advertisement

Best Punk Song?

droodzilla

pfm Member
Really enjoying Punk Britannia on BBC4 tonight, but what's the best punk song ever?

Babylon's Burning by The Ruts just got me pogo-ing around the room. In a Rut is even better, maybe.

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the Sham 69 performance - I always thought they were sh*t but looking back I rather like the cartoony style. I preferred it to the clip featuring The Clash - I never really got that band.

Magazine are peerless of course but they're not really a punk band in my view; at least they moved very rapidly beyond the self-imposed constraints of punk.

Right now it's Joy Division Lost Control....

Enjoying this evenings TV greatly!

But overall, Pretty Vacant has to be it for me.

Can't really argue with that!

Now we have the Au Pairs/Gang of Four double whammy. Maybe not punk, strictly speaking, but great stuff regardless.

Read the title and immediately thought of The Ruts. Good call.
Babylon's Burning and/or Shine on Me here.

It has to be the first "punk" #1

Rat Trap

22814153_10155907613022009_5073466130140830849_n.jpg

.sjb

Their first single was punk IMHO.
[youtube]-ul_vTkwgs4[/youtube]

Other favourites:

[youtube]9da6d-wxnM8[/youtube]

Tomorrow it might be 'Bodies', '1.2.X.U', 'Too Drunk to F***' or 'Never Been in a Riot'...

Last edited by a moderator:
As a musician "Babylon's Burning"..... in the spirit of proper DIY punk then this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure Joy Division were a punk band. Warsaw, yes, but JD, I don't think so.
My favourite punk song is either 'Complete Control' or 'White Man in Hammersmith Palais', both by The Clash.

Department S - Is Vic There?
Richard Hell - Blank Generation
Skids - Into The Valley
The Plugz - Reel 10
Radio Stars - Dirty Pictures
Sex Pistols - Pretty Vacant
Siouxsie - Hong Kong Garden
Wire - I Am The Fly

Oh what the heck, The Ruts - Babylon’s Burning stands up well.

No Fun or I Wanna Be Your Dog by The Stooges is the correct answer. If 1976-7 UK punk then Anarchy In The UK.

advertisement

Back