advertisement

Car - going electric

I was certainly surprised to see coal just then when i checked Grid Status, it's showing 2.7% now, don't know whether there's a breakdown somewhere
The best place for that is possibly the Carbon Intensity website, it shows predicted CO2 for -24/+48 hours with the ability to download data for chunks of 30 days going back to 2017.

I am always a bit suspicious of Which and their reviews. A few years back they did a digital camera review, my brother who was a professional photographer at the time said they were talking out of their backsides.

@tiggers I can well believe that difficulty. A friend used to work in "community outreach" for a wind energy company here. Basically, the job involved discovering who the most uppity person in the area was, and then figuring out what would stop them from objecting to the planning. Most locals were in favour of the schemes - often it was the "blow-ins" who would kick up the biggest fuss (they're also the ones who move to an area full of farmers, then complain about the noise and smells of farming..)

The hardest jobs were in Northern Ireland, where the biggest concern was always what the Other Lot were getting out of the process, and the constant disbelief that it was actually an even, fair distribution.

On your original question, we use a FIAT 500 electric as our only car. It's a fantastic machine, really well built, lots of tech stuff (including Level 2 automated cruise control), and it's quiet with the kind of off-the-line acceleration you can't get in an petrol car under 300 bhp. Too small for your brief, though, but I'm 6'3" and it's not too small for me. If you don't need rear passengers and can work with a real-world range of 150 miles, it could be worth a look.. there are some 3-year-old models out there now at good prices.

Of everything else I've driven, the only thing I'd recommend against is a Tesla: good performance, but the build quality was pretty off-putting on the car I tried (Model 3), with lots of misaligned parts, and I've heard absolute horror stories from owners about getting spare parts since then.

I am always a bit suspicious of Which and their reviews. A few years back they did a digital camera review, my brother who was a professional photographer at the time said they were talking out of their backsides.

Indeed!

But in this case which seem to base it on a zero star safety rating.

.sjb

EuroNCAP now gives ratings based on Driver Assistance tecnologies, and the way they present these is, to me, a bit disingenuous. It has now also been made very easy to get a zero rating, but nearly impossible to get 2 stars or 1 star, which makes the whole idea of a "rating" meaningless.

The Zoë was given a five-star NCAP rating in 2013. It is not a less safe car today than it was then. Nor have the roads become that much more dangerous in the intervening decade.

For my sins, a few years ago I participated in a "Which?" test of headphones. We were a group of six, including some pretty famous hi-fi and music producer dignitaries. We sat around a table for two whole days, listening to the same samples of various music, and after a few hours I lost the will to live. OK, ultimately subjective, but I cannot imagine how you could do a more comprehensive test. Ever since, I've held "Which?" testing in high regard.

I suppose I am a bit wary of commercial operations with links to product sales being always independent. After all we often have issues with hifi mags giving glowing reviews to those who advertise with them. However take your point.

EuroNCAP now gives ratings based on Driver Assistance tecnologies, and the way they present these is, to me, a bit disingenuous. It has now also been made very easy to get a zero rating, but nearly impossible to get 2 stars or 1 star, which makes the whole idea of a "rating" meaningless.

The Zoë was given a five-star NCAP rating in 2013. It is not a less safe car today than it was then. Nor have the roads become that much more dangerous in the intervening decade.
I have a problem with NCAP, too, and it goes to the undoubted fact that cars have gotten much bigger and heavier since NCAP ratings started to be a driver of sales; I suspect in large part because wider, longer cars, with more crash protection get better scores, but all this takes up more material, and requires more fuel to shift. And that's before we talk about supermarket parking spaces. Drivers of cars which they perceive to be very safe may also take more risks, or be less alert to hazards. NCAP is, IMHO, definitely a mixed blessing, and this latest measure on touchscreens feels like headline-chasing but without bothering to gain an evidential base for the decision, else they'd probably have included climate and audio controls in the list too, for reasons already discussed on the other thread.

@tiggers I can well believe that difficulty. A friend used to work in "community outreach" for a wind energy company here. Basically, the job involved discovering who the most uppity person in the area was, and then figuring out what would stop them from objecting to the planning. Most locals were in favour of the schemes - often it was the "blow-ins" who would kick up the biggest fuss (they're also the ones who move to an area full of farmers, then complain about the noise and smells of farming..)

The hardest jobs were in Northern Ireland, where the biggest concern was always what the Other Lot were getting out of the process, and the constant disbelief that it was actually an even, fair distribution.
Around here (Leeds) the biggest obstacles to anything are the wealthy suburbs and villages to the north of the city. I've a friend in local government and for things like highways the residents, most of whom are retired with time on their hands and successful, so used to winning legal arguments, gang up on Highways and lobby for lower speed limits in and around their villages. You then get a tag-team of retired directors, solicitors and doctors showering in letters and scrutinising the enquiry handling with a fine toothed comb. God help any LA officer who fails to reply on time or deviates in any way from the procedure, that's an immediate solicitor's letter. After 6 or 12 months of this and threatened legal action the LA says "F** it, what do they want? A 30 limit through Atterby Undercliffe and a 50 limit on the A61 between Underby Bywater and Lower Atterby? Jesus, give them it, shut them up!" As a result the A61 has no more than a 50 limit all the way from Leeds to Harrogate, even when you are trundling down straight roads surrounded by fields.

I wonder if the e-scooter and e-bike youngsters will miss the instant kick when they get older.
Good question, also many will be in their parents' ecars and when they realise they can only afford a shitty old engine car for about 20 years, they will probably be motivated to go into further debt just to afford one.

I have a problem with NCAP, too, and it goes to the undoubted fact that cars have gotten much bigger and heavier since NCAP ratings started to be a driver of sales; I suspect in large part because wider, longer cars, with more crash protection get better scores, but all this takes up more material, and requires more fuel to shift. And that's before we talk about supermarket parking spaces. Drivers of cars which they perceive to be very safe may also take more risks, or be less alert to hazards. NCAP is, IMHO, definitely a mixed blessing, and this latest measure on touchscreens feels like headline-chasing but without bothering to gain an evidential base for the decision, else they'd probably have included climate and audio controls in the list too, for reasons already discussed on the other thread.
In the past before I got my car license, I used to quip that the best way to improve car accident statistics and get people to be more cautious drivers (my aim at the time was to reduce the number of motorcycle accidents caused by car drivers) would be to remove seat belts and put a large very sharp spike in the middle of the steering wheel rather than an airbag. Pretty sure people's driving will change beyond recognition if they have a sharp steel spike 4 inches from their hearts.

Good question, also many will be in their parents' ecars and when they realise they can only afford a shitty old engine car for about 20 years, they will probably be motivated to go into further debt just to afford one.
They'll lease one. 10,000 miles a year in a petrol car at 40 mpg is 250 gallons of fuel, say £6.50 a gallon, so £1600. Plus depreciation, servicing, etc. Lease your electric car for £250 a month, £3000 a year. Fuel is almost free, servicing minimal, no depreciation. Suddenly £250 a month isn't too bad. That's before they start with ULEZ in cities and differential road pricing. Drive a petrol car on the motorway? Sure, 30p a mile.

They'll lease one. 10,000 miles a year in a petrol car at 40 mpg is 250 gallons of fuel, say £6.50 a gallon, so £1600. Plus depreciation, servicing, etc. Lease your electric car for £250 a month, £3000 a year. Fuel is almost free, servicing minimal, no depreciation. Suddenly £250 a month isn't too bad. That's before they start with ULEZ in cities and differential road pricing. Drive a petrol car on the motorway? Sure, 30p a mile.
Hopefully they can get past the credit checks.

Especially with mortgages quadrupling and unemployment and many folks up to their necks in debt! One reason all that lovely hi fi remaining unsold

advertisement

Back