advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect (2023 ‘Epic Fail’ box set edition)

No classical education here, but eternally wining? Or something that sounds like that?

Looks to be a £2.49 bottle of wine, which is roughly what I‘d expect the breakfast wine of choice for those still arguing for Brexit in the face of all evidence to be.

That brings back memories- remember when people used to take the motor over to Calais and stuff it to the roof with fags and drink? Strictly for personal consumption mind. Before that in the 80s if you were young, they’d stop you off flights from Amsterdam and ask if you’d been taking illegal substances.

I knew a few people who got searched when they gave them a sarcastic answer. One with a broken leg got his walking stick taken away and X rayed and another had his pockets gone through until they found a single tea leaf sized bit of grass in his shirt pocket pulled it out with tweezers but decided to let him off with a caution.

Will they be training a whole new generation of officious little zealots at Gove’s Brexit tool academies?

qpbGFS1.jpg

Looks to be a £2.49 bottle of wine, which is roughly what I‘d expect the breakfast wine of choice for those still arguing for Brexit in the face of all evidence to be.

You never know, Tony, even at £2.49 it might be quite tasty. We're all for a bargain in these straightened times, after all.

My argument is far less for brexit than against the EU. Yours should be too, though I'd expect you're probably more of a Stella kind of guy.

Yours should be too, though I'd expect you're probably more of a Stella kind of guy.

Stella? Yikes, not a chance. More Islay single malt here, though I do like a nice wine or bottle of Leffe too.

PS I’m a woke liberal FFS! Stella? That’s Lee Anderson fuel. The shite the Yaxley Lennons Of Brexit drink before smashing up Asian shops etc. Very much your side of the argument.

BTW, I'm quite certain that you've never seen me arguing the case for smashing up Asian shops (etc..).

In the past 24 hours I've been wished dead and labelled a racist. All in a day's fun and games on pfm.

Christ, did I touch a nerve?

I just found it somewhat amusing/telling that the ex-public schoolboy with a latin username apparently assumes everyone who disagrees with their elitist right-wing establishment view of ‘sovereignty’ is a Stella-drinking chav. No anger in my post, it is just taking the piss.

No, I’ve never suggested you were the kind of racist that would smash up Asian shops, just the kind of person who’d turn a blind eye that their arguments enabled others to do so. You can not deny Brexit has vastly increased xenophobia, racism and racist violence. Some racist violence, e.g. the Rwanda refugee rendition scheme, coming directly from the Brexit-empowered Tory state itself.

The demonisation and scapegoating of ‘others’ was always the core selling point and you willingly backed that side. I called it out at the time, and I call it out now. From the very start Brexit was sold as a far-right racist/nationalist project even if the underlying reason was to protect elite crown tax havens and oligarch money-laundering schemes.

I often quite enjoy your performative theatrical allusions, but this one has gone right over my head I'm afraid.

I see there's been the usual pile in of admirers. Perhaps one of these literary likkers will explain for me @ff1d1l @nmtjb @SteveS1
I was rather obviously I thought, referring to your celebrity victimhood with that classic pearl clutch- “I did wonder who would be first…”. I mean it’s not like you didn’t have your fishing rod out. You see this delightful inversion all over the media, notably with Farage and his victim of “debanking” fiction, victim of racism, victim of discrimination ( because no one would vote him into Parliament 7 times).

Its getting that the well heeled white man can’t speak his mind in his own country any longer.

Going back (slightly) to the beginning of checks on various imported goods, I think this will be a clear case of harm, delays and increased costs that are undeniably a consequence of brexit.

This is why the government has been so slow and unwilling to implement them, despite the issues it has left us exposed to. JRM’s “evidently self-harming“ etc.

It is also means that those who poo-poohed “Project Fear” and thought brexit would have no negative consequences will have to face up to a particularly glaring example of how wrong they were, an example which will hit them directly in the pocket.

Going back (slightly) to the beginning of checks on various imported goods, I think this will be a clear case of harm, delays and increased costs that are undeniably a consequence of brexit.

This is why the government has been so slow and unwilling to implement them, despite the issues it has left us exposed to. JRM’s “evidently self-harming“ etc.

It is also means that those who poo-poohed “Project Fear” and thought brexit would have no negative consequences will have to face up to a particularly glaring example of how wrong they were, an example which will hit them directly in the pocket.
The unforgivable behaviour was the zealous and purely emblematic divergence of standards and regulations. We could have kept the status quo accepting EU goods with EU standards as we had for decades and keeping ours aligned in the same way. At zero added cost. Now we are reaping the consequences of loony British exceptionalism but never mind, just taste the sovereignty

advertisement

Back