advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect (2023 ‘Epic Fail’ box set edition)

You often seem to articulate a quite solipsistic sense of your own elevated intelligence.

From what I've seen so far, the only people who are interested in border checks being commenced are various people who voted against them, like the semi-hysterical European Movement UK I mentioned upstream. And, it seems PsB.

Priceless bit of nonsense, anything but owning your own decision. Everyone else is at fault.

Priceless bit of nonsense, anything but owning your own decision. Everyone else is at fault.

I was neither levelling blame, nor trying to deny the consequences of my decision to vote to leave, merely pointing out that some people seem to be a bit confused. Are you demanding the immediate implementation of border checks too?

I was neither levelling blame, nor trying to deny the consequences of my decision to vote to leave, merely pointing out that some people seem to be a bit confused.

Except they're not are they? People who didn’t want additional border checks as part of relationships with our nearest neighbours have observed that those who were prepared to accept them, seem strangely reluctant to implement them.

It’s almost as if they too regard them as undesirable. In which case, perhaps their original position that these measures were acceptable, was not an honest one.

Except they're not are they? People who didn’t want additional border checks as part of relationships with our nearest neighbours have observed that those who were prepared to accept them, seem strangely reluctant to implement them.
You're both twisting my point, and evading it. People who didn't want additional border checks seem to be in an unseemly rush to get them. That represents, to my mind, a degree of confusion. Does it to yours?

It’s almost as if they too regard them as undesirable. In which case, perhaps their original position that these measures were acceptable, was not an honest one.
I am amongst the governed. I don't speak for the government. If they choose to implement checks, I hope it will be for good reasons, and if there are none of those, I hope that they don't. I anyway suspect the decision will fall to the next government.

I suspect that I consider 'good reasons' to revolve around the risk of bacterial or sanitary infection (eg Xylella fastidiosa in plants, already implemented) and quite possibly 'bad reasons' to revolve around the kind of protectionism which is normal practice in EU bloc.

You're both twisting my point, and evading it. People who didn't want additional border checks seem to be in an unseemly rush to get them. That represents, to my mind, a degree of confusion. Does it to yours?

You are the one doing the twisting. These people have not claimed they want border checks, they have noticed that those who were prepared for them are failing to implement them. There is nothing confusing in that - except in your snippy attempt to obfuscate the straightforward, which of course is nothing new.

I am amongst the governed. I don't speak for the government. If they choose to implement checks, I hope it will be for good reasons, and if there are none of those, I hope that they don't. I anyway suspect the decision will fall to the next government.

I suspect any repair to relationships and processes will be the role of a future government, unburdened by the need to play to people who bought assurances that were totally incompatible.

I suspect that I consider 'good reasons' to revolve around the risk of bacterial or sanitary infection (eg Xylella fastidiosa in plants, already implemented) and quite possibly 'bad reasons' to revolve around the kind of protectionism which is normal practice in EU bloc.

A trade bloc (or country) protecting it’s market - who’d have thought. Good job none of the people we hope to trade with do it - oh wait.

Reactions: PsB
You are the one doing the twisting. These people have not claimed they want border checks, they have noticed that those who were prepared for them are failing to implement them. There is nothing confusing in that - except in your snippy attempt to obfuscate the straightforward, which of course is nothing new.
No, ffs Steve, I'm really not. You might pay a bit more attention before you start slinging accusations around. It was me who originally pointed out upstream somewhere the the EU Movement UK (who obvs didn't vote for border checks) was parroting NFU Scotland in squawking for the implementation of border checks due to an apparent outbreak of salmonella emanating from a Polish exporter of frozen raw chicken products. Its a couple of pages back and goes on for quite a few posts. You know all this.

Christ, and you accuse me of obfuscating!

I suspect any repair to relationships and processes will be the role of a future government, unburdened by the need to play to people who bought assurances that were totally incompatible.
Well, yes, I think we're all ready for a clean break and a fresh start.

A trade bloc (or country) protecting it’s market - who’d have thought. Good job none of the people we hope to trade with do it - oh wait.
Economic growth in the EU (in which I include the UK) has been at little more than a standstill for the last 15 years, and in some individual cases longer still. The bloc is rapidly shrinking as a proportion of global GDP. It might just be that excessive protectionism and regulation constitutes an element of this.

No, ffs Steve, I'm really not. You might pay a bit more attention before you start slinging accusations around. It was me who originally pointed out upstream somewhere the the EU Movement UK (who obvs didn't vote for border checks) was parroting NFU Scotland in squawking for the implementation of border checks due to an apparent outbreak of salmonella emanating from a Polish exporter of frozen raw chicken products. Its a couple of pages back and goes on for quite a few posts. You know all this.

Christ, and you accuse me of obfuscating!

The imbalance in health/safety checks, which is I assume what the NFU would be concerned about is a different issue - if that is genuinely what you were referring to, then why slip into this…...

Another one who voted against border inspections moaning about the fact that the UK hasn't instigated border inspections.

Which was quite obviously aimed at someone here and was both snippy and non-specific.

People who didn't want additional border checks seem to be in an unseemly rush to get them.

What do you mean by that?
People who voted Remain knew they be put in place on the EU side of the border.
Of course if Leaving has left Remainers unprotected after losing the EU protection umbrella it is only natural that they want border checks pronto.
Brexit has opened the door to all kinds of cråp, as if we didn't have enough of that at home.

From a speech by JCorb:

"We, the Labour Party, are overwhelmingly for staying in, because we believe the European Union has brought investment, jobs and protection for workers, consumers and the environment.
"But also because we recognise that our membership offers a crucial route to meeting the challenges we face in the 21st century, on climate change, on restraining the power of global corporations and ensuring they pay fair taxes, on tackling cyber-crime and terrorism, on ensuring trade is fair with protections for workers and consumers and in addressing refugee movements."

What do you mean by that?
I've explained more than once.

People who voted Remain knew they be put in place on the EU side of the border.
As did people who voted leave.

Of course if Leaving has left Remainers unprotected after losing the EU protection umbrella it is only natural that they want border checks pronto.
Brexit has opened the door to all kinds of cråp, as if we didn't have enough of that at home.
The production of foods & goods in the EU takes place under EU regulation, be those goods for the single market or for export. Imports into the UK from the EU will have taken place under those regulations, just as was the case before the UK left. The foods in question were produced by a Polish exporter, and were, as it turned out, crap, despite being produced in the EU to EU standards, and they made people across the EU unwell. When the UK was in the EU it would have been unable to implement checks at the borders, but now, having left, it can. The irony lies in the fact that people who opposed the UK leaving the EU (and thus the implementation of border checks on, to use your own description, crap) are now calling for the UK to implement the border checks that it would have been unable to implement had their/your vote won the referendum.

Would you like the UK to implement border checks on EU goods? It sounds from your last sentence as though you would.

Have we had a resolution to the Windsor knot yet? The issue where a few demented old Ulster Unionists get assurances no one has as much as glanced at their Great British sausages coming across the Irish Sea?

….oops, maybe not,
“Meanwhile prominent loyalist activist Jamie Bryson, who has organised a number of anti-Protocol rallies in recent years, said that unionists must be vigilant against any “surrender deal”.”

Its still No Surrender (Deal).

January 31st- the day Blighty has pledged to secure its borders against the biohazard threat of EU foods and liquor comin in. I gather there’s a grace period until March before graduates of Gove’s Tool Academy start shoving pitch forks through turnips on the back of Polish Lorries at Dover. Pray for the von Trapp family.

Reactions: PsB

advertisement

Back