advertisement

Battleship NAP180

misterc6

Wasted and wounded, it ain’t what the moon did
I didn't believe it could be done but here is my NAP180 complete with 2 x CAP6 and a 700 VA transformer giving 50 volt power rails:

http://picasaweb.google.com/misterc6mg/Pfm?pli=1&gsessionid=bFrdmkebQICHZjlYKvwEPQ&feat=directlink

It all went in quite easily. Many thanks to LesW for his advice and putting up with my 'phone calls.

How does it sound? Blooming marvellous! I'm hearing things in familiar recordings that I never knew were there and, best of all, it's retained the Naim sound.

malcolm

What's the difference then between the Mini Cap module and the ones in the Nap180 pictured?

What's the difference then between the Mini Cap module and the ones in the Nap180 pictured?

To the best of my knowledge the MiniCap6 is much smaller and uses fast recovery diodes rather than Schottky diodes. Not sure about it's capacitors, the CAP6 has 6 x 5600 uF.

LesW or Zener will be able to tell you more.

malcolm

That looks like the new Full Cap6 but with low profile caps to fit, nice job!

Mines the same traffo but has minicaps ... someone always rains on your parade dont they?

Well done Malcolm, certainly a neater job than mine. Time for an update I think!

That looks like the new Full Cap6 but with low profile caps to fit, nice job!

Mines the same traffo but has minicaps ... someone always rains on your parade dont they?

Well done Malcolm, certainly a neater job than mine. Time for an update I think!

Thanks for that. I think that these are the full size CAP6s not the new low profile. Look at the height of the caps above the diode heatsink and then compare with the pics on the Avondale site - that's why I was amazed that they fitted!

malcolm

Very neat job Sir!

Feedback cap is a good next move....and NCC200s would be the icing on the cake in due course.

Very nice Malcom :) You can optimize your wiring slightly by taking the loudspeaker 0V wires (blue) directly to the noisy end of the CAP6 boards. This reduces impedance by having the loudspeaker 0V snug against the transformer centre-tap (black wires) without the loudspeaker return current needing to travel through the CAP6 tracks first.

Cheers,
Carl

Very nice Malcom :) You can optimize your wiring slightly by taking the loudspeaker 0V wires (blue) directly to the noisy end of the CAP6 boards. This reduces impedance by having the loudspeaker 0V snug against the transformer centre-tap (black wires) without the loudspeaker return current needing to travel through the CAP6 tracks first.

Cheers,
Carl

Thanks Carl, I had seen one similar amp wired the way you suggest. I'll give it a try!

malcolm

Don't suppose you have a "before" picture do you?

I didn't believe it could be done but here is my NAP180 complete with 2 x CAP6 and a 700 VA transformer giving 50 volt power rails:

http://picasaweb.google.com/misterc6mg/Pfm?pli=1&gsessionid=bFrdmkebQICHZjlYKvwEPQ&feat=directlink

It all went in quite easily. Many thanks to LesW for his advice and putting up with my 'phone calls.

How does it sound? Blooming marvellous! I'm hearing things in familiar recordings that I never knew were there and, best of all, it's retained the Naim sound.

malcolm

Hi Malcolm,
Nice job you have made of this rebuild. When you knocked up the Cap 6 Modules did you use Les to source your components or did you just know what component went where?
Also the feedback cap and input cap, what components have you used?
Did you use Avondale to source the 700v Toroidal transformer and was it an R core type.
Sorry about all the questions, it's just that this type of project interests me!!
Lastly, what sort of costs were involved in carrying out the upgrade?
Thanks Chris

advertisement

Back