Votes: 8 13.1%
  • Exposure/Meridian/Quad

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • Pioneer/Denon/Yamaha/Teac/Onkyo/Sony

Votes: 19 31.1%
  • Others

Votes: 9 14.8%

• Total voters
The little known, 30 odd year old Denon DCD 860 is a new discovery to me.

Picked up on Ebay for £55.
It works perfectly along with its remote.

It sounds surprisingly good too. Less "mechanical" than the Rotel 965BX.

I have two early 90s Philips CD502s, I think they are, both bought for one line of a song. Ugly featherweight plastic things that have just gone & gone & yet sound ok as they do it. One was so heavily used when I got it that the markings had been worn off the buttons (lost remote, obvs)!

I have two early 90s Philips CD502s, I think they are, both bought for one line of a song. Ugly featherweight plastic things that have just gone & gone & yet sound ok as they do it. One was so heavily used when I got it that the markings had been worn off the buttons (lost remote, obvs)!
I'd never heard of this model so looked it up. I wasn't surprised to find it has the CDM4/19 mech. Those CDM4's are good reliable mechs.

I have a Cyrus dad 3 q 24 which I bought in 99 which is still going strong. Strange I know. Funnily enough worse reliability I've had from a cd was a Marantz cd63 ki signature which broke after 18 months.
A Sony 911E which I had for 5 years and sold on to a mate was still spinning well after 15 years.

Sony CDP338esd, golden oldie and under the radar. Still sounding and going strong. Draw open and closing is butter smooth, a joy to watch.

My Naim CDX that I bought in 1998 in Saudi had a fault from new, and mech was replaced within a few weeks. In the next 25 years it has only needed pucks replacing.
Light use this year, so I’ve just switched the whole system back on, all appears ok so far.

Rarely mentioned, Tascam CD players have an excellent reputation for reliability.
I have one of their CD recorder/players for a very long time and it has performed faultlessly.

My 2004 Mégane (175,000 miles) still has its original CD player, in use every single day. Not hi-fi but still amazing.
My 2000 BMW 523i (131000 miles) original CD player is still the beating heart of that car! Also used everyday, just a great original factory stereo system that makes it a joy to listen to. The car also is still mechanically sound and a very pleasant, smooth drive.

I use a Sony DVD/CD player which I have had for probably 18 years now (it replaced a naim 3.5).

I owned a Philips CD104B, Denon DCD610 and Arcam CD92. Only the Philips let me down.
Yes the 104 suffered a lot of failures but they can actually be repaired and made to be super reliable snd far more durable than modern players.

I'm on my second Marantz in 35ish years first was a CD64KI iirc current is an SA11 S2.

It doesn't play SACD any more but i've only got 6, if anyone knows a good repairer i'd get it fixed.

advertisement

Back