advertisement

AVI S21 Integrated Topless Shots

My own comment is really the build quality is incredibly well designed - how close the compenents are to one another - say for example the volume pot adjuster rod is very close to the Jamicon cap!

PS I haven’t heard from JC Brum for ages now and heard a nasty rumour he may no longer be with us, I know he had some heart surgery or something serious a few years back but I thought he had recovered ok. Can anyone confirm/deny this? He hasn’t checked in here since early Jan which is most unusual for him. I know we banged heads a little online but I did like the guy.

Just spotted this elsewhere: "The late JC Brum said it more forcefully..." :(

Plastic bits are the screw receivers.

pDOUnHKh.jpg

Yes, look like the plastic fixings for the RCA plugs. Not the first time I’ve heard of them failing if the user used heavy rigid audiophile cabling.

What are AVI up to these these days? Just had a look at the AVI website and the forum and shop look to be gone. I got the impression that Ash sold up sometime last year or at least sold a substantial share, but it all seems rather quiet over there now. There is a list of a few dealers on the front page, but no indication of how current it is.

PS I haven’t heard from JC Brum for ages now and heard a nasty rumour he may no longer be with us, I know he had some heart surgery or something serious a few years back but I thought he had recovered ok. Can anyone confirm/deny this? He hasn’t checked in here since early Jan which is most unusual for him. I know we banged heads a little online but I did like the guy.
Hi Tony. :)

It's all change at AVI this year. Ash has retired now and often goes for several weeks at a time without visiting the forum. JC Brum sadly passed away earlier this year. The AVI forum is much quieter these days and it looks like it will probably go offline sometime early 2018.

The future for AVI still looks rosy though. Most importantly the company founder Martin Grindrod, the brains behind all AVI gear, is still there doing the the design work. Now that Ash has retired Martin has been joined by a new partner, also called Martin, who runs the business side of things. That's why they now sell through shops and are happy to have speakers reviewed in magazines.

The company has two new speakers on the horizon that will join the current range of DM5, DM10 and the 10" subwoofer. The next new speaker is the DM12 which is similar to the DM10 but slightly larger, has better sound quality and will cost around £3000. The DM12 is already being sold to the far East and will be available in the UK soon. There's also a floor standing speaker in the works too but so far there's no information about that one other than that it's a floorstander.

Last edited:
Really rather upset about JC. What folk probably don’t know is whilst we often banged heads on line (I had a habit of correcting Ash’s errors & exaggerations!) he’d phone me up for a chat now and again and he was a really nice guy.

Good to hear AVI are moving in a forward direction. I’ll be very interested to see what the new partnership brings.

Really rather upset about JC.

Me too. :(

He was one of my favorite internet characters that I've ever come across. I never met him in person but regularly exchanged posts with him on various hifi forums and found him to be a very knowledgeable person. I rather enjoyed his sense of humor and devilment too. RIP JC.

RIP JC indeed, he was good company on here.
Incidentally Tony, now that a certain banned character is no longer associated with AVI, does that mean we can talk about AVI gear again? I like the stuff, there is a CD2000 making great music as I type.

Absolutely. FWIW I've never been anti-AVI at all, only highly skeptical of some of the claims/marketing.

Great. I know you weren't anti-AVI, just that if there was ever a thread that said anything remotely negative then banned you-know-who would get on his high horse about not being able to defend the brand and email you to death, so you canned the thread. I like their 90s stuff, the CD player is the best I've heard and I had a 2000 series power amp, the big black paving slab, that was excellent.

I’d rather like to try a pair of the little Neutron IV, they were a lovely looking little speaker and the later somewhat cost-cut V sounds very good to my ears (Lordsummit has a pair). Nice soft dome tweeter and really good crossover, occasionally just a little ‘hollow’ in the upper bass the way so many ported speakers are. Great for the cash.

If you liked the Neutrons you should have a listen to the DM5s which are the same size of the Neutron IV. They sound similar to the Neutrons but both clearer and smoother at the same time.

The bad news may not stop there, sadly. If you look at the companies register, it appears AVI is a one-man show now, whose liabilities outstrip its assets.

advertisement

Back