V4Vr5yph.jpg

968mETlh.jpg

iJMkqlqh.jpg

lSK1Skeh.jpg

sc2zyX0h.jpg

Transfor is ~6" / 15cm dia!

Jamicon Main Supply Caps.

As much as I could tell

Plus some little yellow plastic bits floating about inside...

yiptjagh.jpg

Bought this from the advice pinkfishers gave me on this thread I started.
http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/powerful-integrated-amp-recomendations-£250-£400.208430/page-2

Any responses much appreciated.

Right lad, get that pcb off, we want to see what's going on underneath..
Actually it's a similar concept of the main board being upside down as in their original integrated- but that has a waffle iron heat sink as a lid on top. I changed the main PSU caps and it was tricky to get into- had to take the output transistors off the heat sink ISTR.

How does it sound? The older one is pretty impressive and mine is still going strong 18 years on.

I have one of those. I should have got addicted to the next carefully designed model will sound even better Naim drug. Glad I didn’t though.

Mine is effortless but does expose the difference in source material - vinyl, CD, streamed.

If you head over to the HDD forum Ash or Mart can probably enlighten you as to what the little yellow plastic bits are :)

Mart maybe. Ash will just say, with dripping scorn, "why on earth are you messing about with that...legacy...item? I like AVI gear, I have a CD 2000 CD player that sounds great, I've had it nearly 20 years with one DIY repair. I had a 2000 stereo power amp, the enormous paving slab version, sounded wonderful. It suffered from transformer hum, my supply at the time had a high DC offset, to which the big toroid was sensitive. When I needed service I got absolutely zero help from AVI, they just refused to service "legacy" gear. I understand that they now have a 3rd party repairer deal. However if you want Naim/Quad/Meridian levels of service and repair, forget it.

Nice honest kit from the days before AVI started inventing Watts! I like their earlier passive speakers too, the Neutron III and IV being especially nice IMO and a bit of a sleeper second hand.

Think those plastic bits maybe what's left of the MC/MM phono switch at the rear of the amp? IIRC twas an option to have one fitted...

For info. He was good for me.
Hi

Phil here from PG Electronics.

Some of you may already know that I service and repair AVI's older products up to and including the LAB series.

I also repair and overhaul almost all makes and models of turntable amplifiers and speakers from other manufacturers.

I am now remanufacturing the original Phono MM/MC PCB for the LAB series Integrated amplifier.

These brand new PCB,s will be built by myself with all UK purchased parts and tested here in London.

I would like to know how many owners would like to have this upgrade.

I expect the first batch ready sometime in late July to early August.

I will be offering a standard price for a full repair/overhaul of an amplifier and an additional charge for fitting the new PCB.

Please contact me at [email protected] for details.

If you already have a phono PCB fitted, then of course you are already sorted out.

All work carried out is of course guaranteed for 12 months

thanks in advance

Phil

Have had AVI preamp + 2 x 100w monoblocks and tuner since ... must be early eighties when they first started up in Stroud, the mono blocks are still going strong with my son in China, although the preamp needs some work, good to know about PG Electronics, will follow up on that one, thanks

What are AVI up to these these days? Just had a look at the AVI website and the forum and shop look to be gone. I got the impression that Ash sold up sometime last year or at least sold a substantial share, but it all seems rather quiet over there now. There is a list of a few dealers on the front page, but no indication of how current it is.

PS I haven’t heard from JC Brum for ages now and heard a nasty rumour he may no longer be with us, I know he had some heart surgery or something serious a few years back but I thought he had recovered ok. Can anyone confirm/deny this? He hasn’t checked in here since early Jan which is most unusual for him. I know we banged heads a little online but I did like the guy.

What are AVI up to these these days? Just had a look at the AVI website and the forum and shop look to be gone. I got the impression that Ash sold up sometime last year or at least sold a substantial share, but it all seems rather quiet over there now. There is a list of a few dealers on the front page, but no indication of how current it is.

PS I haven’t heard from JC Brum for ages now and heard a nasty rumour he may no longer be with us, I know he had some heart surgery or something serious a few years back but I thought he had recovered ok. Can anyone confirm/deny this? He hasn’t checked in here since early Jan which is most unusual for him. I know we banged heads a little online but I did like the guy.

The forum is here: http://hddaudio.net/

Looks as if JCBrum hasn't posted for quite a while.

advertisement

Back