advertisement

At last... (Audiolab) - part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
My sincere condolences too John.

It was an honour and a pleasure to meet you on Saturday, albeit brief. You are a true gent.

For those who ask, "why can't we upgrade the firmware ourselves" it's useful to know the level of complexity this task entails. There are several sets of code to change, some of them not accessible via the USB interface. It is also a process not entirely without risks, as JW would undeniably admit ;)
UNQUOTE

Hi Plutox,

as i have just checked with my Greek distributor, the Audiolab Group has not replied to his e-mail with instructions how to do the software upgrade yet. (he sent his request last Friday). Since you were present, does the proceedure involces opening up the unit and change some hardware also or is the new software isntalled with a flash memory chip or something else please???
We would wellcome your input since JohnW will be unavailable for a couple of weeks...

thanks,

Nikos

Hi John,

I am sorry to hear what happened. My condolences to you and your family. May all things run smoothly as you settle matters.

Isaac

...does the proceedure involces opening up the unit and change some hardware also or is the new software isntalled with a flash memory chip or something else please???
Please take the following with a pinch of salt but here's what I believe -

• The main reason the update cannot be done by the user is the lack of a safety buffer i.e. if the update process goes wrong, you have an expensive brick on your hands.

• At least one of the subsystems has to be updated with what I assume was part of the processor-maker's development kit, and access involves opening the box, removing a supporting brace and unplugging an internal connector that is slightly awkwardly positioned - although JW pointed out that later production would ease this last aspect.

All this adds up to a job that is strictly for trained technicians. Not only that, but whoever does the job needs to be prepared for the (small) possibility that a failure to re-program effectively kills the unit beyond simple recovery.

In summary, not a job to undertake without very good reason.

John,

So sorry to hear about your Father and condolences to you and your family at this difficult time.

Dave.

My condolences too John. Your Dad had a lovely, talented bloke for Son that's for sure.

Anyone want to ask any questions about the Audiolab equipment ask me, I'll try my best to make stuff up as i go along. ;)

many thanks Plutox.

Did the upgrade solve any issues you might had with reading problems of the cd-rom drive in the first place?
The only reason i am thinking of the upgrade is the occasional reading failures of normal cds (not copies of cd-r)

Best regards,

Nikos

Hi all, first of all my condolences to John for his loss.

I was one of the first users of the CDQ, very happy with the SQ, but I'm experiencing a very annoying issue recently, being: trouble with the output level.
Already twice I had the volume level counting down to max (which is not good because I'm using balanced cables and a bryston 3BSST2 to my PMC Fact.8 and maximum output is not healthy for either - my ears get unhappy at anything above -25dB or so). I thought it was a problem with the knobs and that one was blocked, but...

Unfortunately I am now getting max output volume while the indicated level on the display is at -48dB (or lower, whatever I can put on)...
Any help appreciated (Dominik?)...while I try to find other ways of limiting output.

Hi wouter,

Hold Prev & Next buttons pressed while switching on your CDQ. This resets settings.

When does the ramping happen? While operating the keys/remote or just sitting idle?

Dominik

Hi John,

Sorry to hear about your Father and condolences to you and your family - my thoughts are with you.

Kindest regards,

Andrew

I have just ordered the Audiolab poweramps, and some Chord balanced cables, and a pair of Kef Q700 speakers. Hope this will be a good decision.

Well...LOL. The Audio Innovations belongs to my son, and of course WHO PAID FOR THE BORDER PATROL UPGRADE ?....anyway. The AI will take a few weeks to run in but its been back with us for 2 weeks now. Using with the Mission 752, very nice indeed. I was surprised with the Snell's, stands unfilled horrible treble and hard mid range. Stands filled, there is an improvement, but hardness in the treble/midrange, this could be due to the Russian valves running in, and the caps. So to day I went speaker searching, decided on the KefQ700 ( If I cast my mind back to the early nineties, the 105 went nice with AI amps) I decided there and then...to hell with it, I got some of MY NHS pension through, and I am tired of always having to get everything secondhand, barter, swop, credit card etc. I just want a complete matching system. From what I have heard, the Audiolab poweramps are quite good, and musical, and of course I can use my CDQ as the preamp, my NVA phono will route through the AUX. I do like the Audio Innovations S500, and always did like AI amps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back