1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Battleship NAP180

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by misterc6, Feb 10, 2009.

1. misterc6

misterc6 Wasted and wounded, it ain’t what the moon did

I didn't believe it could be done but here is my NAP180 complete with 2 x CAP6 and a 700 VA transformer giving 50 volt power rails:

http://picasaweb.google.com/misterc6mg/Pfm?pli=1&gsessionid=bFrdmkebQICHZjlYKvwEPQ&feat=directlink

It all went in quite easily. Many thanks to LesW for his advice and putting up with my 'phone calls.

How does it sound? Blooming marvellous! I'm hearing things in familiar recordings that I never knew were there and, best of all, it's retained the Naim sound.

malcolm

2. flatpopely

flatpopely Prog Rock/Moderator

I bet that is ace!

3. zener

zener fluff

4. YNWOAN

YNWOAN 100% Analogue

What's the difference then between the Mini Cap module and the ones in the Nap180 pictured?

5. flatpopely

6. misterc6

To the best of my knowledge the MiniCap6 is much smaller and uses fast recovery diodes rather than Schottky diodes. Not sure about it's capacitors, the CAP6 has 6 x 5600 uF.

LesW or Zener will be able to tell you more.

malcolm

7. misterc6

Oh YES!!!

malcolm

8. 337alant

337alant Negatively Biased

Very nice Malcolm ;)

9. misterc6

Thank you kind sir! It's my first project after a 15 year layoff and I've got the bug again!

10. trancera

trancera pfm Member

That looks like the new Full Cap6 but with low profile caps to fit, nice job!

Mines the same traffo but has minicaps ... someone always rains on your parade dont they?

Well done Malcolm, certainly a neater job than mine. Time for an update I think!

11. misterc6

Thanks for that. I think that these are the full size CAP6s not the new low profile. Look at the height of the caps above the diode heatsink and then compare with the pics on the Avondale site - that's why I was amazed that they fitted!

malcolm

12. a.palfreyman

a.palfreyman pfm Member

13. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

14. flatpopely

Replace the feedback caps, well worthwhile!

15. Jo Sharp

Jo Sharp Pulls on doors marked push

Very neat job Sir!

Feedback cap is a good next move....and NCC200s would be the icing on the cake in due course.

16. hacker

hacker Delicious and nutritious

Very nice Malcom :) You can optimize your wiring slightly by taking the loudspeaker 0V wires (blue) directly to the noisy end of the CAP6 boards. This reduces impedance by having the loudspeaker 0V snug against the transformer centre-tap (black wires) without the loudspeaker return current needing to travel through the CAP6 tracks first.

Cheers,
    Carl

17. misterc6

Thanks Carl, I had seen one similar amp wired the way you suggest. I'll give it a try!

malcolm

18. stackowax

stackowax pfm Member

Don't suppose you have a "before" picture do you?

19. misterc6

20. CRN

CRN Jesus Rules

Hi Malcolm,
    Nice job you have made of this rebuild. When you knocked up the Cap 6 Modules did you use Les to source your components or did you just know what component went where?
    Also the feedback cap and input cap, what components have you used?
    Did you use Avondale to source the 700v Toroidal transformer and was it an R core type.
    Sorry about all the questions, it's just that this type of project interests me!!
    Lastly, what sort of costs were involved in carrying out the upgrade?
    Thanks Chris