Votes: 8 13.1%
  • Exposure/Meridian/Quad

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • Pioneer/Denon/Yamaha/Teac/Onkyo/Sony

Votes: 19 31.1%
  • Others

Votes: 9 14.8%

• Total voters
The only electronic faulty CD player I owned was a Cambridge Audio CDM4, it would reproduce digital spurious noises at the end of every track it played.

My old Sony CDP 101 had the disc loading sled act sluggishly until I lubricated it, a known stock fault well documented and an easy fix with a bit of hands on knowledge, it still plays fine and sounds pretty good to me.

The other old CD player that gets faults with the keyboard select track number buttons is the old Technics SL-P 1200, they do eventually collapse after many selecting presses, I had to replace many of the buttons when I was working as a freelance service techie, for my sins. :)

I have a very interesting story about a Technics SL-P 1200 that I was given to via the local freecycle web-site, I will share that some time later.

I guess this is as good of a thread as any to ask a numpty question: what is it about CD player laser mechs that renders them unrepairable so that the only option when they die is a full replacement (assuming one is available)?

I guess this is as good of a thread as any to ask a numpty question: what is it about CD player laser mechs that renders them unrepairable so that the only option when they die is a full replacement (assuming one is available)?

They, all CD player mech lasers run out of steam eventually, "Low Emission Laser."

Skilled service techies who have the right test gear can re-align and tune up failing laser assemblies.

Difficult for me to say; I’ve had an Arcam Alpha 7 since late 90’s ? and a Sony XB930 QS (second hand, or maybe 3rd?) release date 2005 or so?
Different presentation but both working really well. Non smoking environment which must help with lens longevity.

What's the point of having multiple brands lumped together as single options?
Quite so; my most reliable player has been a Quad 67 (apart from the drawer mech) but most unreliable was a Meridian, but I don’t suppose anyone can draw any worthwhile conclusions from this.

The My old Sony CDP 101 had the disc loading sled act sluggishly until I lubricated it, a known stock fault well documented and an easy fix with a bit of hands on knowledge, it still plays fine and sounds pretty good to me.
I have three, all working perfectly after lengthy maintenance. Original lasers too.

it doesn’t, basically - depends what has failed, a weak laser can have a new laser implanted (& for instance you can transplant a cdm9/44 laser into a CDM9 pro, same laser), sometimes the spin motor fails, sometimes the actual assembly fails (I can only think of the Sony mech who’s sled rails crack causing skipping), and sometimes the grease dries up causing issues (cdm12.x). Horses for courses, but if the whole mech is still available under £20 I still tend to replace whole mech. I keep all old mechs with detail notes, I’ll fix then when full mechs no longer available :D

My Naim CD5X bought from new around 17 years ago and I’ve never had an issue with it, plays HDCD too.

Not much is irreparable. However the number that fail doesn't justify a large repair network and keeping a stock of parts and mechanisms. How many people do you know who are prepared to pay proper money to have a CD player repaired when it only cost £200 20 years ago? Most people didn't even pay that much.

My Naim CD5X bought from new around 17 years ago and I’ve never had an issue with it, plays HDCD too.

Yep, they are great players, sounding superb.
I did however fear the door stop scenario a decade ago, and went to Rega which are fully supported.

Due to limited parts for replacement service, Naim are not always able to repair and support their discontinued CD-players.
A pity really, fingers crossed for you.

As with cars, if you want reliability, stick to made in Japan IMHO.

Japan made may very well have China parts inside - as with all other electronics, I doubt there's few, if any boxes containing parts from one single country.

I have had two Marantz models die and two Cambridge. Both lasers failing and plastic drawer parts falling apart.
They appear to be not suited to tropical weather
For some reason slot loading DVD players have been better for me

Japan made may very well have China parts inside - as with all other electronics, I doubt there's few, if any boxes containing parts from one single country.
If it's old enough to have proved reliability (over 20 years old I'd say) then probably 'made in japan' means just that.

advertisement

Back