advertisement

Best speakers under £2000 (match up valve amplification)

kinder1973

pfm Member
Ok guys, I now have my Audion silver night mono blocks. x2 24watts pure class a... Not wimps, but still need carefully to match with good efficient high quality speakers... Any good suggestions would be much appreciated?

hehe, I guess my Royd RR1's are not ideal at 83db :D

Thanks

Do your Royds go loud enough for you though?

Someone is selling some Proac D18s in the classifieds within your budget. I've heard that Proacs work really nicely with valve amps.

Rich

Not ideal! The RR1's i own, were previously partnered with my recent Dynavector Pre/Pwr amps . HX-75 L200. Now using Audion valves, RR1's unfortunately have to go.
I need another decent set of speakers, that actually make music.

Rob.

I recently bought ex-dem Sonus Faber Liuto Towers within that budget (just). Reasonable efficient (89db) and reputed to be easy to drive Only if you have enough space though - they need a decent size room and to be at least a metre away from the walls. And Yes they do make music!

I have Proac D28s and have tried a few valve and hybrid amps and they all sounded good - especially a Leben CS600 which was sublime IMO.
Keep a look out for suitable proacs with sensitivity of 88-89 and above - they will be reasonably easy to drive and are very musical speakers

Would not wish to go any lower than 89db, although, My room isn't large being a converted garage, 19ft length x 8.5 ft wide. So darlek sized (monster speakers) are a no no !

My speaker preference will be quite new models, 'not brand new', slim line floorstanders would be good, as only 8.5ft width listening room, I need as much space between, also enough space - away from side walls... Tough task I know :)

audio physics look superb. I remember listening to I THINK model speakers audio physic Virgo 3's approx 10yrs back..... Quite big speakers, same side firing, again around 3.5k new.

Ok guys, I now have my Audion silver night mono blocks. x2 24watts pure class a... Not wimps, but still need carefully to match with good efficient high quality speakers... Any good suggestions would be much appreciated?

hehe, I guess my Royd RR1's are not ideal at 83db :D

Thanks

How about the Soul Mk11's at the Audio Counsel he has for sale at £1750.00?

Hi Lefty, Im new to Audion , or any valve amps! I did not realise Audio Note do speakers?

At what costs?

Thanks
Rob.

Hi Rob,

Audion valve amps are superb. I've had two at home:

• Silver Note One (4w, 2A3, SET)
  • Silver Night mkII (8w, 300B SET)
The Silver Note One was the most 'fun' amp I've ever had. Fast, punchy and vibrant. Superb.

Audio Note make a whole range of speakers, starting from around £500, going all the way up to silly money. Unfortunately, it has become difficult to know exactly how much they cost, as Audio Note have stopped dealers publishing prices. Last time I checked, AZ3H were around £1450. I was using a humble little pair of AZ1 on the end of the Silver Note One and this combo was breathtaking.

I would also get a listen to Zu speakers, as they seen very good (on paper). Others to try include Heco, Revolver, Triangle and Q acoustics.

Good luck :)

Lefty

Used Audio Note or Living Voice Avatars are good with valves and can be found within the price range you are looking at. The LVs need a bit of space around them to work well in my experience.

There is a list of SET friendly speakers on Salvatore's High End Audio website:

http://www.high-endaudio.com/RECENT.html#Mis

(Scroll to the end of the June 2013 update section). It is rather US-oriented but may be useful for you to think of other options.

advertisement

Back