advertisement

Cable lifters anyone?

Of course cable lifters work. Do you think electric trains would work if the power cables weren't up in masts?

For the 'lifter' sceptics posting in this thread who nonetheless believe that they hear differences between components that cannot be reliably AB'd, and appear to have no basis in known science, do you not feel you're on thin ice here?

Get rid of cables altogether, move to wireless for everything. Tesla coils work nicely for wireless power.

Of course cable lifters work. Do you think electric trains would work if the power cables weren't up in masts?

Don't get me started on cantilever power lines. British rail is as you may know, making stately, regal process down the London West Coast line, installing them. The problem is the bridges of course. They all have to be raised to take the masts, all of them. Here in Oxfordshire, we are up close and personal with the grisly process. Each takes nearly a year, with plenty of evidence of masterly inactivity.
One of the bridges they didn't raise enough, I'm told and they had to do it again.

A "Spokesperson" about a year ago, said although it was only just underway, it was 2 years behind schedule, no apology or explanation of course.

Sorry, I know this is an audio forum, but I needed to get that of my chest, I feel better now.

Why not make it really interesting and merge this thread with the Power cable thread....

'who uses cable lifters under their power cables ?' :rolleyes:

Ha! There's a question. Not I!! All my stuff is in a cupboard, would be an audiophiles nightmare.. router, nest, wifi and hifi all in the same place.

All my cables are stuffed down the back of my tipped over ikea shelf. No hum or noise, not even sizzle with ears on tweeter or mids at normal listening volume. That's the joy of a fully balanced setup and power amps with over 90db of psrr.

Probably why I don't feel the need for lifters, shifters or grifters.

Ha! There's a question. Not I!! All my stuff is in a cupboard, would be an audiophiles nightmare.. router, nest, wifi and hifi all in the same place.

So this is curious, given there's actual bona fide scientific evidence to explain why separating alternating mains current from line-level signal is a really good idea - and I'm assuming you didn't listen to both a properly installed system and then a rats nest of cable and decide you preferred the latter?

The psychology of "forum" in all it's naked glory

The op is a genius, i really should have thought of this, shame on me, my mates will be kicking me for years over this.

2 years of trying & all it needed was a cable lifter thread, big sigh.

Some people seem to think they make a difference. The following is from:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/dedicated2/cabletower.html

Removing the Cable Towers for comparison was definitely a step in the wrong direction. "What the hell is my carpet doing to my stereo?" was scribbled in my listening notes. Comparatively, the music shone weakly through a less-transparent window, dynamic range was reduced, the toms sounded more like plastic buckets than drums and the grinding crunch of the heavy guitars was less crunchy - like cereal that sits too long in milk. I couldn't wait to switch back and continue listening with the Cable Towers again.

And the claimed science? behind it:

Low capacitance-to-ground (or surroundings) is one of the main goals of the Cable Tower. Lower influences equates to less signal degradation, coloration and smear. We can achieve better tests results over the porcelain powerline insulators due to our lower dielectric constant, unique patent-pending design and lower contact surface area.

Insertion capacitance is the capacitance gain each elevator (or Cable Tower) introduces into the signal path. As you can see, each porcelain insertion capacitance value is nearly 4 x greater than that of Cable Tower. For example, should a listener insert 4 risers per cable, the porcelain insulator will introduce nearly 16 x greater insertion capacitance per channel over the Cable Tower. Again, Cable Tower shows superior performance over the porcelain high-tension power pole insulator; lower capacitance and less signal degradation.

advertisement

Back