advertisement

At last... (Audiolab) - part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dominik,
I was not referring to an iPad... my mistake in making you assume that. I was thinking of using an ethernet connection from a UPnP/DLNA router to the DAC and play files from an external HDD. Of course the router and HDD would be in another room. Wireless is fine, but my SB Touch works better a physical cable connection. I assume it has to do with having to do less things at the same time.
best regards
André

OK, did a measurement of the temperature of the CDQ when it feels hot.

It is indeed between 40 to 46 degress C as mentioned by John.

So I guess I was worrying for nothing. :D Sorry.

Hi Dominik, according to the user manual, it is mentioned that the USB port on the CDQ can be used to upgrade some software for the CDQ.

So is this still valid? If so, what can be upgraded using the USB port?

If not, then I guess any upgrade will have to be done by the dealers right:confused:

I've snapped and ordered myself a Squeezebox Touch, which I'm expecting early next week. I'll report back on the USB connectivity unless someone else beats me to it.

I guess there's always ebay if it doesn't work :)

Dear Dominik,

the german distributor told me that they don't have your new firmware (with the CD player remote mode) or rather haven't received it yet. When will the firmware update be available in Germany? And can i patch the CDQ on my own?

Thank you very much!

My friend has decided to sell his 8200 cd at a bargain price so I am going for that , got a good deal on it £450 only 3 weeks old thought he was a bit mad but hey I wasnt complaining what so ever, may not be the CDQ but I only wanted the DAC function anyways.

Wayne

I aint sure to be honest, demo'd that model in the shop and as I personally only have an integrated 8000s of yesteryear this model will suit me down to the ground at least until the new Q Dac comes out later in the year, the DAC is the same as the CDQ and for £450 less than that I aint going to complain for sure!!

I presume the CD just has the dac function like for example a Beresford or a Cambridge, you dont get a digital volume control in those and I guess this is the same as those two

But at £450 im chuffed , would have been great if they had included headphone capability on the 8200cd sort of like a beresford Caiman has, then it would have been perfect, I have no need for preamp functionality

Just received my active Adam Audio Compacts today. All excited I stripped the old hifi and boxed it up. Boxed the old speakers, cleaned and polished the stand, blah blah....set up the new speakers and CDQ and off we go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Except we didn't go anywhere. The CDQ has been losing the left channel if I switch between analogue and digital preamps for a few days..Today it has locked up alltogether..BASTARD.. it switches on but nothing else happens either by remote control or the fascia buttons. Can't even get my cd out:confused:

Does anyone else think there have been too many teething problems with these units?

I hope Lintone have a replacement tomorrow but I'll not be holding my breath.

Seems these were released without proper fieldwork. Relays and/or software should not go awry in the modern market.

I'm quite angry. I n case anybody hasn't noticed.

For what it's worth my advice would be to wait for a different batch, or buy another product.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

A total shame as the SQ is quite fantastic imo.

Rant done.:mad:

Anyone know of a cd player of comparable sound quality? I'm happy to forgoe the pre amp, headphone and dac for reliability.

Cheers, Arthur.

Does anyone else think there have been too many teething problems with these units?

Cheers, Arthur.

There's always problems with a new product no matter what the size of the manufacturer. However with such a hyped product on an audio forum they will always be exacerbated IMO. It still sucks for you though. :(

Just received my active Adam Audio Compacts today. All excited I stripped the old hifi and boxed it up. Boxed the old speakers, cleaned and polished the stand, blah blah....set up the new speakers and CDQ and off we go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Except we didn't go anywhere. The CDQ has been losing the left channel if I switch between analogue and digital preamps for a few days..Today it has locked up alltogether..BASTARD.. it switches on but nothing else happens either by remote control or the fascia buttons. Can't even get my cd out:confused:

Seems these were released without proper fieldwork. Relays and/or software should not go awry in the modern market.

For what it's worth my advice would be to wait for a different batch, or buy another product.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Anyone know of a cd player of comparable sound quality? I'm happy to forgoe the pre amp, headphone and dac for reliability.

Cheers, Arthur.

sorry to hear about your problems I have gone for the 8200cd due to being worried about the cdq I actually had one on order and cancelled it!, the 8200 cd as far as im aware hasnt had as many issues I havent seen any reports of them going pear shaped and I am sure they sold all units on the UK

I bet John has one big headache with this it aint his fault im sure but whoever his making his fine designs, I have had Audiolab for years from the glory days my 8000s was made in mid 1990s and never has put a foot wrong

Wayne

Cheers, Arthur.

As regards a Cd player i'd go for a Rega for sure cheaper and top notch stuff

heres a link

http://www.rega.co.uk/html/planet.htm

you can pick them upon ebay and also Rotel are good in my opinion depends what you are after and don't forget Marantz

I'll be trying out the Rega dac when I take the cdq back tomorrow. That of course means shagging around trying to find a decent transport too.

Perhaps an appolo might be the thing?

Sick as a twat:(

Think I meant Jupiter??

you did but considering how annoyed you must feel it has to be expected.

Wayne

I have never seen a duff Rega product or owned one they look a bit Star Wars but they have sound quality to match the looks

they are all named after planets and space themes I think although the Uranus as you'd expect is at the back end of production at the moment and the pluto has been shelved completely for now , it may come back though!!

why can't they just exchange it?

They may well be able to.

But there are not too many in England apparently and I'm not prepared to wait months.

In any case, unless the comments around here are overstepping the mark, they don't seem to reliable, at least the first batch.

So to a more reliable operator I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back