advertisement

Battleship NAP180

Hi Malcolm,
Nice job you have made of this rebuild. When you knocked up the Cap 6 Modules did you use Les to source your components or did you just know what component went where?
Also the feedback cap and input cap, what components have you used?
Did you use Avondale to source the 700v Toroidal transformer and was it an R core type.
Sorry about all the questions, it's just that this type of project interests me!!
Lastly, what sort of costs were involved in carrying out the upgrade?
Thanks Chris

Thank you for your kind comments Chris. I bought the CAP6s ready made from Les. I'm not sure if he sells bare pcbs for these.

So far I have changed the input cap to a 10 uF, 25V BC128 solid aluminium. The existing feedback cap is a 100 uF, 10V tant which I am thinking of changing to a Kemet military spec metal cased one.

The transformer is indeed from Les at Avondale and is toroidal - take a look at the photos I posted earlier this morning.

I took my time over the build but it could easily be completed in a day.

I don't think it is right for me to comment on cost here except to say that the improvement is stunning and worth every penny! Get on the 'phone to Les and talk it over with him.

malcolm

I don't think it is right for me to comment on cost here except to say that the improvement is stunning and worth every penny! Get on the 'phone to Les and talk it over with him.

malcolm

At least one of my friends and I rate the 180 as more musical and definitely better value than the 250. These mods take the 180 to another level without losing its musicality. It's like lifting several veils off the music; the grip on the speakers is immense and the ability to identify individual instruments is superb.

The Naim boards really come alive when you increase the rails to 50V and you'd be hard pressed to do that with the regulator boards in the 250.

You can pick up a good used 180 for around £425, add in the cost of mods described plus a couple of fresh tantalums and you'll have a brand new super amp plus change from the price of an average second hand olive 250.

If you're reaching for your keyboard please don't hijack this thread into a 180 vs 250 argument. This is just my subjective, humble opinion! One man's meat is another man's poison!

malcolm

Hi Malcolm.

Excellent work and a very good choice you have made IMO.

I remember well the improvements brought when replacing the Naim PSU boards with minicaps in my 140's.

Like you i have kept the Naim amp boards and have the same input coupling cap as you. The feedback tant i replaced with a 47uf Evox MMK on flying leads as they are quite big. The bias tant i replaced with an oscon but i dont know what if any improvement this has brought.

I still use the original transformers. Maybe one day i will experiment here.

I use two 140's as monoblocks with left and right channels having totally seperate transformers and minicaps in their own cases. I can't recommend highly enough the change that this brought. Jaw dropping etc etc.

Eventually i may try the NCC200 boards and relegate the Naim boards to a second system.

stu

stu

Hi Malcolm.

Excellent work and a very good choice you have made IMO.

I use two 140's as monoblocks with left and right channels having totally seperate transformers and minicaps in their own cases. I can't recommend highly enough the change that this brought. Jaw dropping etc etc.

Eventually i may try the NCC200 boards and relegate the Naim boards to a second system.

stu

stu

Seems like we're headed in the same direction. I just bought another pair of Naim boards from Les on eBay and have two pairs of transformers (see my thread on cheap transformers at Farnell) with a view to building monoblocks. Even though I'm in love with the Naim sound I would like to try the ncc200 sometime - anyone live close enough to Pembrokeshire for me to have a listen?

malcolm

advertisement

Back