advertisement

Best speakers under £2000 (match up valve amplification)

Again thanks muzzer, All your input is much appreciated sir.

Rob.
I have had Audio Note J&E here over the years, the J's are one of my favourite loudspeakers.
They are not showy or in your face like some but they just let the music do the talking and they are well suited to valve amplification.
I had some LV Avatars here for a week and really enjoyed them also
Pic of the Avatars so you have some idea of size.

Kinder

Audio Physic yes, if you can find a way of driving down to Germany, but them there and bring them back in your car, there will indeed be great savings to you.

Love to go Germany, Not sure reason to collect a pair of speakers "long journey" :)

I believe you can find audio physic speakers in the uk. Beautifully built cabinets !

They weren't mine I borrowed them off a mate to try out, great speakers but I had AN/Js at the time and I slightly prefered the latter but the ones for sale on the Wam are a higher spec.
The guy who lent them to me sold them, then bought my J's and he has now gone back to a pair of Avatar's!!

I only wish I had your space... The wife hated my kit in our living room.
(Converted garage // turned into new music room) Just about dooo able , 19ft x 8.5ft :)

Hi Lefty,

I do have a as new pair of revolver AudioVue floorstanders as a stop gap purchase!
They are actually underrated, as they do music damn well. Pic link here below,
also other bits of my kit incl Audion Silver Night amps, More than welcome to take a peek :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/98462318@N04/9219573547/

Hi Rob,

Nice amps you've there, as I owned one of their Sterling ESTE back in 1993 ( as my second venture into tube based amp after an Audio Innovations Series 500 in 1989 ) and still have fond memories of it to this day - beautiful photos of your system and listening space as well.

Have you given any thought to smaller speakers like say ProAc Tablettes or Response One ' SCs '? ( or one of their newer models ) Totem Acoustics Mites or Dreamcatchers or even their Arro models would suit your layout or Audio Physic Steps? or Harbeth P3ESRs? - System Audio SA-505s from Denmark are another excellent option - along with a few others which would require about half a day to list.

Just a thought.
o_O scar

Hi, Thanks mate, Yeah I am delighted with the Audion 300B silver nights,,

I have owned Totem Arro's , also Totem Model 1 Signature's,,, both nice.
I have also heard Proac tablettes in the past , on the end of a Naim system, unsure on them?!
My room aint big, so I will have to be careful on next speaker choice.

I do have my Revolver AudioVue speakers, Tall n thin, do not take much space, They do sound quite fantastic. But i will upgrade first chance.

Hi, Thanks mate, Yeah I am delighted with the Audion 300B silver nights,,

I have owned Totem Arro's , also Totem Model 1 Signature's,,, both nice.
I have also heard Proac tablettes in the past , on the end of a Naim system, unsure on them?!
My room aint big, so I will have to be careful on next speaker choice.

I do have my Revolver AudioVue speakers, Tall n thin, do not take much space, They do sound quite fantastic. But i will upgrade first chance.

Rob,

You're welcome.

I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying your 300B silver knights as they're very beautiful to behold and I can only imagine the sound you're getting with your current system as it stands.

But if you're in fact looking for speakers that are earlier to drive?, which I think that 24w/pc would in fact offer you a lot of options but the way compared to the standard 8/9 watts in most cases as produced from 300Bs.

And if you thought that you enjoyed said ProAc Tablettes or Totem Model One Signatures in the past?, wait until you've heard them driven by tubes - it's another level of purity all together - and I'd have to say that I much preferred the earlier version of the Totem Model One w/. Dynaudio Mid/Bass drivers compared to the later Vi-Fi versions as revised into the newer version said Model One Signatures.

Which in your room - as I've heard them in spaces all of 16' wide by 23' deep and they filled said space effortlessly. But you're going about this from the right approach - as one should always look at how any given speakers drives the room or ones entire home for that matter - as I can clearly hear my little system from the rear bedroom of an 1.400 square foot apartment - and see/view this as if I'm able to hear it that far away - then being seated right in front of it can then be used at lower levels, and here I'm talking all of 15w/pc.

So, if said speakers drive said space properly?, I'd then say leave it be.

As this would then allow for improvements else where - like power cords...., but don't get me started on the tweaking matters like isolation devices/platforms - as some tend to believe that neither matters?, yet I'm a believer in what I hear with my own ears/senses and can't be misled so easily as others.

As each/every component within ones system should in fact be isolated from airborne resonance points and/or vibrations within said components themselves.

As motors/platters within turntables or spinning motions within the drawers of CD Players both rotate - they make noise.
Internal components vibrate - hence noise.
Speaker move according to the sound waves - front/back and laterally as they are driven - hence resonance and/or unwanted noise within the music itself.

But, I'm going to stop there - as I'm not trying to instill my beliefs onto others in so much as trying to get others to see that there's more to getting the best from their systems then merely placing them on a sideboard and thinking you're hearing it in all its glory - far, far from the best results I might add.

But we can discuss said matters at a later date - for now just buy into any given speakers that bring about an emotional reaction from said amps as well as how they speak to your heart/senses and you'll be okay.

Cheers,
o_Oh

Interesting thread and one I'm keeping an eye in as I have recently gone to SET 20w amp and feel a speaker change coming on, always fancied AN-E or ZU's

Interesting thread and one I'm keeping an eye in as I have recently gone to SET 20w amp and feel a speaker change coming on, always fancied AN-E or ZU's

I know someone who has had both, I think the AN-E would be the simple choice and easier to match with your amps, the ZU's need a home demo as they are a bit different in their presentation.;)

Hi Lordhenley,

Being American - I've can say that I've heard my share of Zu Audio products since 2004, and I'm not trying to start a holy war here or anything - so lets not go their please naysayers.

But, I've found that in regards to musical purity that the AN-K or AN-J's are more then capable and actually preferred by most depending basically upon ones room size that is?.

Zu's strike me as more about hi-Rez as far as extended highs go, but from a purely musical prescriptive - the AN's as well as original Snell Acoustics are some of the most memorable speakers I've ever encountered - and I've heard my fair share over the 31 years at this.

It's not about flash - in so much as musical purity.

Regards,
o_O scar

advertisement

Back