advertisement

At last... (Audiolab) - part VIII

John,

Doh! Thanks a million. Perhaps I can buy you a beer if you ever venture to this beautiful country? On a serious note, do you have any idea when the MSERV might hit the shops? I am very tempted by the Auraliti PK90, as this 'bit perfect' USB only box seems ideal, but I have a feeling I would be better off waiting for your design. Will it be distributed in NZ?

Kevin.

Hi John,

My CDQ is: Software Version 1.6A / Servo 86 / Mainboard 1.1A. Please advise if a s/w update would be a good idea. Thanks.

Lastly (I promise!), I want to customise my headphone cable (Etymotic ET-4S) to 2x balanced XLR, so that I can use the best sounding output of the player. Given that even through the h/p output I need the volume at -15db to -25db, what ohm resistance cable should I request to mean quietest recordings could be set at around 0db? I know you have stated that listening at -15 to -25 is not too bad, I might as well drive the headphones properly now I have the opportunity. I also know how busy you are, but if you get the chance to reply I'd be eternally grateful, and this info might be of use to other users perhaps...

Cheers.

...or if anyone else who is technically-minded can answer my last point, I would be equally grateful. Oh how I now wish I had paid attention in my school physics lessons...

The difference is that the pulled data can be clocked precisely and absolutely under the control of the DAC. Whereas if the DAC has to recover the clock signal from a source such as s/pdif, which inevitably is subject to jitter, then the clocking of the DAC will be compromised. Typically such DACs have to use PLLs or ASRC, both of which introduce problems. If you don't think pulling data is a good idea, then you can't think that async USB is a good idea either - but it is, for the same reasons.

There are good white papers on Linns and Naims sites explaining this probably better than I can; for example Linn say "this architecture where the data is ‘pulled’ from the network using the clock at the DAC is inherently better than systems where the data is transported by SPDIF or USB links, where the DAC has to ‘lock’ its clock to that at the sending end." The humble Logitech Touch works just the same.
as I said, the difference is what?

On the mdac the asynchronous usb uses the clock in the dac not in the source
and the word clock output uses the clock in the dac for the spdif interface

in both cases the data is pulled from the source under the control of the dac

Kevin

don't worry about it, you're just adding unnecessary and unhelpful complexity.
The best output for headphones is the headphone output.

John's recommendation for attenuation (iirc) is primarily to do with the potential that hf artifacts may be disliked by the downstream amplifier. In the case of headphones there is no downstream amplifier - you're using the internal headphone amp which is designed to work well within the mdac.

A bit more attenuation on the volume control than you've seen recommended for output into an amp isn't going to cause a problem with the headphone output. The wiring you're proposing doing isn't going to add anything or do anything useful, but just be complex for no benefit.

Hi all. New to the the forum and can't seem to find anyone else having the same issues with their 8200cdq player. From time to time it keeps playing the CD but stops responding to any input from either the remote or the fascia buttons. Normally turning it off and on again seems to sort it out, or a reset. Today it has done the same thing. It won't reset, staying stuck on the please wait message. The software version is 2.0 C but it won't show anything else using the back and forward buttons. It's the latest oled model. Is there a way of extracting the CD from the machine? Any help welcomed!

Hi all. New to the the forum and can't seem to find anyone else having the same issues with their 8200cdq player. From time to time it keeps playing the CD but stops responding to any input from either the remote or the fascia buttons. Normally turning it off and on again seems to sort it out, or a reset. Today it has done the same thing. It won't reset, staying stuck on the please wait message. The software version is 2.0 C but it won't show anything else using the back and forward buttons. It's the latest oled model. Is there a way of extracting the CD from the machine? Any help welcomed!

Sorry to hear about your issue - this is a new one to me, but the OLED software units are quite new.

Apart from takeing the lid off, theirs no way to get the disc out without the unit operational - I wonder what the issue is with your unit...

Where are you located?

John

Sorry to hear about your issue - this is a new one to me, but the OLED software units are quite new.

Apart from takeing the lid off, theirs no way to get the disc out without the unit operational - I wonder what the issue is with your unit...

Where are you located?

John
Hi John,
I'm in Bromley in Kent, UK

Hi John,
I'm in Bromley in Kent, UK

I'm not sure how easy it would be to get your unit to Huntington? - IAG service would be able to fix your unit while you wait (by prior appointment). It sounds as if your unit has had the fault from new?

John

I'm not sure how easy it would be to get your unit to Huntington? - IAG service would be able to fix your unit while you wait (by prior appointment). It sounds as if your unit has had the fault from new?

John
If that's Huntington up past Birmingham then that's a no go! Yes it has been doing this from pretty much day one. I presume the dealer I purchased it off would be able to arrange to get it sent off to be looked at.

Martin

If that's Huntington up past Birmingham then that's a no go! Yes it has been doing this from pretty much day one. I presume the dealer I purchased it off would be able to arrange to get it sent off to be looked at.

Martin

Hi Martin,

For sure your dealer can help you out - and will make all the arrangements - just add a note stuck to the top of the units lid that your disc is still inside.

John

Hi Martin,

For sure your dealer can help you out - and will make all the arrangements - just add a note stuck to the top of the units lid that your disc is still inside.

John
Thanks John,

Love the unit by the way. Replaced a couple of Luxman D105u players that still sound good but parts are getting a bit hairy to find these days.

Hello John,
I got questions for you:
1. What is the latest firmware for 8200CD?
2. Except "OLED version" sticker, is there any other way to check my player has been upgraded? any picture or document to show this upgrade kit.

Thanks in advance.

Anyone having problems with connecting 8200CD to the Synology NAS after the DSM 4.0 upgrade?

Some details below, Synology NAS is switched on throughout the process.

1) Plug USB from Synology to 8200CD when 8200CD is switched on, switch to USB selection and listen to music, all is well.

2) Leave USB plugged in, selection is still in USB, power off 8200CD. Wait 10 minutes, switch on 8200CD and hit play. Display shows CD playing and USB shows a digital link BUT either one of the following 2 conditions will happen:
2.1) no sound on both USB and CD selections; or
2.2) Sound on only 1 channel from either selection.

3) Solution is to power-off 8200CD, disconnect USB cable from 8200CD, leave it disconnected, start 8200CD. Selection defaults to digital, sound reappears when switched back to CD.

Basically my current solution is to leave the USB cable unplugged and just hook it up when I want to listen to music on the NAS. If I leave the USB cable plugged in, weird things happen after starting 8200CD. Any clues on what's happening? :confused:

Hardware: OLED 8200CD, purchased in February. Synology 1511+, DSM 4.0

2) Leave USB plugged in, selection is still in USB, power off 8200CD. Wait 10 minutes, switch on 8200CD and hit play. Display shows CD playing and USB shows a digital link BUT either one of the following 2 conditions will happen:

When you say "CD selection" do you mean the 8200CD playing CD's?

Which channel is muted?

Did the 8200CD work correctly before the DSM 4.0 upgrade?

Hi John,
My 8200CD firmware as below:
Control software version 2.0C
Servo software version 88
Mainboard software version 1.6B

Is this the latest firmware???

My 8200CD has a "V12E" sticker on the rear panel. So is my player OLED version?

Hi John,
My 8200CD firmware as below:
Control software version 2.0C
Servo software version 88
Mainboard software version 1.6B

Is this the latest firmware???

My 8200CD has a "V12E" sticker on the rear panel. So is my player OLED version?

Hi t30,

The V12E label means nothing to me - its been added by some marketing genius in China - I've seen it and didn't bother to ask why and what - a cheap looking poorly designed sticker...

On the OLED versions of the CD / CDQ the text can be enlarged and brightness adjusted from the remote handset - by holding down the 2 right hand side lower buttons on the remote handset.

Anyone having problems with connecting 8200CD to the Synology NAS after the DSM 4.0 upgrade?

Some details below, Synology NAS is switched on throughout the process.

1) Plug USB from Synology to 8200CD when 8200CD is switched on, switch to USB selection and listen to music, all is well.

3) Solution is to power-off 8200CD, disconnect USB cable from 8200CD, leave it disconnected, start 8200CD. Selection defaults to digital, sound reappears when switched back to CD.

Basically my current solution is to leave the USB cable unplugged and just hook it up when I want to listen to music on the NAS. If I leave the USB cable plugged in, weird things happen after starting 8200CD. Any clues on what's happening? :confused:

Hardware: OLED 8200CD, purchased in February. Synology 1511+, DSM 4.0

Hi Hotspot,

If its an issue with the CD/CDQ software our first thought would be incorrectly loading digital filters - on the next occurrence of the issue try changing the digital filter - see if this restores audio...

advertisement

Back