advertisement

Cd Ripper

My experience with a Naim system was the opposite and it went on sale about 5 minutes after hearing ripped files through a DAC. Must be something wrong in the setup as everyone here is struggling with an apparent reversal in the SQ

All the best, Phil

Beduch
have you tried playing a flac file diectly from a usb stick into the SB touch and out to an external Dac or through the dac in your naim cd player if that is possible.

Streaming with WIFI looses quality IMO

Alan

It's more likely to do with something happening during playback than the ripper itself. However, if you Google it, you'll find plenty of people who have reported consistent differences between ripping programs. I'm not aware of any very plausible explanation for this, but never say never!

In a live, realtime playback environment, lots can go wrong between the computer/CD transport and DAC: two files containing identical bits will probably not sound identical when played using different hardware or software: bit values are only half the story.

I use a Naim system inc Naim cd player, I also stream with a Logitech Touch with files converted into flac at level 1. No imagination needed just a very good system expertly setup.
My thoughts are that original cds are pressed not burned which accounts for the difference. Just to go back to my enquiry, the sound quality is near to the original but lacking slightly in dynamics, bass is not as tuneful and seperation of instruments is not quiet as good through my Shahinian speakers

You still haven't stated enough about your system really. I'm inferring that the Cd is connected by analogue to a Naim pre or integrated. Is that correct? What CD player is it? What is the Touch connected to and how ?

My query is regarding a cd copy from original to a another cd disc ie Verbatim, not anything on my hard drive or flac file that is streamed

Ah, quite clearly every single one of us has misunderstood your original question and, therefore, tried to answer a question that you did not ask !

What you use to rip is more important. I used an old lenovo laptop with a core2 cpu and 2GB RAM to rip a CD using dbpoweramp and then with the same settings did the same on a new Dell Intel i7 8GB desktop machine. Playing the two flac files from the same qnap nas to a sonus via a dac sounded completely different with the higher spec pc being way better. I actually wentnon to build a vortexbox myself and that sounded even better than dbpoweramp.

I'd recommend using vortexbox.

My query is regarding a cd copy from original to a another cd disc ie Verbatim, not anything on my hard drive or flac file that is streamed

What is the best cd ripper, I have tried EAC and DB Poweramp but sound quality does not compare to original

No it isn't your original question was about ripping CD's using dbpoweramp, not sure how you expect anyone to think copy when you ask "best cd ripper"

On windows clonecd is good and on mac use toast.

I used an old lenovo laptop with a core2 cpu and 2GB RAM to rip a CD using dbpoweramp and then with the same settings did the same on a new Dell Intel i7 8GB desktop machine. Playing the two flac files from the same qnap nas to a sonus via a dac sounded completely different with the higher spec pc being way better

There must have been a simple and predictable reason for the different data created by the two machines. If a dBPowerAmp rip passes 'Accurip', it can get no better, or worse.

Sorry for the confusion, what I meant was if you copy a bought cd and then copy it lets say for the car the quality is slightly inferior when played back through the home system

advertisement

Back