advertisement

At last... (Audiolab) - part VIII

Hi Mr Westlake
i have upgraded my M-Dac with V0,91 Firmware but now the USB don't work very well. With foobar and kernel streaming it work good bat doesn't work well with wasapi.
I have this problem with two dac updated which also worked previously with WASAPI.
Can i reload the old firmware? how can I do?

Best regards and sorry for my bad english.
Ivano

When you say "CD selection" do you mean the 8200CD playing CD's?

Which channel is muted?

Did the 8200CD work correctly before the DSM 4.0 upgrade?

Yes, CD selection = 8200CD playing CD's.

Left channel was muted as far as I can remember. Will do additional tests tonight to verify.

Yes, the NAS was on DSM 3.2 and hooked up to the 8200CD for about a month before upgrading to DSM 4. Worked fine then. Problem started immediately upon the upgrade.

Hi Hotspot,

If its an issue with the CD/CDQ software our first thought would be incorrectly loading digital filters - on the next occurrence of the issue try changing the digital filter - see if this restores audio...

Tried, doesn't work. Will do additional tests tonight to verify. Thanks for helping!

Anyone having problems with connecting 8200CD to the Synology NAS after the DSM 4.0 upgrade?

Some details below, Synology NAS is switched on throughout the process.

1) Plug USB from Synology to 8200CD when 8200CD is switched on, switch to USB selection and listen to music, all is well.

2) Leave USB plugged in, selection is still in USB, power off 8200CD. Wait 10 minutes, switch on 8200CD and hit play. Display shows CD playing and USB shows a digital link BUT either one of the following 2 conditions will happen:
2.1) no sound on both USB and CD selections; or
2.2) Sound on only 1 channel from either selection.

3) Solution is to power-off 8200CD, disconnect USB cable from 8200CD, leave it disconnected, start 8200CD. Selection defaults to digital, sound reappears when switched back to CD.

Basically my current solution is to leave the USB cable unplugged and just hook it up when I want to listen to music on the NAS. If I leave the USB cable plugged in, weird things happen after starting 8200CD. Any clues on what's happening? :confused:

Hardware: OLED 8200CD, purchased in February. Synology 1511+, DSM 4.0

I have the SYNOLOGY DS211+ plugged directly into the USB port of the CDQ. The Synology automatically powers down when it is not being used. I fire up my laptop and connect to the router with wireless. I just fire up the web browser and login to the Synology, start the Audio Station, select the songs, output is set to USB in Audio Station and hit play. It plays flawlessly with FLACs of 1000+ bitrate. I do have one Flac that does stutter at times but it is not one I have converted so I just assume it was a bad conversion.
I was wondering if it would make any difference being able to load the 8200CDQ Driver into the Synolgy rather than its native USB audio driver.

Hi John

Would it be possible to connect a sub to the headphone circuit maybe by soldering a cable somewhere?

Thanks, Chris

hi

this is my first post, I have trawled the various subjects on the Audiolab 8200 CD but can't find what I am afteR. I want to know whether adding a usb/spdif convertor like the V-Link will bring an improvement over the USB connection I am currently using? thanks for any help

cheers

Thanks John,

Love the unit by the way. Replaced a couple of Luxman D105u players that still sound good but parts are getting a bit hairy to find these days.
Got the unit back a few days ago from having sent it off in March to be looked at! No paper work saying what if anything had been done but so far it seems to be behaving itself. So I'm afraid I can't pass on any wisdom as to what the issue was!

Hi,
(moslty dedicated to JohnW)

I read these posts since two months now. It's truly very intersting and the way "JohnW" is available is something ! (it's a real support)
Before to buy the 8200CDQ I've questions, for my understanding (sorry if the answers are somewhere in this hundred posts) :
- I saw many times "CDQ MK2" written in different posts. Does it mean a new device of the CDQ is going to be released ? Or maybe the new firmwares are the MK2 version ?
- Is it possible for the user to do a sofware upgrade of the CDQ by himself ? (I'm not sure, but I read it could be possible from a x.x version)
- What are today the latest firmwares version for the CQD (with OLED+transfomers upgrade) ?
- Do you confirm that Audiolab will do upgrades for the old CDQ versions (hardware and also for software if the upgrade is not possible by users) ? Which is a real improvement for customers compared to the majority of brands.

Thank you for your answers.....
Kind regards.

Hi,

New to the forum, I must say a lot of interesting topics, this one particularly ;-).

I just bought the 8200CD, I borrowed it for a weekend for a weekend from the dealer close to where I live as I was looking for a replacement for my aging Rega Planet, I liked it's sound very much and the extra DAC function with asynchronous USB it's a nice feature.

Since the dealer had still some old stock of units with LCD display I decided to wait for a new batch to arrive as I wanted the Oled version. Finally yesterday I could pick it up.

The problem is that although on the box there's a sticker saying "Oled display" I think I received an old one with LCD :mad:.
The display is exactly like the one the player I borrowed had, it's not brighter, it doesn't switch to double height text and it as only 3 stands for brightness, low, medium and high, while on the manual it says that there should be 8.

The software version on this player is:

Servo software 88
Mainboard software 1.1B
Control software 1.6B

What is bothering me the most is not really the display in itself but the fact, if I understood correctly, that along with it there's should be also a new transformer that could have some influence on the SQ.

This morning I reported my findings to the dealer who is in turn forwarding them to the importer and before they come back to me I would like to gather as many informations as possible.

Any information about the new transformer being adopted also in LCD unit?

Is there anyone with the Oled version who could post some pictures or check the software version of their unit?

How the Oled display should look like? The one I have has just 2 rows of dot matrix squares one on top of the other clearly separated that to me seem very unlikely they could switch to double height text without an ugly blank line in the middle.

Thanks for you answers

I am having an issue with my CDQ as well unfortunately.

It was back at IAG UK in March at which point it had the latest firmware and the OLED upgrade installed.

All was well for a while. However, now when I play music through my Mac Book Pro running Snow Leopard connected via USB the sound stops coming through after about 1min 30secs. No settings have changed on the Mac.

Sometimes, unplugging the USB cable and plugging it in again works, but it just goes off again about 2 mins later.

Also, when I start to play a track in iTunes it comes through as bad digital mixed up noise. Unplugging the USB cable and refitting it allows the music to be played normally (for upto 2 mins, when it stops again).

Thanking you in advance for any assistance on the matter.

It was back at IAG UK in March at which point it had the latest firmware and the OLED upgrade installed.

can you describe how the Oled looks like?

I read in some earlier post that a bios update on the mac could cause some problem, did your go through such update?

can you describe how the Oled looks like?

I read in some earlier post that a bios update on the mac could cause some problem, did your go through such update?

The display just reads as if it should be working, i.e. displaying 24bit 96k. Didn't know about the bois update, is this on the Mac or the CDQ. I would be keen to learn more about that please.

I mean can you describe the way it looks the display so that I can compare with mine for the problem I have, i.e. mine has two rows of dot matrix squares one on top of the other. The update of the bios is for the mac but I guess if you don't know about it obviously you didn't do it.
There was some people having problems with Apple devices earlier in one of the topics about Audiolab, if you use the search function I'm sure you find something

Got it working. Not sure how, I did install update of itunes to 10.6.1 but it could have installed something else at the same time, if I find out what I will let you know.

My display looks the same as yours I guess - like this -
images
(but brighter).

No Bios update done on the Mac or CDQ.

Hi,

New to the forum, I must say a lot of interesting topics, this one particularly ;-).

I just bought the 8200CD, I borrowed it for a weekend for a weekend from the dealer close to where I live as I was looking for a replacement for my aging Rega Planet, I liked it's sound very much and the extra DAC function with asynchronous USB it's a nice feature.

Since the dealer had still some old stock of units with LCD display I decided to wait for a new batch to arrive as I wanted the Oled version. Finally yesterday I could pick it up.

The problem is that although on the box there's a sticker saying "Oled display" I think I received an old one with LCD :mad:.
The display is exactly like the one the player I borrowed had, it's not brighter, it doesn't switch to double height text and it as only 3 stands for brightness, low, medium and high, while on the manual it says that there should be 8.

The software version on this player is:

Servo software 88
Mainboard software 1.1B
Control software 1.6B

What is bothering me the most is not really the display in itself but the fact, if I understood correctly, that along with it there's should be also a new transformer that could have some influence on the SQ.

This morning I reported my findings to the dealer who is in turn forwarding them to the importer and before they come back to me I would like to gather as many informations as possible.

Any information about the new transformer being adopted also in LCD unit?

Is there anyone with the Oled version who could post some pictures or check the software version of their unit?

How the Oled display should look like? The one I have has just 2 rows of dot matrix squares one on top of the other clearly separated that to me seem very unlikely they could switch to double height text without an ugly blank line in the middle.

Thanks for you answers

Anyone who can shed some light here?

advertisement

Back