by about 7/10db, and compensating for this (as best as I can) I find it difficult to tell the source from the original. With the CDQ it is easy to switch between original CD and computer source instantly, but it is better to listen to whole track. Have run several familiar discs, in the next day or so will try the Chesky evaluation disc.
Ripping at level 1 FLAC and listening at 96
I like it - so far, so did young son, (about 45) whose ears are better than mine!)

Asus 1503; Media monkey; Audiolab 8200 cdq; ATC100 actives

As long as you are ripping to a lossless codec and aren’t using any volume normalisation etc, there is no difference.

What is the best cd ripper, I have tried EAC and DB Poweramp but sound quality does not compare to original

Surely this is down to which cd player you are using and whatever you are using to play the rips, nothing to do with the ripping software!

As long as you are ripping to a lossless codec and aren’t using any volume normalisation etc, there is no difference.
err hum, Tons of detail from my pc with flac files but lifeless compared to a Marantz cd63 digi out in the same system.:)

Something must be happening down stream. I find streaming music as good if not better than the cd.
What are you using for playback of your files ie: pc/dac?

Something must be happening down stream. I find streaming music as good if not better than the cd.
What are you using for playback of your files ie: pc/dac?

Me or OP?
In my case Laptop usb to usb /spdif converter, modded Chinese DAC.

I love the detail as that is important to me but it does not grab me like the humble CD63 does.:)

Naim recommend dbpoweramp. As db produces a bit perfect copy I can't understand a difference in SQ, are you using lossless?

Phil

DB power amp for me as well, use perfect rip to flac and mine sound better than the orginal through the same DAC.
What I hear is much quieter back ground, better separation of instruments an better bass definition. That does sound quieter and more relaxed but I interperate that as less distortion.

Alan

DBPowerAmp here as well. Have tried a few options and this is pretty easy to use and gives consistent good results.

Sam

How about the transport?
If using media PC make sure direct output or "WASAPI" is used to avoid any interference with windows/media server mixers

If your CD player is connected via analogue, then I understand that you may hear a difference between that and whatever you are using to play ripped files. You also may hear a difference if you are ripping to a lossy codec. There are people who apparently can hear a difference between codecs like FLAC and WAV too.

The issue is not about quality differences between CD ripping software as there is none (though there are many practical differences), but about what you like to hear coming out of your loudspeakers. There is no reason for well delivered ripped files to not be of identical 'quality'. That doesn't mean you will prefer them I suppose.

I use a Naim system inc Naim cd player, I also stream with a Logitech Touch with files converted into flac at level 1. No imagination needed just a very good system expertly setup.
My thoughts are that original cds are pressed not burned which accounts for the difference. Just to go back to my enquiry, the sound quality is near to the original but lacking slightly in dynamics, bass is not as tuneful and seperation of instruments is not quiet as good through my Shahinian speakers

"Pressed, not burned"?

Sorry, I don't follow that. A file on a hard drive is neither pressed nor burned as far as I am aware. The above could apply to a cd copied from an original cd but doesn't seem applicable to making copies to hard disk

advertisement

Back